Work Visa Question

Im really thinking at this point that i shouldnt even go to immigrations. I'm planning on going to brazil at the end of feb, and once I get back, I can pay the overstay fee for the rest of my time here.

Though it seems that there isn't a option for a situation like this where I'm here on a long term assignment,

Thought I had read something about a situation like this - http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesible/?nomercosur_transitoria.

REGULATION: 1.170/2010

Grant special transitional residence to those foreigners who enter the National Territory in order to perform paid works or not, in scientific, professional, technical, religious or artistic areas.

RESOLUTION: 1.171/2010

Give special transitional residence, enter or stay in the territory to those foreigners who enter in order to conduct business, investment and market studies.

With that you wont get a DNI, but you wont get deported either.

Thought I had read something about a situation like this - http://www.migracion...ur_transitoria.

REGULATION: 1.170/2010

Grant special transitional residence to those foreigners who enter the National Territory in order to perform paid works or not, in scientific, professional, technical, religious or artistic areas.

RESOLUTION: 1.171/2010

Give special transitional residence, enter or stay in the territory to those foreigners who enter in order to conduct business, investment and market studies.

With that you wont get a DNI, but you wont get deported either.

Thanks -- it seems like this is for the same amount of time as the tourist visa, so might be easier to just stick with it and pay the overstay fee, instead of bringing attention to myself by going to migrations now. Was planning to go out of the country at the end of Feb anyway, and when I return, I will get a new stamp (well, assuming they let me in:) ) and can extend it/overstay after that.

Correct, that's the 90 day work assignment visa (intended for people coming for short-term assignment, etc).

Your company is taking a large (and unnecessarily stupid IMO) risk having you there without work paper for a long-term assignment Foolish, foolish, foolish on their part. But yes, there really isn't anything you can do on your own. If it's a long-term, they should have done all the things talked about (registered to employee extranjeros, issued you a pre-contract, etc) so the onus is on them.

There really isn't anything you can do at Migraciones and honestly, probably worse to go and be on their radar.

The point is the following: it is not convinient for you to work legally here. For you is better to continue working like you are in the States and get paid there.

Back