Wonderful economic history of Argentina

This country is the world's economic enigma, like Japan but poor. The answer will not be revealed in any economic model but in the culture and people's behaviour.

Personally I don't see Argentina getting significantly better or significantly worse, just continuing in cycles of highs and lows and the occasional explosive fit of mania when it forgets to take its valium.

I'm stuck here for family reasons, but why do so many expats suffer through this? Family, too?

A famous Brazilian Politician once said.."Argentina IS and will Always be the country with most POTENTIAL" (Tongue-in-Cheek)

I'm stuck here for family reasons, but why do so many expats suffer through this? Family, too?
Good question! Friends. GF. Adventure. Climate. Meat. Wine. Mountains. Also, I do not depend on the economy here and get paid in USD. A lot less suffering. But with the border closed things have gotten a lot more difficult. Before you could just fly to the US or Chile to purchase things not available or to expensive here. Or just escape the chaos for a little while. It was never my plan to stay for the rest of my life here, either.

I was never particularly sociable back home but since moving here for some reason I've managed to build up quite a decent circle of friends, both Argentines and foreigners. Sure, some of them probably still see me as more of an 'outsider' but I enjoy myself, so what the heck.

Not to mention the diverse and spectacular scenery in this country... apart from the US I'm honestly struggling to name a single country with so many amazing places to visit within its borders. All sorts of outdoor activities you can think of at a fraction of European prices, with diverse cities and easy access to so many more places elsewhere in S America.

It's also a lot cheaper than most of Europe/North America assuming you're paid in dollars. I'm sort of on a sabbatical now so the little work that I do, I do online, but even without using my savings I'm enjoying a higher quality of life here with way less money. Rent is 1/5th of what I used to be paying for a smaller apartment, food and taxis are between 50% and 70% cheaper, you all get the idea....

It's also culturally closer to what we're used to, compared to places like Thailand or Indonesia, which might be cheaper but having been there I'd say the quality of life is definitely a lot better here than in Southeast asia.

Back