Work Visa Question

Plenty of companies hire foreigners, plenty of foreigners with work visa.

All that being said, the lawyer *really* should be going there with you. Have you confirmed company has permission to employ extranjeros, are current on their taxes? Have they issued you the pre-contract? Is this lawyer that you are working with the company lawyer? S/he sounds rather...clueless.

I know there are some extranjeros that work here, but most of them are from mercusor countries, which it seems clearly have less strict requirements. The lawyer isnt a part of the company but is an external lawyer. I'm going to talk to the HR who's dealing with this and show her some of this info.

follow up question/observation - I wonder how any of this changes if I'm already working for the same company in the united states. short story is, im still being paid in dollars as I was in the states. I'm wondering if getting "legal" here means I need to convert to pesos, as part of the contract? Im guessing if the govt lets me stay legally, theyre going to want some tax $$ too. Or maybe they dont care?

FYI: when we talk about legal residency it is permisión for work and live here. It is like a Green card.
You have to qualify for one of the residency categories, that are the same than for visas.
Working contract is only one of them.

I guess you should negociate with your employer before even going to the DNM in order to be paid in USD in your bank account in the US.

In fact, they need to have you legal to avoid the fines.

It is not a crime for you to work without a residency.

FYI: when we talk about legal residency it is permisión for work and live here. It is like a Green card.
You have to qualify for one of the residency categories, that are the same than for visas.
Working contract is only one of them.

I guess you should negociate with your employer before even going to the DNM in order to be paid in USD in your bank account in the US.

In fact, they need to have you legal to avoid the fines.

It is not a crime for you to work without a residency.

So the plot thickens...I just talked with HR, and she said that the problem is that I'm not technically working for this office - I'm still employed by the office in Detroit, and I'm just here on an assignment temporarily, so they said I should still go and have them tell me what other documentation I will need. So, cross your fingers that I dont get deported on Thursday! :)

I've been back in the country since December, but my story is that it was only supposed to be for a month and then they extended it while I was already here, so now I'm trying to get things in order, if I can.

Wow - you work for a multi-national and they're that laissez-faire about the process. That's rather unusual.

I'm confused. Are you switching to work for the Argentine company? If so, everything posted earlier on this thread about the requirements in correct. That is the only way you can legally work in this country.

Otherwise, I think there is a transitory work visa which is good up to 90 days but since you're already at close to 60, that won't be an option for you.

Wow - you work for a multi-national and they're that laissez-faire about the process. That's rather unusual.

I'm confused. Are you switching to work for the Argentine company? If so, everything posted earlier on this thread about the requirements in correct. That is the only way you can legally work in this country.

Otherwise, I think there is a transitory work visa which is good up to 90 days but since you're already at close to 60, that won't be an option for you.

Yes, this is my problem -- I'm here working on a project in this office, but I'm still employed by the office in Detroit and am not going to be officially transferring to this office. Though it seems that there isn't a option for a situation like this where I'm here on a long term assignment, but not employed by an Argentine company (even though it's a part of the same company I already work for) :/

I have to say that I am a bit disappointed that the company is making me do all the legwork, and can't even give me any clear answers on what needs to be done, but I don't think they've done this much before, for non-Mercusor

Back