Yes, we have no bananas...and other former imports too

nicoenarg said:
Interesting. A week or two ago, in my neighborhood I couldn't find any eggs in any of the stores. Is that related to this or are eggs completely and totally local?

Also, I thought Argentina basically produced all the fruit/vegetables consumed in the country.

I would have thought that the eggs would be produced here in Argentina... And I know that we do import some fruits from Brazil, which is why I haven't seen nearly as much watermelon (or strawberries now that I think of it) this year compared to years past.

va2ba said:
I would have thought that the eggs would be produced here in Argentina... And I know that we do import some fruits from Brazil, which is why I haven't seen nearly as much watermelon (or strawberries now that I think of it) this year compared to years past.

I was wondering if it was related to imports. It was just one day. Probably a truckers' strike was more likely the culprit.

to expantinowncountry.
What part of this article bothers you?
I felt it was right on the mark.
It seems that i will not be able to get the english language bible that my local mormon missionary promised. Why ? Because Douchebag guillermo moreno has placed a ban on all imports of books.
Seems he doesnt want people to read what is written of him in other countries.
Again I ask , What in your opinion is wrong with the article

Fabe said:
to expantinowncountry.
It seems that i will not be able to get the english language bible that my local mormon missionary promised. Why ? Because Douchebag guillermo moreno has placed a ban on all imports of books.
Seems he doesnt want people to read what is written of him in other countries.

This also includes books that are to be used in language schools. Its crazy, what country bans the import of books!

Its crazy, what country bans the import of books!

One on which for some weird reasons, including the oligopolistic structure of big parts of the economy, most of its own books, written by locals and for locals, were imported from Spain. The solution was to ban those imports, thus Argentinean companies now will need to print Argentinean books in (gasp!) Argentina.

expatinowncountry said:
What a bad piece of journalism.
I'm curious why you say this. Would you mind expanding on your comment to specify why it was bad.
Was it this part-
1. Lots of other commodities are in short supply because of Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner’s imposition of import restrictions to prop up the economy. In Buenos Aires I heard people complaining of shortages of every day goods such as electrical equipment.

Or was it this part-
2. Argentina’s import restrictions have caused great annoyance among Argentina’s neighbours including Uruguay, Chile and Brazil, the very countries Argentina has persuaded to support its Falklands policy. And the ban on cruise ships calling at Ushuaia has angered people there..

Or was it this part-
3. There is much discontent in Argentina. Despite democratic elections and impressive economic growth, the country is beset with unrest and demonstrations, widespread crime, corruption and cronyism, high inflation, poverty and child starvation in a land of plentiful food.

Or was it this part-
4. President Fernandez de Kirchner is at odds with substantial parts of the media and with the YPF oil company now part of a Spanish corporation. She has criticised it for lack of effort in exploring for more oil as Argentina’s supplies become depleted.
Last year the country spent nine billion dollars on oil imports, expected to rise to 13 billion this year. No wonder it casts covetous eyes on what may lie in Falklands’ waters; serves it right for reneging on agreements which could have encouraged co-operation on oil and preservation of fish stocks.

Or was it this part-
5. Islanders are right to be sceptical about her offer to revisit the 1999 agreement and try to switch LAN flights from Chile to Buenos Aires flights by Aerolineas Argentinas which, apart from the political pitfalls, is not a reliable airline commercially. Decades of monitoring Argentina have convinced me of one enduring characteristic - it just cannot be trusted, whether under military or civilian rule, and whether pursuing aggressive or deceptively moderate policies.

Or is this part-
6. I am not convinced of that refreshing scenario but my experience canvassing the views of Argentines over the past 30 years is that younger people are far more concerned with getting a good education and a job, how to enjoy their next free evening and what mobile telephone to buy next. I think there is a growing glimmer of realism and scepticism especially about the historical falsehoods and misinformation deployed in support of Argentina’s claim. Its exaggerated rhetoric, not least its accusation of UK “militarization” of the South Atlantic, is proving counter-productive. Its submissions to the United Nations have been met by the UK’s robust rebuttal and a detailed, factual account of events going back centuries validating British sovereignty.

Or was it this -
7. I heard a lot of criticism of the president’s ranting about the Malvinas. The recent declaration by 17 leading Argentine intellectuals challenging the President’s demands for sovereignty of the Falkland Islands is a view shared by other people in Argentina at all levels of society.
http://uk.enewsleak.com/argentine-i...hould-be-allowed-to-decided-their-own-future/

Back