Young & well to do. Should I move to BA?

You're single and you make 6 figures, remotely, in dollars. That's an excellent framework to keep you from falling on your face as you learn to survive here. I, a single, 23 year old US male, can live comfortably here on $1,000 US per month, and I could survive on $500. However, unlike you I already know BA and how things work. Keep in mind that one's cost of living is greatly determined by how he/she likes to live.

How's your Spanish? At the very least I recommend that you simply come down here and get your feet on the ground so you can get a feel for this place and practice your Spanish. Why would you move to a new place before you have any idea as to whether you will like it or not? No need to take out a visa. Just get on a plane and come down for a visit. The weather is just starting to get beautiful.

I disagree with people here.
Tell us more about your hobbies and lifestyle.
The most important thing is that you can earn in USD and not work here with local people, tax authorities, conduct business here, this place is ideal and great.
Inflation and all, in USD you will not be affected.

If you like the good life, good food, wine, polo, horseback riding, travelling, and can afford a nice place to rent plus work remotley, then yes, it's a good choice.
Lots of good area to live in.
If you are single and earn a good salary, ask other people who earn as you do and live here, do not ask other expats who make average money or less...it's a matter of lifestyle and what you get for your buck.
I have lived in 4 countries and here defintly I have the best quality of life for the price.
I do business here and outside, and here its very difficult and I curse things here every day...but at the same time there are good opportunities here and it's a good place to be, moreso if you earn in Euro or USD..

Buenos Aires is not the US and it's not Europe, so don't expect things to work the same. :p

Do you know Spanish or have any experience in South America? If you're going to make the move, knowing the language will be of great help if not necessary if you don't have any friends or anyone to rely on.

Buenos Aires is definitely not cheap - especially if you want to live in a nice part of town and buy quality goods and services. You will have a difficult time finding the variety and quality vs price ratio you are used to in the States. I'm in the States now and after getting the Sunday ads in the paper I realize just how overpriced things are down there!

Several expats have had rather bad luck meeting and befriending locals... I personally haven't had that experience, but everyone's experiences and background is different.

Why don't you come down for a few weeks to try it out and see how you like it before committing to 6 months? I think for at least a few months you'll enjoy the place... most of the people who are burned out have been here for a while now and have seen a lot of changes and grown tired of it. Buenos Aires has it's charm and it's certainly different in a lot of ways which you may grow to love... or realize how much you miss home. :) Either way it's an adventure.

It sounds like you're in the perfect situation to move here. You can earn in dollars and spend in pesos and all you need is an Internet connection. I came in a similar situation in 2008 and am still here. I would plan to come for at least 6 months and see what you think.

-Is it easy to come here by yourself?
Very easy. There is a large expat community here and it is easy to meet a lot of people in the tech scene, etc. Not sure what age you are, but there are frequent bar outings, dinners, etc. It would help to know Spanish, but you can enroll in intensive classes when you get here.

-Would you recommend staying here
Definitely. It's a great vibrant city, with a lot to offer. I would say it compares favorably to any major city in the world, and for 6 months I think you would be quite happy.

-Is it really that cheap (i've read lots of horror stories here)
I am not saying cheap anymore, but definitely affordable. You should plan to spend at least U$S 1200/month for an apartment here. That will be your biggest expense.

-Is there a good single/dating life?
Once again, this is an age and expectations thing. There are a lot of expat meet ups and get togethers. Meeting Argentines takes a bit more work, but is far from impossible. Not sure if the bar/club thing is your scene or you're more the museum type.

-Is it hard to meet people?
Same as above - depends on expectations, age, etc. Very easy to meet expats, but a lot of people are transient here and on short stays. There's tons of Facebook groups, meetups, etc.

Eclair said:
I think for at least a few months you'll enjoy the place... most of the people who are burned out have been here for a while now and have seen a lot of changes and grown tired of it. Buenos Aires has it's charm and it's certainly different in a lot of ways which you may grow to love... or realize how much you miss home.

Very true, it took me 18 months to even want to go back to the States to visit I was so in love. Now after 6 years, meh.

Anyway, my dream life would be 6 months of the year in Patagonia and 6 in the States (Oregon or Montana).

If you're young and have the money, I think BsAs is a good place to be for 6 months. Just don't expect it to be much cheaper than living in the U.S.

Meeting other foreigners is pretty easy, but I find it difficult to maintain friendships as people are constantly coming and going.

And given your situation, definitely get out there and see the world!

I think you will have a blast here. Your salary provides a great cushion to the sometimes harsh realities of BA life. (Live in a furnished high rise with a doorman and a pool, pay your maid to stand in those long lines, etc.) Form a circle of expat friends, party for six months, and live it up. Travel around Argentina--it's absolutely beautiful. Search the forum about dating in BA....At the very least you'll be amused by the stories.

Totally worth it to come for 6 months and see how you like it. Read, read, read all you can about the realities of living here. Forewarned is forearmed (or something like that). :)

mimetic said:
Hello,

I work remotely in the states and make 6 figures in US dollars. All i need is a cell phone, computer, and internet. I think its silly for me to not travel and at least spend 6 months in a different country. Argentina works perfectly because of the timezone and the peso vs dollar exchange rate. A couple questions

1 Is it easy to come here by yourself?
2 Would you recommend staying here
3 Is it really that cheap (i've read lots of horror stories here)
4 Is there a good single/dating life?
5 Is it hard to meet people?

Anything else I should know? What would you guys do if you were me?

Thanks! :)

I'll try to answer your questions.

1. I came here by myself, didn't know anybody and now I have tons of friends and a decent support network.

2. Come try it out.

3. It is and it isn't. Rent is cheaper than some places, more expensive than others. 6 figures could mean 900000 different things if the first digit is anything other than 1 or if it is and the second is larger than 4, I'd say you'd probably not have to worry as a single person here.

Electronics and other first world crap is ridiculously expensive but you can just buy that in the US. Food is cheap. I ate out at a fantastic world class restaurant the other day and ordering a $30 dollar retail priced wine, 2 entrées, 2 appetizers, a dessert plus coffee for about 110 USD with tip. In the US that 30 dollar bottle of wine by itself would have been 90+ at the restaurant. I've eaten at the most expensive restaurants in Buenos Aires and its very difficult to spend more than $75 per person on food. Also the grocery store, while more expensive for somethings than stores in the states are over all a bit cheaper. Taxis are cheaper, for now than the states but are rapidly approaching. Overall I spend much less money than I did in the states and live better in some aspects, worse in others, but do so on quite a bit less than 6 figures. I also do all my shopping in the states (an alarming percentage of the clothes here are made out of plastic).

4. I'd say its pretty lively, its not going to be a "sex vacation" or anything, but its better than a lot of places in the US.

5. I made friends easily here, then again I did so in the US, so I can't really comment definitively. The being a foreigner aspect automatically endears you to other foreigners or at least is a conversation starter and plenty of Argentines will want to talk to you just as a chance to practice their English.

If you need Internet for your work, I suggest you rent an apartment and sign up for 2 separate internet plans from different companies. Install 2 routers and incase one goes down, or is slow, you can switch to the other.

mimetic said:
Hello,

I work remotely in the states and make 6 figures in US dollars. All i need is a cell phone, computer, and internet. I think its silly for me to not travel and at least spend 6 months in a different country. Argentina works perfectly because of the timezone and the peso vs dollar exchange rate. A couple questions

Young or old , poor or rich this city is a great place for anyone for 3-6 months. Just be cautious of mentioning your wealth or how much you earn when you're here. Mhy experience is that really decent Argentineans value character, personality and warmth more than money and find people who talk about money weak and distasteful and the type of Argentinean who wants to be around you because of such is someone you want to avoid like the plague. The really good quality people here don't play one upmanship games in terms of salary or "toys" and I have met some seriously wealthy people who act like normal guys and will invite you into their circle because of who you are and not what you earn. There's sad losers here like in any city but if you get into the right cicle of friends you may stay forever!

Back