Worst damn cellular data in the world?

I second Phillip and Sleuth. If you call them at *611 and complain politely but insistently, they will credit you (after a full day with NO data on 3G and pretty bad on EDGE, I got 25% off that month's bill).

Just a thought, what frequencies does your phone support?

I have an HTC Desire with 850/2100 UMTS, and it has the same symptoms where data sometimes won't connect, but the USB stick works perfectly in the same areas. I'm assuming it's the lack of 1900MHz support in the phone.

The cell network can tell your phone to "switch over" to the other frequency where both are available, to make room on one frequency. If your phone doesn't support the frequency its "referred" to, the connection usually drops while it argues with the tower I think.

Supposedly supports: 800, 850, 900, 1900, and 2100

Which should cover argentina

PhilipDT said:
Supposedly supports: 800, 850, 900, 1900, and 2100

Which should cover argentina

Are you sure they're all UMTS frequencies, not GSM as well? I'm pretty sure 800MHz is not a supported UMTS frequency at all.

Pretty much all modern phones support 800/850/1800/1900MHz GSM, but usually support one of a few possible combinations of UMTS (850/2100MHz, 850/1900Mhz, 900/2100MHz, etc).

What model phone do you have, and from which country?

Factory unlocked iPhone 4 - USA.

On another note...

IS THIS A JOKE MOVISTAR???? 17????!!!!!

35l9745.png

PhilipDT said:
You know what its been doing for the last 15 min? NOT FUCKING WORKING! This my problem it arbitrarily doesnt work for random 5-20 minute periods several times through out the day. Its not just slow, that I could actually deal with it just doesnt work!

Ugh, maddening. Seriously

I have the same problem with Claro.

PhilipDT said:
Factory unlocked iPhone 4 - USA.

Ah, phone is not the problem then. The iPhone 4 does 850/900/1900/2100MHz UMTS.

It is definitely Movistar. They used to have good service, but it has been horrible. I often have to set my iPhone to airplane mode and then back again in order to get back on the 3G network.

You might want to check their forums at http://www.movistar.com.ar/foro/web/guest for other complaints or issues.

Lobo Marino said:
Have been using all three networks (Claro/Movistar/Personal) - my, somewhat subjective, observations:

- Claro = best coverage on the ruta and out in the province, but I found myself without signal at times downtown (I am not using it any longer)
- Movistar = best coverage on the Rio (if you are out sailing), sometimes lousy 3G
- Personal = speedy 3G/EDGE in the downtown, not that well out in the country

If you are most of the times just staying in the city, I think your best choice would be the Personal Black no-worries-all-included-plan...

I only know Claro and I agree: Sucks in the Center, Good in the Province (using an iPhone unlimited plan which has not risen in price in three years...).

Back