Xoom Vs Uruguay

You're very welcome. Found a phone number for you. They should be able to answer that. I just told them what they needed to know and going over the limit wasn't a big deal.

+598 452 [background=rgb(237, 237, 237)]4522 2070[/background]

To resucitate this beast...

We may have to recalculate which option is better now that the Xoom/Colonia gap has decreased significantly. The Blue is down the last 3 days, having dropped 0.30 yesterday to 11.00/12.50 (if you can find an open cueva). Meanwhile, "Contado con Liqui" just busted the 12.00 mark for the first time, and one would expect Xoom to follow (it's at 11.74 right now).

Maybe Joe should make this into one of his polls (Vishnu knows I'm too lazy), but what are you folks doing for this option? Still find the Buquebus schlep worthwhile, or maybe just huge fans of Uruguay's culinary offerings?

ps: the quotes come from here. I know they are varying widely.

Edit: Typo in the original: Xoom is at 10.74, but still quite close to the Blue's 11.00. Thanks for the correction AmigoArtístico!

Reactions: Joe

We may have to recalculate which option is better now that the Xoom/Colonia gap has decreased significantly. The Blue is down the last 3 days, having dropped 0.30 yesterday to 11.00/12.50 (if you can find an open cueva). Meanwhile, "Contado con Liqui" just busted the 12.00 mark for the first time, and one would expect Xoom to follow (it's at 11.74 right now).

Maybe Joe should make this into one of his polls (Vishnu knows I'm too lazy), but what are you folks doing for this option? Still find the Buquebus schlep worthwhile, or maybe just huge fans of Uruguay's culinary offerings?

ps: the quotes come from here. I know they are varying widely.

I just checked xoom and it's 10.74. Do you get some special deal?

Has anyone actually sent US$ to Uruguay and picked it up in US$ there? If so, is it possible to ask for 100$ bills only (instead of 20s typically delivered by ATMs)?

Has anyone actually sent US$ to Uruguay and picked it up in US$ there? If so, is it possible to ask for 100$ bills only (instead of 20s typically delivered by ATMs)?

Montevideo ATMs give out $100s.

Edit: Typo in the original: Xoom is at 10.74, but still quite close to the Blue's 11.00. Thanks for the correction AmigoArtístico!

I got 12.30 today from a cueva in microcentro.

Someone else on here in another thread mentioned that you can use Xoom to send cash to Uruguay and pick it up in Colonia. They said that it was easy and fast. By doing this, you can avoid Atm limits, and you are only limited by what Xoom lets you send. In this case, the person said that they sent US$1000 to Uruguay and were able to pick the money up in about 10 minutes, and the trasaction fee was US$17.

If I have done my homework correct. This is my plan. You can actually get up to $2999. but u need to have an address in Colonia. I verbaly spoke with Xoom several times to make sure I was on spot and they assured me, yes. I said I did not have the address but could us a hotel one if they would let me. She said thats fine we don't really check.
Much better than giving up 1 to 1.5 points for a night in Colonia's fancy hotels!

I just got back from Colonia the other day and the ATMs do offer withdraws in dollars but I decided to pass on it. I second the notion that Colonia really does have some nice hotels, I couldn't have been happier with the internet there (working remote, a big deal to me).

Here's my reasoning:

Xoom offers a pretty good rate, it's convenient, and you don't have an extra couple thousand dollars worth of value on you to be concerned about.

While boating back I was thinking that it would help Argentina to bring over those dollars for their use... after some more thought if I made the trip again I would probably check with friends here and line things up with them, but then again friends and finances don't always go hand-in-hand. As far as the people on the street shouting cambio, I don't have any reason to not trust them, but no reason to trust them either. If I had ill intent and wanted to screw over tourists, I could imagine quite a few ways to take advantage if I were them.

It's a gamble, risk vs reward kind of thing, but if you have $3k in your bag it may weigh heavy on your mind and become more trouble than it's worth.

I've never had any problem with any of the bills I've gotten from xoom and that's the kind of piece of mind I'm happy to take the slightly less stellar rate at.

Just thoughts and considerations worth weighing.

Back