WTF International Post Office!

NOLAchef

Registered
Since arriving in January I have had three packages shipped from the U.S. and all were delivered with success. Yes, I had to wait for 5 HOURS my first visit to the elegant correos and 3 hours the other times, but there were never any issues. They would ask me what's inside, I would answer honestly (mostly kitchen stuff- creole mustards, spices, lotion, chilis, etc) and I walked away happily without having to pay anything out of pocket.

TODAY I had another box arrive to my friends shop and the mailman tried to charge $237! Normally, they don't even bring the box they just bring the slip in order for me to go pick it up myself. THIS particular box was shipped Express from NYC. Of course, the girl working the desk didn't ask what the charge was for, just to come back tomorrow. However he left the slip, so I doubt he'll be back.

WHY did I get this charge? There's nothing in the box but peanut butter m&m's, spices, and chilis! Is it related to the fact that it was mailed express? It shouldn't, if anything the person sending it had to pay an arm and a leg. Is the postman just being an d-bag and trying to make some extra bucks??

I've been calling the number 4891-9191 and of course it's impossible to get through.

AYUDAME!!!

I NEED this box by Friday! My chili ( for the BA chili cook-off) will be a wash without it! :(

Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks thanks thanks!

NOLAchef said:
Since arriving in January I have had three packages shipped from the U.S. and all were delivered with success. Yes, I had to wait for 5 HOURS my first visit to the elegant correos and 3 hours the other times, but there were never any issues. They would ask me what's inside, I would answer honestly (mostly kitchen stuff- creole mustards, spices, lotion, chilis, etc) and I walked away happily without having to pay anything out of pocket.

As my M&S Percy pigs have been in customs for 3 years Im filled with envy at your previous success re food stuffs entry and absolutely of no use whatsoever..sympathies though. I fear if they have given you an exact $# this means payment or nothing...the posties looking for a coima tend to huff and haw..

We have received numerous boxes with food items in the last couple of years no problem, but I recall the guys at the intl. postal office making it harder the one time one of the boxes was shipped express. Your best bet is to go with the slip to the Intl post office center and get your box as usual, pretend that it is all normal and you should be fine if possible give a candy bar or similar to the guy at the exit ( the one that charges $ ) Simply pretend you do not have the money to pay and say they never charged you before: be insistent. Good luck!

Custom costs are calculated on the declared shipping value. Always declare the value as low as possible. Never be honest to customs agents (extends to most government officials). Always lie and tell them you have no clue what's in the package.

Not true!!!Customs duties in Argentina include BOTH the value of the merchandise PLUS the cost of the int´l shipping!!
UNBELIEVABLE BUT TRUE. It is one the few (if not the only) country in world to do this. I just picked 3 boxes there, so I know this for a fact.

HenryNisental said:
Not true!!!Customs duties in Argentina include BOTH the value of the merchandise PLUS the cost of the int´l shipping!!
UNBELIEVABLE BUT TRUE. It is one the few (if not the only) country in world to do this. I just picked 3 boxes there, so I know this for a fact.

At Eizeza right?

i feel your pain...i had three boxes (70lbs total) shipped from the US, initial shipping cost: $210, declared value: $0, customs/local fees when they arrived: $980. (all listed in USD)
it happens.

often you can negotiate down the price if you make it clear that they're not goods to sell etc, just personal stuff, or that there are no electronics. sometimes they charge you on the unfounded assumption that whatever is in the box falls into one of these categories. the lawyers in my office saved me $250US by negotiating, so i ended up only paying $730 (still a load of bullshit). fees here tend to be semi-arbitrary, and if you're so unlucky as to be charged, i don't think being stubborn and saying you won't will work--at least from my experience. that's what I did when my boxes arrived, and they sat in a warehouse for a week until i sucked it up and paid the lower rate.

in the future, hit up www.themulepool.com --it's a site my friend told me about to pay people who are flying here to bring things for you in their luggage etc

I'm mailing a violin to a friend in BA. What would be the best way to do this?

It is the same in Europe (at least in Germany). Not a valid critic then.

Back