Working In Argentina With Double Nationality

No, they give them citizenship straight away through some dead relative. Ain't that cooler?
Reciprocity is an overrated word.

I just found out that I'm one of those dead relative citizens. ;) I'm Italian through my great-grandfather. I had looked into it 20 years ago in college. I was "inspired" by my Argentine-Italian friends to check again last month. In 3 hours online--I learned that it took my great-grandfather 40+ years to naturalize in the US. I thought he had done it before the birth of my grandfather, which would have broken the line. Since he did not--I'm Italian by blood. Grazie Italia! For those who have been following...that makes my youngest daughter a natural-born US Citizen-Argentine-Italian. (It's just weird). It's a bit of a process to get recognized--for some it's much easier process to naturalize as an Argentine than to be recognized as an Italian.

But some 500,000+ Argentines (the most of any country) have been through Italian recognition process compared to about 30,000 US Citizens.

As of 2010. Here's the graph I'll learn to upload an image on here one of these years...

But to get a CUIL you need a DNI, and to get a DNI you have to go to Migraciones claiming you are staying here to work, but you have to prove you are for work with a work contract.

No you dont need a DNI to get a temporary CUIL which once you get a DNI you may/may not again get updated based on your DNI number. But you dont need a DNI to get a CUIL. You can get it through your passport and the visa.

If they used data from earlier than 1998 it would be even higher.

Mind you, if I had that sort of family history with a great grand father from the US, the USCIS would laugh at my face - and so would Migraciones!

If they used data from earlier than 1998 it would be even higher.

Mind you, if I had that sort of family history with a great grand father from the US, the USCIS would laugh at my face - and so would Migraciones!

I don't disagree. :) But it cuts both ways. Italy has jus sanguinis (citizenship by blood) where the US and Argentina are by jus soli (birthright) Granted, Italy's jure sanguinis is one of the more liberal policies available. One the other hand, well-to-do Chinese, et al are flying to the US (child in utero) to get their child's US passport.

Serafina: I figured as much. And do you think that's more rational than granting citizenship based on great-grandfathers?

Serafina: I figured as much. And do you think that's more rational than granting citizenship based on great-grandfathers?

I think that's much more democratic to give the same chance to all individuals rather than those with old paperworks. Wouldn't it piss you if I had your passport "to feel more connected with my root" but didn't speak English nor have never ever set foot in the US and bragged about being "American-Italian" because someone in my family some 100 years ago was born in the US but left it in tender age? Oh, but I grew up watching MTV, and my parents listened to the Rolling Stones, so I have always felt like an American.
C'mon, that's a load of BS!

It really surfaces that some comments on this board about my GC are on the tone "You don't belong to the US" / "You are here" / "Do you know hard other people fight to get that and you are ignoring it?", so try to think if I was given a US passport! Indeed, let's make someone from Asia or Africa had a US passport without ever setting a foot in the US! But they come telling you that then they could visit some countries without needing a travel authorization, or that they could work anywhere in the US or CA with that. You'd start wondering if they consider your citizenship the same way they do their ClubMed membership.

Think about the hardships an Argentine has to endure to get a mere tourism VISA to visit the US, and how many forum members came here from the US without any fuss over a VISA. Then let's talk about reciprocity.

Descendants matter. For those who have it, it gives them options. I think it's perfectly fine that children and grandchildren have the option to return to their parents' homeland.

I really want my Spanish citizenship, but Spain doesn't recognize dual nationality aside from Latin American countries. Wish it was as easy going as Italy... maybe it will change since the Spanish aren't having kids. :p

Back