Zika Virus

jeff1234

Registered
All the articles and posts I've read about the Zikavirus say that it only effects women who are pregnant or expect to become pregnant soon.

This article from todays NY Post tells about the horrible experiences that a young woman and her father had in Rio, unrelated to pregnancies.

http://nypost.com/2016/01/28/first-person-account-of-being-stricken-with-the-zika-virus/

I'm mainly writing this post because a friend of ours, a doctor actually, went on vacation to Iguazu in December. Shortly after her return her kidneys and lungs suddenly failed. So far many, many tests have failed to show a cause. We're waiting for further results but it looks like she contracted Hantavirus on vacation. This is an insect borne virus that has no treatment and is currently occurring in Argentina.

Folks, please use alot of insect repellent.

This whole saga is turning into a bad scifi movie.
Yes, yes, correlation is not causation. But still....

Zika Outbreak Epicenter In Same Area Genetically-Modified Mosquitoes Released In 2015

Area where the genetically modified mosquito was first released.
zika-virus-2.jpg

Areas of incidence of the Zika virus
zika-epicenter.png

I have to travel to Belem and Manaus for work next week..Is it a final goodbye to BA expats?

Thanks to zika?

lol a zerohedge article based on a reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/conspiracy post.

Does not change the fact that it is indeed the location of where the genetically modified mosquitoes were released, and it is the area of where highest incidence of the virus is happening. None of those two facts are in dispute.
With that in mind, is the hypotheses that these two facts might related somehow, worth investigating? I think it is.

I would say that the correlation is that the modified sterile mosquitos were released in order to shrink the population of mosquitos able to carry virus without dying or defeating it themselves.
The virus itself comes from Africa, I'm sorry I can't give you a better geografical position, where the local population builds up an immunity before they reach a reproductive age. As a healthy adult you get mild flu symptoms, it seems to be that the fetus is the one in trouble.

Do listen to the last Science in Action from the BBC.

Belem and Manaus? You are still more likely to be shot or stabbed or forcibly sodomized, or any combination of those.

been there many times in 2014 & 2015,have not been "willingly" sodomized or focibiliy sodomized as yet! I am only worried about zika.

No need to create fear mongering and be a smart ass/ just cos you were born in Brazil. Brazil is a very big country. Its not necessary that you know each and every inch of it like the back of yr hand just cos you were born there and speak the language.''

---

My concern mainly was being close to the river and trees, perhaps there will be more mosquitos there and henceforth more the chances of contracting zika.

Does not change the fact that it is indeed the location of where the genetically modified mosquitoes were released, and it is the area of where highest incidence of the virus is happening. None of those two facts are in dispute.
With that in mind, is the hypotheses that these two facts might related somehow, worth investigating? I think it is.

According to what map? I thought you were Brazilian? The first map points to Juazeiro do Norte in the State of Ceara, The Mosquitoes were released in Juazeiro in the state of Bahia.
I've overlaid them quickly on a map for you.

3e2IDjM.png

Even if the first map was correct you're talking about a distance over 500km away from where that huge batch of cases is.

Press Release from Oxitec
http://www.oxitec.com/press-release-oxitec-mosquito-works-to-control-aedes-aegypti-in-dengue-hotspo/

The Paper
http://journals.plos...al.pntd.0003864

Here we describe sustained series of field releases of OX513A Ae. aegypti males in a suburb of Juazeiro, Bahia, Brazil.

Again, an article on zerohedge based on a post on reddit /r/ conspiracy. lol

Juazeiro and Juazeiro do Norte are like...200km apart, almost on the same longitude, and virtually equidistant from the main focus centers of the disease, which are the major metropolitan areas in Northeastern Brazil. So frankly, the map pointing to Juazeiro or Juazeiro do Norte makes very little difference.

Again, I am not stating that there is in fact a correlation, but it is a hypothesis worth investigating. Specially when the same lab that did the original genetically modified mosquito, now says that it will fight the Zika virus with a new batch of genetically modified mosquitoes.

Back