Xoom: Cash Pickup Vs. Bank Transfer

ilichar

Registered
I need to make a Xoom transfer to myself from my US account (I'm currently in Argentina). I was wondering which option will be faster: to use cash pickup or to transfer to my Argentinian account? It would be more convenient to transfer to my Argentinian bank account, but then I'm worried the Argentinian regulators could put a hold on the transfer which may end up slowing the whole thing down. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Read the recent discussion on the same topic

http://baexpats.org/topic/22001-i-tried-xoom-today/

If you need the money TODAY, pick up the cash at MORE Money transfer.

so why post 2 times about the same thing, are you trying to distract us from something?

http://baexpats.org/topic/22001-i-tried-xoom-today/page__st__110

so why post 2 times about the same thing, are you trying to distract us from something?

http://baexpats.org/...y/page__st__110
I had a very specific question, i.e. account deposit vs cash pick up, and I had not seen it addressed in the previous discussions. Btw, update on the topic, I'm still entangled in the nerve-wrecking verification process with Xoom. They asked for copies of two photo IDs and bank statement. Sent copies of bank statement, passport and driver's license, but redacted the numbers from them. They said they needed to see the full DL. Decided to send it with # visible. Now they say they need an ID with signature. Just replied that the DL has indeed my signature on it. I'm just close to drop the whole thing.

I need to make a Xoom transfer to myself from my US account (I'm currently in Argentina). I was wondering which option will be faster: to use cash pickup or to transfer to my Argentinian account? It would be more convenient to transfer to my Argentinian bank account, but then I'm worried the Argentinian regulators could put a hold on the transfer which may end up slowing the whole thing down. Any thoughts? Thanks.

The "Argentine regulators" you are referring to is actually XOOM's Argentine partner, Reclamos More. They are the ones who make the final bank deposit and of course they also have the location to pick up the funds in person. Once they have everything they need the cash may be available for pick up the same day and the bank deposits are usually made the next business day.

It is their responsibility to be sure all of the required documentation is in order. I have had to provide "recent" bank statements on several occasions and I found that sending any docs that were needed directly to them (attached as a jpeg in an email) as opposed to sending anything to XOOM resulted in my transfers being completed much faster.

Be sure to include the transaction number in any emails you send to them. They are friendly and efficient.

I had a very specific question, i.e. account deposit vs cash pick up, and I had not seen it addressed in the previous discussions. Btw, update on the topic, I'm still entangled in the nerve-wrecking verification process with Xoom. They asked for copies of two photo IDs and bank statement. Sent copies of bank statement, passport and driver's license, but redacted the numbers from them. They said they needed to see the full DL. Decided to send it with # visible. Now they say they need an ID with signature. Just replied that the DL has indeed my signature on it. I'm just close to drop the whole thing.

Then XOOM has made changes to the registration process, because all I supplied was bank and address information in June 2013 to process my first transfer. No photo ID, no bank statement, etc. Every transfer goes through quickly without a problem.

Today I tried to process a transfer with RIA since they offer 12.29 over XOOM's 11.77, but I couldn't register. Then I read the reason why on http://www.discoverbuenosaires.com/ria-money-transfer-better-than-xoom I will not be using RIA.

My first XOOM transfer of about $1000 USD in 2013 triggered the need to provide bank statements and "proof" of the source of my income. Since then they have occasionally required additional (updated) information. Whenever I receive an email from XOOM informing me that a transaction has been delayed I send the requested information directly to MORE.

In January my brother opened a new checking account in the USA. I transfer funds from my account into his so he can make transfers to me using RIA.

RIA asked me for a declaration jurada and a copy (jpeg) of my DNI, but didn't require any "proof" of income or ID from my brother.

I think having the same last names made it all go smoothly.

Thanks for the info JanTango. A way to use RiA would be to transfer money using free online banking to a friend or relative's account in the states, and have them use RIA to transfer the money to you.

In January my brother opened a new checking account in the USA. I transfer funds from my account into his so he can make transfers to me using RIA.

RIA asked me for a declaration jurada and a copy (jpeg) of my DNI, but didn't require any "proof" of income or ID from my brother.

Good Brother.

Anytime you go over 40000 pesos, they are going to ask for much more documentation. Expect to give them employer information, statements, and all ID's AGAIN, along with several other peaces of information which they really dont need and is a violation of privacy! But hey you have to if you want to use them.

Back