Work visa with a record??? HELP

You do not need an FBI letter in all states - depending on where your residency is, you only need a state police record from that state. At the embassy in Washington, DC and also at the consulate in NYC, I think, you do not need the FBI letter. Different consulate offices need different paperwork. You can private message me for more details. Another good thing is that if you are able to go to a consulate that does not require the FBI paperwork, you can greatly expedite the process (for example in DC I got my work visa the same day after some prodding by my company's lawyers, etc.)

jenh said:
You do not need an FBI letter in all states - depending on where your residency is, you only need a state police record from that state. At the embassy in Washington, DC and also at the consulate in NYC, I think, you do not need the FBI letter. Different consulate offices need different paperwork. You can private message me for more details. Another good thing is that if you are able to go to a consulate that does not require the FBI paperwork, you can greatly expedite the process (for example in DC I got my work visa the same day after some prodding by my company's lawyers, etc.)

Thanks, jenh, that's great info. When did you get your visa?

I believe that migraciones will only accept an FBI report from those who apply for their visas in Argentina.

Yes, it is totally correct that once you are IN Argentina, you will need the FBI certificate regardless of where you came from.

HOWEVER, if you are technically a resident of, say, Virginia or Pennsylvania, and you are here on a tourist visa, you would take your documents to the consulate in Washington DC (each consulate handles a number of the surrounding states) to apply for your visa. It has to be done in person. The Washington DC embassy/consulate will accept a police letter, apostilled/translated, from any state(s) where you have lived in the past 5 years as a resident. The best way to determine documentation is to look on the website of the consulate.

The L.A. consulate does require the FBI paperwork, so you're out of luck if you are a California resident. However, I have heard that the NYC consulate takes the state letter.

I can go much more in depth on this but would prefer not to do it on the public message board.

It may be worthwhile for the original poster to make a trip back to the USA to get his visa if that would avoid the FBI paperwork - if nothing else, it may be MUCH faster than the 3 month lead time that the FBI checks sound like they are taking these days.

Just to clarify, it is a police letter/certificate from ALL states where you have held residency in the past 5 years, not any.

jenh said:
Just to clarify, it is a police letter/certificate from ALL states where you have held residency in the past 5 years, not any.

Jenh, I already have a copy of the state police report and it does show my misdemeanors, but they are all over 5 years old. Could I request a report from the state for the last five years and submit this to the consulate? PM me if that is better for you.

MizzMarr said:
By the way, you can't order your FBI report in the States and bring it with you. It has to be issued AFTER you've left the country, otherwise they can assume that you've just been on some crazy crime binge after getting your report. Reports also take 2-3 months (or more) to receive.

If anyone reading this also posts in the BAnewcomer's yahoo group, please add this fact to the current topic: FBI "certificado de carencia de antecedentes penales." I don't post there but his might help someone who may be planning to get the report in the US and bring it to Argentina.

Hi BAbound,

Can you give us an update on this? My situation is almost identical to yours and I am stressing out. Thank you.

Interesting case.
It is impossible to give you an answer without knowing all th facts because those issues might be not crimes in Argentina.
In that case, you should add an affidavit/legal opinion of your lawyer explaining that.
If the case is rejected you can always appeal it.
If you full fit at least 1 year in Argentina, then you can apply for citizenship and there your records aren´t an issue.
Regards

what where the natures of your crimes? they must be bad if you cant be upfront with your work !

Back