$11,000 For A Built-In Closet. I'll Do It Myself.

Not only will it be $11,000, but it will take six months for the carpenter to come and get it done, and he might never finish it. Always try to do anything that you can by yourself in Argentina that has to do with carpentry, home repair, or construction. I did some melamina cabinets that matched the bottom ones in my new apartment, because the builder did not put in top cabinets. It was time consuming, but not particularly difficult since they will cut all the pieces for you.

I can attest to the fact that the melamine covered fiberboard product that is manufactured and sold here is the absolute worst quality that is out there. We had some kitchen cabinets made and they started falling apart a few weeks after they were installed. Of course we had to fight and fight to get any satisfaction, but when I made a big sign on cardboard about what junk they sell and stood in front of the guys store on the sidewalk yelling to everybody that passed what happened, he then changed is tune. Now do you understand why people protest so much here? Because it's the only way to get results - bien Argentino!

About 6 years ago when I bought my first apartment here, it was in a brand new building. None of the closets had the insides done, not as much as a wooden rod to hang clothes. So I had some people come to give me estimates for the "interiores de placards" which were all that melamine junk cut and custom fit inside of the closet. For each closet that measured about 1m 80cm wide by 2m 50cm tall they wanted between $5,000 - $6,000 pesos. So I had an idea, I went to one of those stores that makes unpainted pine furniture. I had them make some furniture out of plain solid pine wood that fit exactly inside of the closets. 2 tall dressers and 2 shelving units that went up to the ceiling. They delivered the 4 pieces to my apartment, I stained them a dark cherry color and the furniture cost a total of $2,800 pesos. Much less than the melanine board junk I was being offered for double the price. Granted this was 6 years ago, however I am sure if you are willing to do the same thing now it will cost you less than half the price and it's moveable furniture made of real wood that you can even take with you if you move (when I sold the apartment I left it there as part of the deal). Just an idea that worked for me, here you have to really be ingenious not to get stuck with a lot of the junk that's offered for huge sums of money.

If you think knocking together a few bits of low grade chip board together = carpentry then I hope you are satisfied by the results.

More sweeping statements about the quality of work etc in Argentina. I've seen some first grade work here which is painstakingly professional.

Since when does quality come cheap?

Quality isn't cheap... but it's still hard to come by even when you think you're paying a fair price. Although I will say, in Argentina, 'cheap' (or fair) often comes out to be expensive.

Against my repeated reservations, my husband hired a "carpenter" to build a simple staircase. It was 8,000 pesos and I'm very disappointed. I am now debating whether to have the staircase ripped out now and rebuilt before floors are put in, or wait and do another renovation in a couple of years. Awful work and there's no recourse. Of course there's better workmen, like the ones that did my sister-in-law's staircase, but although it was generally a good job, they never came back to fix a sloping step that shouldn't have been there in the first place. :confused:

Shoddy craftsmen exist anywhere, but Argentina takes the cake out of the countries I've been in. Lack of affordable tools and materials (whether it's new models or rent centers or just plain unavailable) plus a lack of standards/certifications makes for more expensive and less quality work. The funny thing is even the bad carpenters are always busy. :p

Alcraz and Citygirl, I apoligize if my response came across as rude, it was not intended..My mention of gullable was not directed to you, but one as to admit that when people or groups of people are percieved to be rich and willing to spend money like it were free (notice that I said percieved) then they become a target. I have gone to a grocery and purchased a tomato,an onion, and a potato....I was charged 5 pesos (this was about 7 years ago) amazing...I showed these items to an Argentine friend and asked him to go to the same grocer and buy the same items. He returned a few minutes later and paid 1.75. I think you get my point. Expats need to be careful about being overcharged for everything, as this will (and has) lead to even more overcharging...Not all people in Argentina are trying to rip people off, but when they do and get away with it,,,,,,,one bad apple spoils the barrel. Again, I am sorry if I have offended anyone

No worries, James. So, I have now heard back from everyone I emailed. The lowest quote I got was 5400 pesos. Still not sure if we'll go that route. The price differences do make you wonder...am I getting terrible quality or is the expensive guy just totally ripping me off? Or a bad mix of both? But this has happened dozens of times here. I remember being quoted everything from 4000 to 15000 pesos for a tent for our wedding. We went with the 4000 and it worked just great. Anyway, we thought of another option...buying a large used wood placard on MercadoLibre and assembling it back together. Hmm...might head to La Viruta tomorrow to compare material costs. Thanks again for all the info and if I end up having any recommendations I'll let you know!

@James - totally agree and I probably overreacted. Tone gets lost sometimes. Sorry for snapping at you as well.

Good luck allacraz!

You talking about your placards or another type of walk in wardrobe, Because we paid about 11 or so for 4 placards. or we can pass on the number of our carpintero who does all our muebles etc great quality and pretty cheap.

You talking about your placards or another type of walk in wardrobe, Because we paid about 11 or so for 4 placards. or we can pass on the number of our carpintero who does all our muebles etc great quality and pretty cheap.
I would love to have your carpintero's number, we have some work that need's to be done.
Nancy

Back