Would you like to spend the rest of your life in Argentina?

I think the answer to this question is partly personality related, but probably much more to where someone is in life, what means you have.

If you are still young and ambitious, if you have young kids, there is not much that holds you back here. If i were 65, then I wouldn’t mind staying here forever. I wouldn’t even give a damn about the demented politics here.

The other thing is money. If you have a modest monthly rent / income of 1 or 2 thousand USD, that would be a big reason to stay here (far better quality of life than back home).

I lived, basically, my first 25 years in Argentina. The last 46 in California, where i pursued and achieved most of my major dreams. I spend now 4 to 6 months in Argentina but i would i doubt i would live there permanently. Its the lack of progress, social disorder, avivadas, customer service and so on that just irritates me. Its like people don't want to progress, they accept things as they are and they get upset with you if you suggest a better way. Getting anything done is so difficult and time consuming. Being buried there is like i accepted mediocrity.
However, i get along very well with my wife of 48 years, with my four children, their spouses and my five grandchildren. All live in USA. Maybe that clouds my thinking.

I lived, basically, my first 25 years in Argentina. The last 46 in California, where i pursued and achieved most of my major dreams. I spend now 4 to 6 months in Argentina but i would i doubt i would live there permanently. Its the lack of progress, social disorder, avivadas, customer service and so on that just irritates me. Its like people don't want to progress, they accept things as they are and they get upset with you if you suggest a better way. Getting anything done is so difficult and time consuming. Being buried there is like i accepted mediocrity.
However, i get along very well with my wife of 48 years, with my four children, their spouses and my five grandchildren. All live in USA. Maybe that clouds my thinking.

Good post. I suspect 2 country living is what the future holds for us.

I agree....except Argentina will not be in the future one of the 2 countries for me.

We don't have much choice really....it would be far too much hassle and counter productive to our health to ''sell up'' everything and leave permanently. To be honest I'm not so sure I'd want to anyway. Plus with my wife being Argentine and despite her daily cursing of the way things are run here I'm not sure she would either. Then there's our 11 dogs 1 cat and the tortoise to consider. :)

A few years ago, when I was evaluating retirement, I read several books on the subject. One asked a question: where’s home? One thinks of ones house, neighborhood, that is, ones comfort zone. Right? The author then asked where was home for nomadic people? They would move all the time, so home was not their house, neighborhood, etc. so where was home for nomads? Among their family and friends wrote the author. I tend to agree. If you find yourself with a person or persons you love, and the pets you love, you could spend most of your life happily wherever that might be.

There is one more factor, I believe. If you are an immigrant, as much as you can blend in, you will most likely always be an outsider. When I was thinking of retirement or where to spend half a year away from California, I thought Spain, Mexico, France. Quickly I came to a conclusion: I did not want to feel like an outsider again. So Argentina was the winner, with all its baggage

Back