Work advice and temp residency moving to BA in November

jessmc

Registered
Hi all!

I am moving to BA in November and I was wanting to obtain some advice in regards to the current work situation and obtaining a temp residency visa for work purposes. I am moving to be with my partner who currently holds a temp residency visa, is it easy enough for him to extend the visa to me or will I require company sponsorship to obtain one? Also what is the current situation in regards to obtaining a full time job as a foreigner? I have a TEFL cert however would like to avoid teaching English if possible. I currently work in contract administration for large construction projects in Australia and have worked in a similar role in Oil and Gas. I am also undertaking a double bachelor in Business Commerce and Law but have yet to complete it. My Spanish requires quite a bit of improvement I am currently at an A2 level but I am undertaking classes to hopefully improve significantly prior to my arrival. Any advice on my job hunting prospects would be greatly appreciated!

Jessica

You will need your own visa. Your partner's visa won't work in your favor at all. Likelihood of getting visa sponsorship is pretty low, though it's not impossible. You are going to laugh/cry when you see the salaries here. All is possible, little is likely.

You will need your own visa. Your partner's visa won't work in your favor at all. Likelihood of getting visa sponsorship is pretty low, though it's not impossible. You are going to laugh/cry when you see the salaries here. All is possible, little is likely.
Thanks for your response, I am aware the salaries are considerably low compared to what I would be accustomed to however all of the information I found online is pretty outdated, are you able to elaborate at all? I am planning on bringing substantial savings to hopefully cover at least my first 6-12months, thanks and regards.

If you're making the peso equivalent of $1000 USD to $2000 USD, you're doing pretty good by Argentine standards (although it seems English teachers tend to make less.)

However, Argentina's economy is currently going through a rough patch. A few months ago, $30,000 pesos was ~$1500 USD — and was considered a good salary for a professional. Just a few months later, the peso has greatly devalued. That same $30,000 pesos is now worth ~$1000 USD... and all supermarket prices have gone up.

Salaries will be raised at the end of the year to adjust for inflation... but anyone earning in pesos is always stuck in a precarious situation.

It doesn't solve the visa issue, but I'd highly recommend finding a remote job that pays you in a foreign currency. The exchange rate is now in your favor, and you won't be stressed to pay your bills. Afterwards, you could search for a company willing to sponsor you for a visa.

Good luck!

Back