Wine Drinkers Unite

I highly recommend Paz (big bold label) from San Juan area, we've had blends, Cab, Cab Franc and straight malbec, both delicious, rich. Sorry can't remember price 90 p ? First found it in sm wine shop, but a few days ago bought it at Disco. Brought it to a friend's dinner party last night, everybody raved about it.
Nancy

Frenchie what you say is interesting but not helpful === give this forum what your thoughts are on the various price points.. the vinters and the various varieties produced... just saying there are differences or similarities we all know those things.. unless you wish another posting put to your name which I do not think is the case.. we need to separate out the details so we can all enjoy as a category here Semana Santa!

I'll start with a bottle in the 35 pesos range (can be found in some Jumbos I guess).
It's a mix of bonarda & malbec. For that price, it's worth giving it a try to taste something else than the usual Fond de cave, Terrazas, Nieto Sietener and such.

vino-dada-lo-nuevo-de-finca-las-moras_MLA-O-3443323221_112012.jpg

I'll start with a bottle in the 35 pesos range (can be found in some Jumbos I guess).
It's a mix of bonarda & malbec. For that price, it's worth giving it a try to taste something else than the usual Fond de cave, Terrazas, Nieto Sietener and such.

Mais quoi? Pas du tout! I am utterly surprised to see a Frenchman talking about wines from other countries than France in a positive way.

Mais quoi? Pas du tout! I am utterly surprised to see a Frenchman talking about wines from other countries than France in a positive way.

More and more wineries in Mendoza are owned by French interests.
Also, due to global warming, French Champagne producers already bought in the UK some pieces of land which have the same geological properties as in the Champagne region. Imagine the French symbol of Champagne produced on the other side of the Channel in a few decades! That's shocking.

Small priced Argentinean wines are mostly better than French wines in the same category.

For expensive wines, France is still ahead but some Argentinean expensive wines really are amazing too.

I want to try a Romanée-Conti once in my life (5 to 6.000 USD bottle, ouch), then I can die happily.

Great to see French people getting involved in the business there. Many of the original winegrowers around Mendoza also came from Southern Europe, right? I mean not just the general immigration patterns in Argentina, but actual people who had experience with vineyards. For me, the best wine is still French, with Italy being a close second.

The area around Mendoza is heavily reminiscent of Southern Europe anyway, just like some parts of Cordoba province.

My FAVORITE FAVORITE FAVORITE since 6 months ago is Familia Gascón Malbec, hovering around the 30-35 peso rate in the chinos (more in the big supermarkets).

Alan at BuenosTours just posted an article about their wine faves from the chino: http://www.buenostours.com/argentine-wine-grocery-store-picks

Frenchie, I think you missed the news: DRC Current releases USD13-15k per bottle. :eek: The Chinese are killing us for Bourgogne and Bordeaux.

Settle for the AF Gros Grand Cru - still less than a thousand!

I'll second this recommendation

For every day Concha y Toro Cabernet or Merlot $15? also Spumante $22

For other occasions Finca La Linda or Finca Flichman around $40..!!!

Back