Young & well to do. Should I move to BA?

As I work remotely (UK and Australia mostly) as well and traveled extensively, I recommend you not to come to Argentina. There are better places for location independent types. South East Asia coming to my mind first. If you still want Latin America, seriously consider Mexico. Cheaper, friendlier people, closer to the USA, beaches, etc.

PhilipDT said:
You and I have very different definitions of beautiful. :eek:

I like the heat; but nevertheless, this current week's weather is hotter than normal for early november. Next Wednesday it is set to drop back down a bit to around 24 C.

Anyway, like someone else already mentioned, if the OP doesn't come down now it will only get hotter until March.

You need to speak spanish or you ll be restricted to just meeting mostly american girls which you can do in america

However if you speak spanish and earn a lot of foreign currency this city is totally fkking awesome, dont listen to the haters, for going out 7 days a week and having fun buenos aires rules if you have cash

I should also say you dont need perfect spanish, just enough to hold a conversation with someone who doesnt speak english

It's a personal decision. You can have a great living on your wage, but people fed up will tell you "don't come" and people who love it will tell you "definitely".

MasChicoTenes said:
I should also say you dont need perfect spanish, just enough to hold a conversation with someone who doesnt speak english

This is definitely not the case, as it's been with me and some other English speakers I know.

edit: nevermind I read this wrong, but your statement above is what I'm referring to.

Hell yeah you should come! Argentina is a really fun place when you have essentially an unlimited budget!

mimetic said:
Hello,

I work remotely in the states and make 6 figures in US dollars. All i need is a cell phone, computer, and internet. I think its silly for me to not travel and at least spend 6 months in a different country. Argentina works perfectly because of the timezone and the peso vs dollar exchange rate. A couple questions

-Is it easy to come here by yourself?
-Would you recommend staying here
-Is it really that cheap (i've read lots of horror stories here)
-Is there a good single/dating life?
-Is it hard to meet people?

Anything else I should know? What would you guys do if you were me?

Thanks! :)

Here's my advice...forget Argentina and find a place with nicer people and more culture.

You need to get out more. You seem to know only obnoxious Palermitanos and expats. It is fucking Buenos Aires, one of three or five cultural capitals of the world (Paris, NYC, Berlin, and... what else?)

mimetic said:
I work remotely in the states and make 6 figures in US dollars. All i need is a cell phone, computer, and internet. I think its silly for me to not travel and at least spend 6 months in a different country.

All i would say is get off your arse and out of your comfort zone and just do it.
Its not perfect here, nor anywhere else for that matter, but it is different, it is a change, it is a challenge - and you are in the perfect situation to move around if you dont like somewhere, or you want a change, a new challenge, fall in love etc.....

I have been doing this kind of thing for years, and it hasnt been all plan sailing, however i have done alot more then i otherwise would have or most people i know, and when i wake up and am 64 years old at least i wont be saying "if only i had done this when i was 30 or 40".. well maybe i will be, but it would be for things like "i wish i had bought a house, got a mortgage, been in debt all my life, been working at the same place at a job i hate...."

Life is sort, so dont worry about the smaill things like if its expensive here (you can always move on), would you recomend staying (you are the only one who can answered that), is it hard to meet people (its always easy to meet people - just maybe not the people you want to meet), easy to date (or what you really mean is it easy to hook up for a bit of rumpy pumpy - again depends on you)...

As my grandfather always said - make hay while the sun shines...

Back