Work and Salary Expectations

Well, so much for something outside neocon economics.

The worker-coops are still there. Since their workers are also the owners, the higher nominal profits derived from inflation (if their products are sold locally) should go to their "wages", so they don´t have this problem.

For a foreign company with a local subsidiary, whose products are sold in foreign currency overseas there is a problem. I can´t believe that the guys upstairs did not thought about the local inflation rate in their plans, so one option is that simply expected to maintain wages at the same nominal level, or move the company somewhere else.

About myself, yep, I steal cheap cellphones from restaurants in Palermo SoHo ;-)
Now seriously, it is very difficult to share the goals of a company when the company is not very interested in other else than making you a monkey that pushes buttons. Even if you want to innovate, big companies are very bureaucratic and have a division of tasks for workers in each country, which sometimes does not contemplate innovation (even if they say so). A 24-year old Ivy-League graduate can suggest changes to work processes if he works in the New York branch, and those ideas will be taken into account; a PhD graduate in the factory floor in India can maybe suggest something, but it is not what is expected from him.

But as many people from Europe and the US, I am by choice currently outside the corporative system and I expect to live my life forever out of it.

What I've gotten out of this thread is that Argentina is a really difficult place to do business, especially under the current regime. I still don't understand why Citigirl is surprised that her employees aren't happy with raises that are actually salary decreases in real terms. The answer is pretty obvious: don't do business in Argentina.

elhombresinnombre said:
Just bumping this up again because I think mutualism is interesting - especially in enormous, successful organisations like the John Lewis group in the UK. Anyone: does Argentine company law permit rewarding employess with company shares? Citygirl: would/could your company reward its employees with a stake in the firm so that the better the company (ie, the employees) performed, the more they would benefit?

Agree wholeheartedly with a stake in the company but realistically out of a staff of 80 we're not doing it for more than 5 as active share holders since the emplpyee life cycle and rotation thing has a natural place in every business and particularly a PYME where the options for growth arent sky high for all employees. This leaves the dilemma of how to keep and keep motivating the other 70 or so when salary increases, benefits, bonuses, foreign trips etc are no longer filling the gap for more, now, again....

if you want to live in Argentina, you have to learn to live with inflation and with the way Argentines stimulate workers, usually not necessarily with money as its value fluctuates too much to reflect an intention. if you try to impose the developed countries system of expectations it does not work. they have a different set of values, the key to success when you live in a different sytem of values, is to be open minded and learn from the locals. the alternative can be very frustrating and tiring...

Has anyone learned to " live with" inflation?

And I'm confused, how do local employers keep employees happy? Most here seem to be saying it is with money.

I too must admit I'm wondering what Verito is saying. I'm all for empowering and motivating employees with something other than money. But every employee who has added his or her feedback (which I appreciate) has said salary is their #1 issue.

So Verito - what ideas other than money? I'm more than willing to learn and am not being close-minded. I've just run out of ideas so by all means, share away!

The picture painted here and on other recent threads would discourage any potential employer looking at Argentina. Even those known to be generous, very fair employers.

I'm wondering if the attitudes expressed here are true across the board or are more common among certain types/levels of employees? Any thoughts?

citygirl said:
I too must admit I'm wondering what Verito is saying. I'm all for empowering and motivating employees with something other than money. But every employee who has added his or her feedback (which I appreciate) has said salary is their #1 issue.

There's few ways to motivate your employees if the money they are receiving for their work is less and less all the time. And even if its not your direct fault...you are not going to be able to motivate them if they don't believe their basic needs (money to pay for stuff) are covered. Is that so hard to accept?

jb5 said:
The picture painted here and on other recent threads would discourage any potential employer looking at Argentina. Even those known to be generous, very fair employers.

It depends on what you mean by generous and fair employers. If they expect to give raises under inflation, for sure their workers wont be kissing their feet.
A Generous and Fair employers would not expect to have 1/5 costs with close to the same productivity and pocket the difference.

I have to agree with Citygirl on this thread. It is very difficult to find and motivate staff in Buenos Aires . I do believe that argentinians are great on an individual level and are very creative in many fields but when it comes to working in teams and creating healthy business alliances they fail in many areas.

There is this entitlement mentality in Buenos Aires now that is discouraging many from investing in businesses here . It is great to pay excellent wages but for performance and results only not just for turning up to work.

Back