You can put *anything* in an empanada

smirkypants

Registered
So I've been going nuts trying all kinds of things in empanadas after deciding I was tired of the standard fare. Some examples:
• make a small batch of chile con carne, stuff in empanada shells with some cheese.
• make a chicken pot pie filling and stuff the little guys—with a bit of port wine is best.
• peanut butter and jelly! brush with butter and make sure you let them cool well! The jelly caramelizes and can be very dangerous until it cools a bit, but delicious!

Anyone else have any ideas?

smirkypants said:
So I've been going nuts trying all kinds of things in empanadas after deciding I was tired of the standard fare. Some examples:
• make a small batch of chile con carne, stuff in empanada shells with some cheese.
• make a chicken pot pie filling and stuff the little guys—with a bit of port wine is best.
• peanut butter and jelly! brush with butter and make sure you let them cool well! The jelly caramelizes and can be very dangerous until it cools a bit, but delicious!

Anyone else have any ideas?

--Cream of mushroom with chicken and brocoli (like a chicken pot pie)

--Refried beans, cheese, touch of salsa for spice, and jalapenos (chicken or beef optional)

--Potatoes, cheese, sour cream, chives, and garlic

--Seasoned steak (like in a cheesesteak), bell peppers, and cheese

--Pepperoni or similar sausage and cheese...optional vegetables

--Goat cheese and roma tomatoes

Not sure if all of these would work, but sounds damn good.

My favorite so far had chicken with blue cheese and apple butter
Jimmy's favorite has black beans with cumin, broccoli and bananas

Since my son went vegan I make these samosa like empanadas with curried potatoes, onions and green peas, they are awesome :) I bet curried lentils with cream and potatoes would work wonderful too, gotta try that soon...

We made dessert empanadas: one batch apples, cinnamon, and raisins, one batch banana nutella. A-MA-ZING.

lilabaila2 said:
We made dessert empanadas: one batch apples, cinnamon, and raisins, one batch banana nutella. A-MA-ZING.
damn banana + nutella = bombastic!

Strange that no-one's mentioned crappy Argie pizza as a filling. If not in empanadas then maybe as insulation/sound proofing material in buildings.

I suggest trying a banana-nutella croque-monsieur made with brioche bread.

Have you found cream of mushroom soup here? If so, where?

Back