Will the Falklands debacle soon be repeated?

Lucas, no doubt that Argentina, along with the U.S. and England had valid claims to these islands back in 1833, when they were a focal point for the stratigically valuable Straits of Magellan. The Panama Canal opened in 1912, making the islands obselete in their location. They are now, and have been for 178 years settled by people who for all practical purposes are English, and thanks to Argentine use of force will probably be so for another few generations at least. They have no value other than national pride for Argentina or England. It is time to get over this dispute and forgive and forget. There are tons of other more pressing issues that both nations have to confront. I doubt that few of the poor soldiers on both sides who fought and died in that war would say it was worth it. War is only the failure of diplomacy and directed by politicians who are the only beneficiaries of war. I was on the islands before the war and feel sorry for any of the soldiers on both sides who fought there.

captainmcd said:
Lucas, no doubt that Argentina, along with the U.S. and England had valid claims to these islands back in 1833, when they were a focal point for the strategically valuable Straits of Magellan. The Panama Canal opened in 1912, making the islands obsolete in their location.

No quite so, captain....remember that attached to that possession not only are the natural resources of the islands themselves, but....and here come the jackpot.....the whole of Antarctica (claiming rights) having the other half already in Australians hands this part of the world still in dispute and that is the main point of all this dispute not only from the British side but more important from the USA side to have a say in all this.

Ive thought about and dismissed replying to this post a few times.
At the risk of inflaming the sensibilities of the blindly misinformed patriotic democraphic of argentines here my opinion.

I was born in argentina , and lived in the states since 1967 . We moved to NY when I was around four years old.
I feel that because of this , I skirted the indoctrination that most argentine schoolchildren receive as part of their schooling. I also feel that it is an important point when considering this issue.
From an argentine point of view , the islands are property stolen by the evil English imperial pirates. This argument starts and ends with that.
i have attempted to debate this issue with well educated people , but to no vail. There is no compromise by their behalf on this issue.
I also feel that because of this attitude , there will be little or no progress in the comming generations.
My position is that there is a valid claim by GB and a right to dispute it by argentina. However , this is dismissed outright by anyone that has been educated in the argentine school system. I feel that this is because they have never been given the true facts of Britanias' history on the islands.
I post here a link to the wikipedia entry for the history of the islands. It makes complete sense , its a very elegant and easily understood history of the timeline from their discovery by the dutch to the goatfuck that resulted in the needless deaths of many human beings.
Personally , I feel ha the bottom line rests on the self determination and will of the actual population of the islands to choose wose flag they want to fly.

Typical Argentine 'cipayaje', many of these individuals are here three, four months of the year at the most, particularly holidaying and doing their business in Recoleta-Palermo area, they spend the rest of the year in Miami, French Riviera, Monaco etc., Pro-Macri lovers, Pro anti-Argentinian and what is more important, Pro-all foreign things are better......

How can you even atempt to call me a cipayo without even knowing the first thing about me ?
Pull up a stool son , and Ill "learn ya".
Cipayo , is the argentine that attains a goverment office to profit , that person who steals the votes of the people and then uses that office for personal gain , ignoring the fact that he/she has a responsibility to his constituents.
A Cipayo is the fella that bootlegs cancer medication , or AIDS medication with the rationalisation that cancer has no cure , so hes gonna insert into the industry nothing but vials of water. And hes gonna make a healty profit.
Cipayo is the bank teller that makes a dime pointing out people that withdraw monies to a criminal gang , so they can be wasted in the process of robbing them.
Cipayo is a goverment employee that "sells" drivers licences, gun licences , health department licences , ad infinitum.
Cipayo , my dear lucas is an argentine that SELLS OUT his countrymen.
Pro all foreighn things are better ? well , it dont take much considering the state of affairs .......
I have no claim to those islands. Argentinas past and current track record is that they bring it up to get popular support . The Malvinas son argentinas button is one that gets pushed often by administrations when they want popular support

Lucas said:
People sometimes ask me why Argentinians make such an endless fuss about the islands they call Las Malvinas.

The answer is simple. The Falklands belong to Argentina.

They just happen to have been seized, occupied, populated and defended by Britain.

You mean kind of like the entirety of the Americas was seized from the previous owners, occupied and populated by the Spanish, Portuguese, English and French?

I think argentines would sooo benefit from knowing the entire story about the islands , its entire history.
They are indoctrinated with one sided reasoning.
I recall living here in '78 when argentina was about to invade chile. There were simulated black outs , just like in WWII , I remember seeing it in a program called Monica Presenta. All day long there would be televised "information" vignetts of how the treacherous Chileans betreyed the good will of the benevolent and innocent argentine peoples .
Entire programs dedicated to how the surveying was forged , etc etc, ad nauseum.

Its really sad how that stuck in the minds of the argentine people. Ask any argentine person about their opinion about chileans , and you automatically get a derrogatory comment. And if you follow that up with a " WHY", they will say they dont know , that its just the way it is .
I truly feel that if argentines took the position of LISTENING to the fact that the kelpers dont want to be ruled by argentina , and that this is an issue thats BEGS for openmindedness and dialogue , things would be beter off . I feel they wouldnt be viewed like stubborn 2 year olds.

Fabe said:
I think argentines would sooo benefit from knowing the entire story about the islands , its entire history.
They are indoctrinated with one sided reasoning.
I recall living here in '78 when argentina was about to invade chile. There were simulated black outs , just like in WWII , I remember seeing it in a program called Monica Presenta. All day long there would be televised "information" vignetts of how the treacherous Chileans betreyed the good will of the benevolent and innocent argentine peoples .
Entire programs dedicated to how the surveying was forged , etc etc, ad nauseum.

Its really sad how that stuck in the minds of the argentine people. Ask any argentine person about their opinion about chileans , and you automatically get a derrogatory comment. And if you follow that up with a " WHY", they will say they dont know , that its just the way it is .
I truly feel that if argentines took the position of LISTENING to the fact that the kelpers dont want to be ruled by argentina , and that this is an issue thats BEGS for openmindedness and dialogue , things would be beter off . I feel they wouldnt be viewed like stubborn 2 year olds.

I totally agree with you but also think that it would be great for us British nationals to get the full history of the Falkland/Malvinas.

And at the same time , I would love to know why we gave Hong Kong back to the Chinese without consulting with the HK residents.

And I think I will leave independence for Scotland ( England's first colony?) for another thread:):):)

Back