19 Year Old Bilingual, What Kind Of Job/salary Can I Expect?

Looking at that link I posted, I'd be tempted to go to Lyon -- of course instead of the Freshman 15 (15lbs gained in first yr university) it would be more like the Freshman 50... nom nom (yikes dreaming of yummy food again...)

I am Argentinean, My advice: It seems to me that you want to live in Argentina for a worthwhile reason and probably you should do it. However do not do it right now, wait for a new Argentinean government and see if security improves, and crime rate is reduced (If you are going to be here without relatives, it is important you to be at least in a safe place).
Do something that is not extremely complex to do, and not so simple that anybody can do (like working in a boring office looking at the roof and pretending it is awe-inspiring). Try to anticipate to what will be needed in the future and choose something you like; always make a major effort to succeed;
Make smart contacts (really difficult in Arg and in the rest of the world), ignore those who do not want to study/work/etc and make a lot of $ without effort (this never works, and will also lead you into troubles. Contacts that choose shortcuts will manage to find a shortcut when you'll need help, or will try to take advantage from you as soon as they can). So basically, if you have friends here, check what kind of friends you have in Argentina, you might ask questions like: if you could work in the Argentinean customs office and make money receiving bribes without considerable effort, would you do it? If answer is yes, this means that your friend will take advantage from you too sooner or later. (Comment I said is not as flamboyant as it looks, it is a very a very common issue)

19 year old bilingual ( OP) - You already know my views on the subject.

If I may add to it. If you are looking to jump off the cliff, right now and can not hold yourself any more. I would say, go to a booming economy. Chile, Peru, Colombia all have bubbling economies and perhaps if you are in these countries, you just might find yourself going up in life with the high tide.

The problem is not in your choice to take the plunge and leave USA. The problem is that you should head for the right location. Upcoming economies in 3rd world countries is not a bad place to start for a young budding entrepreneur.

Hey! From what I can tell, it seems like you would be a great candidate for a job at the company I'm interning for now. Caption Group is an international and leading production company for the following services for people with hearing and visual impairments: closed captioning (CC), audio description (AD), sign language (SL) and electronic subtitling in Spanish.
We're expanding our English department and need native English speakers who either live or study here or would be willing to move here to work. Mostly everyone who works here is bilingual, so Spanish competency isn't necessary (but it helps!). We're located in Colegiales in a safe, residential neighborhood in a beautifully renovated factory, and the work environment is welcoming, friendly, and vibrant. If you have any questions I would be happy to answer them for you (you can PM me if you want, I'm the same age as you and here to get better at Spanish!).

Here's the website: http://www.captiongroup.tv/

Here's the job description in Spanish and English:

IMPORTANTE EMPRESA DE COMUNICACIÓN BUSCA NATIVOS NORTEAMERICANOS, INGLESES Y/O AUSTRALIANOS CON RESIDENCIA EN ARGENTINA.

La búsqueda está orientada a personas nativas de USA, Inglaterra, Australia, Nueva Zelandia y/o Sudáfrica, que residan actualmente en Argentina. Buscamos personas con estudios terciarios y/o universitarios, para formar parte de un nuevo equipo de trabajo relacionado a los medios de comunicación. Es condición excluyente que sea metódico, prolijo y responsable con el trabajo. Con un excelente nivel de escritura.

Nuestra empresa se dedica a la producción y edición de subtítulos, y a la desgrabación de contenidos para importantes clientes de televisión e internet en todo el mundo. El trabajo es remunerado con modalidad part time o full time.

Para más información y contacto para entrevista personal, enviar un CV con datos completos a: [email protected]

HIRING NATIVE ENGLISH SPEAKERS WHO LIVE IN ARGENTINA TO WORK IN COMMUNICATIONS

Our company is looking for native English speakers from the United States, England, Australia, New Zealand, and/or South Africa, who currently reside in Argentina. We seek candidates with ­­tertiary or university education to be part of a new team of employees dedicated to communication media. Candidates must be able to work in a methodological, neat, and responsible manner, and have excellent written communication skills.

CAPTION GROUP is an international and leading production company for the following services: closed captioning (CC), audio description (AD), sign language (SL) and electronic subtitling in Spanish. CG is backed by international institutions dedicated to promoting inclusive services for people with hearing and visual impairments. Openings include part-time and full-time positions.
For more information and to apply for a personal interview, send a resume or CV to: [email protected]

You know, those aren't the only two options. There's a lot of places in the world where the OP could study where it might cost more money than here but not ludicrous American amounts (Spain, Canada (depends on university), Mexico).

In Canada she'd be able to get a job on campus where she'd actually make some cash towards paying tuition and living. And be in an educational system similar to USA -- ie course loads / exam styles. Here a lot of North Americans are just not used to the exam style (which by the way to the OP, in a lot of courses are going to be oral exams taken over various days).

Then there's Argentina. Different language, different system, and yet, cost of living not dirt cheap. In fact a lot of things surprisingly expensive. But any job you get you're going to be earning in pesos. So you'll have the broke student experience but even shittier -- especially because unlike your classmates, you won't be living at home getting free meals from mum and dad, who are probably also kicking in some pesos to allow the kids to go to the boliche, or they have a job as well. The only advantage to Argentina is the "free" tuition -- which I can't even remember now, but since the OP doesn't have a DNI doesn't it mean that it's actually not going to be free at all? Not sure how it works with UBA. Oh and remember that whole pesky thing of having to redo the last year or so of Argentine HS before you can get in -- which I'm still blown away by, and which my husband is convinced is not true, but seems to come up on this forum a lot.

I don't know, being 100k + in debt sucks, but there are better options that Argentina. Who the hell knows what will happen in 2015 as well. I would not want to be a broke student with no family in Buenos Aires that's for sure -- there's got to be a lot of better options out there. Guadelajara? Ecuador?

Whaddya know -- I just googled "countries reasonable tuition rates international students" and guess what, there are better options:

http://www.topuniver...s-students-2014

http://www.topuniver...dy-destinations
theres tuition if you dont have a dni?

Not to be pessimistic, but I do not know many 19 year old people in this country that can manage to get jobs. At age 19, you are looked at as a little kid and you will not be thought of as an adult, in just about every arena. People will not want to rent to you either. It will help slightly that you are a foreigner as people may take you a bit more serious, but the wisdom here of most people is that at 19 you are just a snot nosed kid.

Not to be pessimistic, but I do not know many 19 year old people in this country that can manage to get jobs. At age 19, you are looked at as a little kid and you will not be thought of as an adult, in just about every arena. People will not want to rent to you either. It will help slightly that you are a foreigner as people may take you a bit more serious, but the wisdom here of most people is that at 19 you are just a snot nosed kid.
I know a 19 year old who rents an apartment and supports himself.

Back