Yeast won't rise

SaraOR

Registered
I've tried to bake bread, pastries, and pizza dough from scratch 3 times now, but the dough won't rise. When I test the yeast it doesn't really appear to be active, but I have just given it a shot anyway. I've tried 2 different brands of yeast. I've tried using bottled water. Nothing seems to work. I've never had any trouble like this in the states. Anyone else had this problem? Any advice?

Are you letting the yeast sit in some warm water before you mix it with the flour?

Yes, I always proof the yeast. Maybe, I just need to keep buying different brands of yeast to find one that is active?

I have had an occasional pack of yeast not be right, but otherwise have had no problems. Two key items for yeast:
Make sure the water/liquid temperature is correct- most likely 110ºf is right. Too hot or two cold and the yeast wont live.
The other item is salt- don't add the salt until after the yeast is thoroughly mixed in to other ingredients/dough. Salt kills yeast, so if you add the salt with some initial flour and put into the yeast for rising, you may be killing the yeast. Add the salt later, and it should be fine.

Are you using the dry yeast? You could also tried the refrigerated yeast that comes in cubes in the refrigerated section.

Hi SaraOR,
I have done a lot of baking here in Argentina. 2 pieces of advice. Only buy and use the dry yeast that is refrigerated in the grocers and keep it refrigerated at home. Then proof it with the warm water and sugar or honey, etc. You can also use compressed fresh yeast which is more often used here. You can substitute fresh yeast for dry yeast; .06 ounce fresh yeast equals 1/4 ounce of dry yeast, so a bit more by weight. The fresh yeast has a nice flavor too. Good luck!

Everyone knows that south of the equator the yeast bubbles rotate the other way so you have to put the cake in the oven upside down.

smirkypants said:
Everyone knows that south of the equator the yeast bubbles rotate the other way so you have to put the cake in the oven upside down.

hmm interesting :eek: good to see there are still people with humor here ;) (I started to doubt that)

Back