Yes, another peso-dollar question!

I think the Google wallet fees are lower. And the fact that overall, Google is a better company :D

Here's a crazy idea: would there be a way for my boyfriend to buy shares of a solid stock (like Apple or IBM) and then cash out when he arrives in the U.S.? Does anyone have any idea if that could work logistically and where he could open a brokerage account in Argentina (or online) that would accept his pesos as payment and later when he sells the shares send him a check in the U.S. or transfer the money to our shared bank account in the U.S.?

I don't have Google Wallet and I really don't want to make up a business for it with a website and everything. I already have Paypal. One problem is that my boyfriend has low credit limits on his credit cards because we don't really use our cards that much (except to buy some furniture or appliances). So the monthly limit might be too low for the Paypal option to make sense.

Oy. What a mess.

tinto said:
Here's a crazy idea: would there be a way for my boyfriend to buy shares of a solid stock (like Apple or IBM) and then cash out when he arrives in the U.S.? Does anyone have any idea if that could work logistically and where he could open a brokerage account in Argentina (or online) that would accept his pesos as payment and later when he sells the shares send him a check in the U.S. or transfer the money to our shared bank account in the U.S.?

I don't have Google Wallet and I really don't want to make up a business for it with a website and everything. I already have Paypal. One problem is that my boyfriend has low credit limits on his credit cards because we don't really use our cards that much (except to buy some furniture or appliances). So the monthly limit might be too low for the Paypal option to make sense.

Oy. What a mess.

To buy such stocks here, he will need to get his pesos converted to dollars via the purchase of an Arg bond and then the bond is sold in usd in the US * brokers operate with partners abroad. He will lose 30 per cent of his money. I do not recommend this. can you give an idea of how much money it is? I assume he cannot travel with it cos it is over 10k ? I think his best bet is to go with the cash at this point, make a few trips to Uruguay carrying the money, deposit into an account in Uru and then wire it to the US from there. Or try to find a cueva or financiera that will wire the money into a US account and he pays here at blue rate plus commission,

tinto said:
One problem is that my boyfriend has low credit limits on his credit cards because we don't really use our cards that much (except to buy some furniture or appliances). So the monthly limit might be too low for the Paypal option to make sense.

Oy. What a mess.

First ask the bank to raise the limit. Then do the purchase and make a payment the next day to see if they release the limit. Maybe if you make payments during the month they will release your credit limit and let you keep purchasing.

Yes, I was thinking about that. The only issue is that it could look like my fiance is paying me to marry him. Is that a real concern? Our main goal is to live together in the States and try to be happy :) He has his final interview at the U.S. Embassy in Buenos Aires in early June. Could the Embassy or the USCIS here find out about our Paypal transactions (via AFIP or the IRS)? I've heard that the government bodies are separate and would not share information, necessarily. I submitted my tax return so I could sponsor my fiance in the U.S., but I don't think USCIS is calling up the IRS, right?

The worst part is that all of my boyfriend's money is legit/en blanco. But he is not able to wire his (meager) life savings to his own account in the U.S. once he gets here. This is crazy! And he can't even leave the U.S. for two years after we get married per the conditions of permanent resident status.

Thanks for listening, "foreros".

el_expatriado said:
First ask the bank to raise the limit. Then do the purchase and make a payment the next day to see if they release the limit. Maybe if you make payments during the month they will release your credit limit and let you keep purchasing.

I would never risk taking more than 10K without declaring it. It's not worth it to me. Doesn't matter anyway because we don't have dollars yet. That's the bigger issue for the moment. I'm not comfortable waiting it out (with my fiance's pesos in an Argentine bank). There might be another corralito + bigger devaluation, no? Everyone and their mom is trying to take their money/investments out of Argentina now.

Eclair said:
Whatever you do, realize that taking more than $10,000 on your person is very risky these days. They've been cracking down.

http://www.cronica.com.ar/diario/20...-por-esconder-euros-en-paquetes-de-yerba.html

I can't help but feel sorry for these people that try to leave with their life savings.

He probably doesn't have time to go to Uruguay (a couple of times) and open an account there. Also, can you still take pesos to Uruguay and buy dollars there and then open a dollar account there? What are the rates? Would they let you just walk in and open an account these days? And soon after wire all the dollars out of it? Once he's here in the U.S. he can't leave for two years. Perhaps he could close the account via a letter. In the U.S. you can do that I think.

What he has left in Arg is prob 20-30K (dollars by today's official conversion rate) in a bank accounts in pesos. It kills me that he has to try to change money at the black market rate when the money was from legit sources and not an en negro job or transaction.

nikad said:
To buy such stocks here, he will need to get his pesos converted to dollars via the purchase of an Arg bond and then the bond is sold in usd in the US * brokers operate with partners abroad. He will lose 30 per cent of his money. I do not recommend this. can you give an idea of how much money it is? I assume he cannot travel with it cos it is over 10k ? I think his best bet is to go with the cash at this point, make a few trips to Uruguay carrying the money, deposit into an account in Uru and then wire it to the US from there. Or try to find a cueva or financiera that will wire the money into a US account and he pays here at blue rate plus commission,

Ugh, at this point I can suggest to invite two friends that are willing to help you out and pay for their air tix. Have you tried gold at Banco Piano? Somebody said they were selling it in pesos bout a month ago.

el_expatriado said:
That's perfect then. Using your paypal account, send him an invoice for $1000 USD or $2000 USD or whatever. Your fiancé then creates an account and using his Argentine credit card he pays the invoice. At the end of the month he will pay the bill with pesos at the official rate. Make sure you bill him for goods or services because if you select a personal money transfer it won't let him pay with a credit card.

Then you just keep repeating as many times as needed.

Hi. I have a question about this. You say that the credit card bill will come in pesos. My husband said that in the past any dollar amount charged on his credit card he had to pay here in dollars. He said he would have to go exchange dollars and then go the American Express office to pay. (of course this was before all the dollar restrictions and blue market) Has this changed? We wanted to try this out, but he said that certainly American Express will charge you high transaction fees to pay the amount in pesos if they even let him do so. Any further explanation would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

allcraz - we have accounts here with 2 different banks and when we use our credit card outide of argentina the amount does come up in dollars but you can pay it off using the OFFICIAL exchange rate in pesos. the risky part is of course that they give you the exchange rate the day that you pay off the credit card. so maybe when you bought the thing the rate was 4,5 but 2 weeks later when you are paying off the credit card the rate is higher. we do all our banking online. have never had to go to an office to pay.

Back