Wine Tasting

I couldn't "like" your post, because I am very much anti-Anuva. But I agree with you on the rest, especially Marcela at Vinoteca 1912.

The cost aside, I found Anuva a pleasant surprise. It was not exclusively gringos, but also a couple resident Brazilians came. The tapas were good, and the wine selection avoided the big bodegas. You could argue that it's overpriced, but the quality was still good.

There are many options availables at CAVE (Centro Argentino de Vinos y Espirituosas), Escuela Argentina de Sommeliers and the main gastronomy schools. I follow some blogs, like vinarquia, logia petit verdot, and the big wine theory.

There is a variety of regular wine tastings around the city, you just need to keep an eye out on social media. Depending on what you're looking for there are big events when you can try a lot or more guided tastings at a wine shop or bar.

The bsas4u one, that is at Joaquin Alberdi, the already mentioned wine shop in Palermo Soho and they regularly hold wine tastings, so I would just book through the shop, and not deal with the tour company booking.

If you're looking for something close to your home, just start visiting your local wine shops and ask them if they do tastings, many can/may organize something for you.

Gracias! I dropped a mail to CAVE and I will sure stop by some wine shops to ask. I passed in front of the one in La Lucila many times.

The cost aside, I found Anuva a pleasant surprise. It was not exclusively gringos, but also a couple resident Brazilians came. The tapas were good, and the wine selection avoided the big bodegas. You could argue that it's overpriced, but the quality was still good.

Was brazilian, american, canada and noisy Irish (sorry fellow tasters) when we went, that said the price was in dollars. I think it would slow the pace of the evening down if you had to translate and certainly Spanish was not an option (my parents included) for many.

Wineguy - are the generally just spoofing or did you have a specific incident? Mildly curious, it's the only tasting I have ever been too that didn't involve whisky or craft beer so they could have sold me any old pony.

Was brazilian, american, canada and noisy Irish (sorry fellow tasters) when we went, that said the price was in dollars. I think it would slow the pace of the evening down if you had to translate and certainly Spanish was not an option (my parents included) for many.

I think their target audience is obviously gringos, and they also want people to subscribe to their subscription service (they have an office in California). That said, I would characterize their service as definitely soft-sell. The Brazilians at my tasting spoke decent English, for what that's worth.

Wineguy - are the generally just spoofing or did you have a specific incident? Mildly curious, it's the only tasting I have ever been too that didn't involve whisky or craft beer so they could have sold me any old pony.

I am not just a cantankerous old bastard - I'm also a wine educator. I read Anuva's wine blog regularly, and the amount of bad information given there makes me cringe - and I can only imagine what they tell people at the tastings. While this may seem like nit-picking to many, I can't stand that people with very little knowledge are in positions where people believe what they say as the gospel truth.

Yes, they are in the business of selling the wines that they export, but they pass themselves off as sommeliers, and some of them barely seem to know enough to successfully pull the cork out of a bottle.

Back