Worst Stupid Bureaucracy Story?

jeff1234

Registered
After foolishly telling the truth on our application for a marriage license, that I had been divorced, we were told that I had to have various government organizations in the U.S. send copies of the divorce, certifications with seals, apostilles, to prove that I was actually divorced.

This seemed to be one of the dumbest bureaucratic requirements that I've ever seen...if I was honest enough to tell them about the divorce why do I have to prove it?
But of course it got much worse. It happened on the day we finally got everything together and submitted the documents to get approval our marriage license.
I was told that now that I have proven that I got divorced 22 years ago, now I must prove that I was married before the divorce.
I made an effort to get a copy of my marriage license but gave up because Id have to go in person to several offices in the New York City area.
Instead of encouraging marriage, the govt in this catholic country has blocked out attempts to legalize our relationship.
How's that for bureaucratic stupidity?

After foolishly telling the truth on our application for a marriage license, that I had been divorced, we were told that I had to have various government organizations in the U.S. send copies of the divorce, certifications with seals, apostilles, to prove that I was actually divorced.

This seemed to be one of the dumbest bureaucratic requirements that I've ever seen...if I was honest enough to tell them about the divorce why do I have to prove it?
But of course it got much worse. It happened on the day we finally got everything together and submitted the documents to get approval our marriage license.
I was told that now that I have proven that I got divorced 22 years ago, now I must prove that I was married before the divorce.
I made an effort to get a copy of my marriage license but gave up because Id have to go in person to several offices in the New York City area.
Instead of encouraging marriage, the govt in this catholic country has blocked out attempts to legalize our relationship.
How's that for bureaucratic stupidity?

Okay - I was expecting *bad* - but that is UTTERLY INSANE...

We found out all this as well so took the easy way around it and went to the US to get married. Raised the right hand and swore we are not currently married, 3 days later(waiting on the marriage liscense) it was a done deal.. So much easier!!

We found out all this as well so took the easy way around it and went to the US to get married. Raised the right hand and swore we are not currently married, 3 days later(waiting on the marriage liscense) it was a done deal.. So much easier!!
shhh
Next the US will be wanting all that paperwork too.

Seems a bit extreme for the local authorities to ask for all that just to get married.

However, the IMMIGRATION authorities of ANY country are going to ask for this and more. My friend recently had to provide immigration authorities with an apostilized copy of her marriage and divorce paperwork as well as her ex husband's death certificate. She's not immigrating to Argentina, however, but that horribly bureaucratic and inefficient hellhole called Switzerland.

That's what we are going to do.

It's really sad, how the govt here works against the people,

Even all the clerks we dealt with, none of them told us about the second requirement until we had wasted lots of hours and spent a hundred dollars at UPS.

And it's all because we told the truth.

My story is not as bad as yours, but I took my newborn infant to get her Argentine passport (which is required to take her out of the country even though she had a U.S. passport). They had changed the system to where the fingerprints are now electronic and you put your fingers on a scanner. Well, my infant's little fingers were too small. I asked if it was possible to take her fingerprints via ink, and was flatly denied. So we spent around 3 hours, my wife and I taking turns, of putting my poor 3 month old's little fingers on the scanner trying to get her prints time and time again. There came a point where I got a little upset. Is it really necessary to get a 3 month old's print anyways? Unbelievable and one of the most infuriating things that ever happened to me here. Fortunately, after trying and trying again, we were able to get all the prints. My baby was real trooper and took it all in stride.

Registered as a permanent resident, pretty easy. Legalising our marriage here, again pretty straighforward. We read all the requirements and ensured we complied.

Honestly, I can't see the issue if you read the requirements in advance it's fairly clear what you need to present. You have to accept the tramite culture and prepare yourself correctly before attempting said tramite.

I'm afraid it is not stupidity but that you were not given appropriate advice by someone who actually knew how things work. Any international issue involving paperwork in any country works the same way. Anytime you need to prove something that happened somewhere else, all the red tape is required. No country will ever "take your word" about anything, especially when legal issues (such as marital status) are involved. Anyone attempting to do anything that has legal effects in or with respect to a foreign country should always consult with a lawyer or a "gestor" and get all the info beforehand.

My story is not as bad as yours, but I took my newborn infant to get her Argentine passport (which is required to take her out of the country even though she had a U.S. passport). They had changed the system to where the fingerprints are now electronic and you put your fingers on a scanner. Well, my infant's little fingers were too small. I asked if it was possible to take her fingerprints via ink, and was flatly denied. So we spent around 3 hours, my wife and I taking turns, of putting my poor 3 month old's little fingers on the scanner trying to get her prints time and time again. There came a point where I got a little upset. Is it really necessary to get a 3 month old's print anyways? Unbelievable and one of the most infuriating things that ever happened to me here. Fortunately, after trying and trying again, we were able to get all the prints. My baby was real trooper and took it all in stride.

Oh, yes, this was awful. Mine screamed the whole time. They called in for "reinforcements" (other employees) to help keep her still enough to get ALL 10 FINGERS. And it's not just stick the finger on the digital screen and go...the computer has to actually scan and accept it as a valid print, which can take more than numerous tries with an infant. Yes, it was upsetting. New mother mistake...I should have fed her beforehand.

Back