You can put *anything* in an empanada

I saw Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup in the Jumbo on Thursday - it was at the end of an aisle, close to the beverages section, maybe 3 aisles from the soda aisle, and on the end of the aisle closest to the pitiful International / Imported Food section.

La Marlina said:
I saw Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup in the Jumbo on Thursday - it was at the end of an aisle, close to the beverages section, maybe 3 aisles from the soda aisle, and on the end of the aisle closest to the pitiful International / Imported Food section.

They recently started selling Campbell's tomato and cream of mushroom (saw it at Coto, too), but at nearly 15 pesos a can you can buy mushrooms and cream and make a lot more of a more delicious version of your own while skipping the (partially hydrogenated?) corn syrup (and msg? I can't remember for sure--read the label in my excitement and then was sad to realize that there was that junk in there)! Granted, it does take about an hour. I have yet to experiment with making my own empanadas here, but there are definitely some good ideas... I like the idea of a curried chicken empanada, pot pie style or broccoli and cheese... yum.

My fave is figs, goat cheese and prosciutto...as well as the more pedestrian espinaca y queso.

And don't forget the BEST thing to put ON your empanada - Vegemite :)

Mmm. So many good ideas. I did some with eggs, cheese, mushroom and chives the other day for breakfast--they turned out like mini-quiches. Just make sure you put the eggs in while they're still a little runny. Have also made empanadas with carmelized onions, sauteed cubed sweet potatoe, curry, dash of cinnamon and raisins.

Johnno said:
And don't forget the BEST thing to put ON your empanada - Vegemite :)
You are perverted, demented and sadistic. Vegemite is evil.:eek:

GREAT ideas! I'm gonna make some curried lentil-potato-peas-carrot ones right now. I like using textured vegetable protein (from barrio chino, soaked, well rinsed, fried in soy sauce to make meat crumbles) and pure de papa or other steamed vegetables.

My only innovation was to make little apple pie strudles. Chop one apple in eighths or twelths-in big chunks. Fry them in butter with a spoonful or sugar and a heaping of cinnamon, fry in a spoonful of brandy...or red or white wine, whatever you have on hand. Then wrap them, sprinkle some leftover butter from the pan on top, and bake them. One apple is enough for five or six empanadas with a 2 or 3 apple bits inside, which is enough for two people's small breakfast.

Back