Witnessed A Robbery...

I was in a taxi going towards Belgrano on thursday at 3pm as I saw my first real robbery go down.

A woman in her 50-60's was walking alone down Libertador at Maure.

That's where they attempted to rob me as well (I had my purse strap across my body though and they couldn't get it). Same street, same time. I used to live right there and sadly despite the fact that there is a cop at the corner of Maure and Migueletes, there are doormen everywhere - there are lots of issues.

Makes me sad.

Phones stolen from zipped, UNSLASHED,? Purses? I've heard of bags so quickly and cleverly slashed that the owners were unaware till a half hour or more had passed after the crime! So sorry this has happened to you . I wonder how many men have had their Subte cards pick pocketed as well...
I can't even find my own phone in my bag when I want to, so how do they know where to grab the phone from, when I don't even know where it's gone in the depths of my bag? (An argument for big bags that you don't clean out too regularly)
Hmmmmm. That's really scary! But leads to some good revenge fantasies, like chile oil in fake phone case or Subte cards that have some sticky or oily substance on them causing the robber to have very sticky fingers...then look for the annoyed looking person desperately wiping their hands...gotcha! WD4? Cayenne pepper oil? Extract of poison ivy?......or an iPhone case filled with dog excrement. In a zip lock bag of course....would they then be caught "holding the bag"......?

HAHA! Just put a mousetrap in your purse!

Great idea libra! But how will I keep from trapping myself? Remember the interior of my bag is a kind of no woman's land! (Ouch!)

My friend who has lived here 9 years got his gold chain snatched I never knew he was wearing a gold chain and the guy ran through the crazy traffic to get away....not worth getting hit by a car but it taught me a good lesson

Hi all. I'm writing you from halfway up a mountain in Caburgua, Chile. I get here only by cablecar and I have a nice fire burning in the wood stove. It's colder up here on the mountain of course. But it is cozy and beautiful! I wish I could read this whole thread but--I don't have time.

Notebook.fix, you have my admiration. I have a few problems with the idea of "just give them your purse." I know others who do as well. One woman who, along with her husband, fought 3 men and neither of them lost their wallets--while 20 people stood by and watched (nary a single "Notebook.fix" type in THAT crowd) now carries a small can of mace or pepper spray in her hand whenever she is walking.

These are people like you, Notebook. They aren't putting up with it. A little gal I know--a forestry engineer of all things, for a woman--had an attempted robbery at knifepoint, refused to let them have her purse, raised her hand to fend off the knife and had to have her hand sewed up at the hospital. A man like you came along and took action and the robbers ran. That same little forestry engineer, not long ago, walking with her brother and sister in the subway tunnel, saw someone taking money out of her sister's purse. She tried to call her brother's attention, he was talking and didn't let himself be interrupted. so she chased the guy down, caught him just as he entered the open subte door and by then some more men--like you, Notebook, got involved, the guy fell at the subte door, Luisa right on top of him and she got her sister's money back just as the police arrived. He could have claimed SHE was robbing HIM but he was so mad and so busy cussing her, that he didn't deny the robbery.

You know, standing up for things can be dangerous. If someone invaded our country and we defended it, it would be dangerous. Doing the right thing can be dangerous and we CAN lose our lives. But I really have problems with all this advice if someone robs you, let them have what they want. What kind of place will we be living in if all the "Notebox.fix" types become cooperative with crime?.

I really question this attitude. I don't criticize it--but I question it big time. i hope if someone tries to take my purse on the street, you will attend my funeral because my friends are mostly back in the States and it will be a lonely one otherwise, because I don't think it is in me to just hand it over. I also watch on the subway for someone attempting to rob someone else since I lost my wallet on the subway--yes--out of a zipped-up purse. But I only lost it once. It has been attempted since then. But I'm wise now--but maybe not wise enough. Not gonna brag here! But Notebook.fix, and you others that are like him, I am cheering!

Glad you are warm and writing Arlean. As always, I enjoy your writing. But I don't completely agree with your perspective....i think you have to pick your battles, and not make the mistake of picking a losing one. Then you will never have another opportunity to further your cause...
A purse and it's contents, altho highly intimate and valuable to the wearer, is not a life. It's just a thing. Your life is irreplaceable. Your valuables are not.
By the way, do share the secret of preventing zipped bag access. Please! You'll be doing us females a public service.
By the way I never use the subway because I've heard too many stories like this. (And because I'm lazy and the nearest subway is 8 blocks away....)

La Coqueta, you could very well be right. Also thanks for the kind words.

Maybe we should also be prepared for those battles. But I don't know. . . . . the woman who carries the pepper spray (or whatever it is) and, with her husband, fought off those men says to me,"Arlean, where's your mace?" | then take it out of my purse and carry it--to please her. She's not what I'd call a friend (I don't know her that well) but she's a tough cookie for sure. It may be a matter of personality. The forestry engineer has a sister who was robbed in B.A. and was so traumatized her family had to come and move her back to Viedma. She was in law school in B.A. I have three NRA certificatioins to teach firearms in three categories because I don't believe a woman should be a helpless victim and she is, against a man or several men, unless she can defend herself or has someone who can defend her. But as you see, I believe in resisting criminals. To me it is foolish to put oneself in the position of being defenseless. But Argentina seems to favor defenselessness. I could be wrong about that too. Again, La Coqueta, I'm not disagreeing with you at all. You're probably the smart one!

Whatever you're carrying, you better be prepared to access it and use it quicker than the person pointing a gun in your nose can squeeze a trigger or shove that blade a foot fwd into your kidney or liver.

Can you?

99% of the time I would bet on the assailant.

Your best weapon is having your head up and being aware. That awareness ought to include knowing when the odds are stacked against you. When they are, hand it over and walk away to complain online.

Like having a gun or a knife and being prepared to actually use it.

Do not think anyone really knows how they will respond on any given day when confronted with a dangerous situation: robbery. The one thing I have been told by almost all my AR friends is, do not fight with the perpetuator because if you injure them you are going to jail for assault and be liable for injury. Do not really know the laws all that well here. Everyone is so adamant about it, think there may be a degree of truth in what they say. Siting in jail is not on my list of things to do in Argentina. Hope everyone stays safe.

Back