Wine Drinkers Unite

splaying

Registered
Every day most of us consume at least one or more bottles of vino as the prices of this one substance is far better than when living elsewhere in the world or in my world .. I am asking all of you to discuss your vino experiences.. Some drink really cheap wine and some box wines - I wish to get above that category for this posting;.. Then there are the drinkers in the 25 to 40 peso class which might make up a large percentage of the folks here but then it is my just surmising those facts. then above is perhaps the 40 to 100 category; then it its the beyond.. for everyday drinking or the special nights.. What I would like to propose here is a forum where we all list say two of our everyday wines along with the price point we feel that category is for us; and then list at least one of our special wines which we might purchase for an occasion of any special type.. some of us buy at cotto or jumbo .. selections depending on the store and the location are much different too.. often times we buy blind. we do not know how a wine tastes and it if is tasting well so is it money well spent too. this way we can give each other ideas -- I must admit ideas are personal in nature but it is not like the clerk in the wine store telling you this and that about the wine he is trying to sell you for whatever purpose or for you to go to the grocery store to pick some bottle off the shelf too. Perhaps we can share our latest purchase within a short period of time as certain wines only last so long.. is it the wine, the price, whatever all we wish to share with each other.. I obviously would like to know -- of course a wine tasting would be great too but we are all not going to be together at the same time for such an event. Every day we pick wines off the shelf of stores to enjoy with our meals. I thought it might be nice to share our thoughts with our friends here on BAExpats... if you are in agreement then I guess you will contribute to this new forum. If this forum has happened in the past I do not know of it but it never hurts to keep exploring this habit of vino drinking and pleasure in our lives here too. I hope you all wish to enjoy and explore this site for good vinos at a good price too. Thanks for listening to me. Walter

Hi Walter....

I'm fine with the Trapiche Varietals at 25 pesos per bottle....

But I'm even more happy with the DV Catena Cabernet-Malbec that I found at 78 per bottle....or the Altimus 2008 at 150 pesos....that's a good deal!

The great news about Argentinian wine...you often end up paying the right price for what you are drinking...we cannot say the same thing for everything here....

I'm a huge wine fan and used to host semi regular expat wine tastings but that sort of petered out when a number of the regulars moved away. If there is revived interest I'd by more than happy to set it up again.

Ones ive has in the lást 2 Weeks that I remember.

Casarena Rama Negra cabsav - 120. Nothing special, give it a miss.
Animal syrah 2007 - 45 pesos. great wine once, not aged well.
AVE memento (07 i think) - 240 -dos pulgares muy arriba! Honestly I haven't stopped thinking about this wine since I had it. Wow!
Gran lurton 08 - 50 pesos. Very nice, great QPR for a cab, had maybe 10 bottles of this over the years, a fallback.
Quertos Malbec - 15 pesos. Guy who sold it to me said I'd love it so much I'd be back begging for more but these were the last 2 bottles he had, honestly after trying it if he has more next time I see him, I'm going to smack him in the head with it. Stay far away!
Chacra Pinot Noir 2011 - 430 - honestly this is always good but this vintage is above and beyond the normal. Absolutely stunning example of the variety. Pure exhilarating pleasure! Sorry Frenchies but this shames some of burgundy's finest. Will be having another bottle soon! Who pays for it depends on a bet I made with a vino buddy of mine, fingers crossed it won't be me. :)
Durruguti (that is misspelled). Cabernet s reserve (08 I think) - 110 - yum yum, great wine from a winery that is hitting home runs across the board( check out the la Madrid bonarda)
La Linda "corte reservado" Malbec & Syrah 2008 - 43 - will update in a few hours ;)

Frenchie what you say is interesting but not helpful === give this forum what your thoughts are on the various price points.. the vinters and the various varieties produced... just saying there are differences or similarities we all know those things.. unless you wish another posting put to your name which I do not think is the case.. we need to separate out the details so we can all enjoy as a category here Semana Santa!

Great idea. I agree with Frenchie that small wine producers are often overlooked .
I am just drinking a Tamari Malbec 2011 by Bodegas Tamari and at 20 pesos it is a steal. Great everyday wine.
Another great find was VHImini Malbec ,only appeared at the local chino for 2 weeks or so. Not a great wine, but I had expected paintstripper with the price of 7pesos but it was not ugly,even though I bought it almost as a dare.

I relate the latter as there is an idea that cheaper means worse,the same as when they hear that products are de segunda marca. However this is only so in non wine producing countries. Producers that do not have the access to the international market route sell for a lot less. While I enjoy the wines of some of the big houses I would love it if diversity could be preserved.

By the way splaying- I'm not ignoring your pm, just been really busy lately, sorry!

What's interesting is to post the names of small wine producers.

Some bottles at 40 pesos can be much better than others priced in the +120 pesos.

Along these lines I'm putting together an order with domaine st Diego, awesome wines for great prices, direct to consumers no distribution no wholesale. Here is a write up on the winery http://www.vinesofmendoza.com/blog/2011/04/16/the-magic-of-domaine-st-diego/. I have to arrange shipping from Mendoza to capital so the more the merrier if anyone is interested in buying together, prices will probably be about 350 for the "case". The options will probably be Pura Sangre, Malbec/cab Sauvignon, light pass through used oak and paradigma Malbec cab franc cab Sauvignon, no oak. Prices are the same for both.

Nice suggestions in this thread. It is certainly true that in Argentina it is hard to find cheap wine that would be completely tasteless, something that happens to me often in Europe (Well, rioja in Spain is pretty much always good but perhaps compared to you people I just have no taste anyway).

I will be moving to Buenos Aires this summer/winter (for you, winter) and I am going to take your suggestions into consideration.

Maybe that's a healthy thing too, in BA I drink with more moderation, because over here I am permanently tempted to buy those pesky, seductive cute glasses of red wine for 1 euro in almost every bar at sight.

For those on a budget, the Finca Flichman wines are pretty good and only around 25 pesos, as are the San Felipe wines in the squat bottles. Also like "Cosecha Tardia" white by Cafayate, more of a light and fruity girly wine.

Back