Your Favorite Local Places for Sightseeing?

B

Bianca

What are your favorite local (touristy or not) places to sightsee? Where is your favorite place in the city, your favorite plaza, neighborhood, building or monument? I'm hoping to spend some time doing local/short distance trips (just a couple hours to spend at each place) to get out and explore more of the city. Ideally, I'd like to find areas of interest that are easily accessible via bus or the subte and that are relatively safe (I'll be alone) and not too far from the city center. Think Recoleta Cemetary or MALBA or China Town. Local stuff.

Reactions: Joe
Try El Ateneo, on Santa Fe just up from Callao, only a bookshop you may say, but if you can walk in and not say Wow the first time you would have to be soulless.
Bileoteca Nacional and El Planetario both show what 70s architecture should be like.
The Rosendahl, though perhaps not at its best this time of year.
If you go down to San Telmo of course Plaza Dorrego and all the antique places, but walk down Piedras and stop to take some pictures of Hotel Royal Dandi, if you are lucky, a big Black guy will come out and drag you in insisting you take pictures inside as well. Don't forget also Manzanas de Luces, my own view is the tunnels are not worth seeing but the courtyard and tour are unmissable.
Have a look at the maps, the best way to see everything is to walk, you will come across some wonderfull Plazas like Guemes, Almagro, and the parks like Centenario.
While walking you may notice that the shopping is sort of Ghettoised, for instance on Maipu are all the tango shops Llavalle all the habadashery, and all the wig shops on Peru.
Only on foot will all this become clear, just watch out for the dog muck:D

top of the panamericano hotel .on 9 de julio..... a limited little bar with sandwiches, day memberships for pool and gym, massage.......and champagne available with a great view of the city. lounge chairs outside on a terrace. one of the few places you can get a great view of the city especially all of 9th de julio and teatro colon. english spoken

Another place for sightseeing from above is the Club Europeo, at Corrientes 327 (also known as "Club Aleman") It´s on the 21st floor, and the best is to get there before sunset, and see how the day goes into night. You can see the entire Obelisco, and Puerto Madero.

Nothing much happens there today or tomorrow. You´ld better go either Monday or Wednesday when at 7pm, you can join in on the langauge groups. (Mon. English, German, Portuguese, or Wed. Spanish, French)

There´s a good and inexpesive bar there to fill in your time too.

These all sound like great places to visit! Thanks for posting... I'm planning out my schedule now! :)

Tangobob, what is The Rosendahl?

Bianca said:
These all sound like great places to visit! Thanks for posting... I'm planning out my schedule now! :)

Tangobob, what is The Rosendahl?

It is a rose garden "Rosedal" sorry misspelling. Off Libertador Just past the Japanese garden and Sarmiento.

its a rose garden during the day and at night a place to pick up transvetite hookers.

I love La Feria de Mataderos on a Sunday. More folkloric than the antique/tango style San Telmo markets. Lots of folklore music and dance and yummy pastalitos! You'll have to take a bus out there. I can't remember what bus number but pretty sure you could find one on Rivadavia.

diego7david said:
its a rose garden during the day and at night a place to pick up transvetite hookers.

24 hour sightseeing! :eek: Thanks for the heads up!

erindanelle said:
I love La Feria de Mataderos on a Sunday. More folkloric than the antique/tango style San Telmo markets. Lots of folklore music and dance and yummy pastalitos! You'll have to take a bus out there. I can't remember what bus number but pretty sure you could find one on Rivadavia.

It's a 92

Back