2 tourists shot outside Faena Hotel P. Madero

A famous apocryphal story is that Willie Sutton was asked by reporter Mitch Ohnstad why he robbed banks. According to Ohnstad, he replied, "Because that's where the money is". (Wikipedia)

Thieves must be getting smarter and going where the money is.

T/

@perry, you're not a keyboard worrier by any chance, are you?
You mean why are we so expressive and voice views / opinion. I think the forums were designed for ppl to give an opinion.
And when did I ask you to leave??? Of the 5000 Aussie you mention, name me 5. I know of one particular case that didn't like or adapt to the Australian way and returned to Arg.
And looks like nothing, you can stay here and be a free person, I have no control over you or you decision but to make a comment that Marci's Gov would filtered such news is pathetic and coming from an expat, way below the belt.
Yes Argentina is Glorious and Magnificent but poorly governed.
It will take generations of criollos to understand that politics should not be treated like a "futbol" team mentality but to elected what is best for the country and not for one weekend worth of "sidra y choripan"

Happy to discuss further if need be.

Back home we have to saying to ppl who criticise my beloved donwunder. 1- Love her or leave her. 2- FIFO: Fit In or F- - - Off.

According to the police the tourist were followed from the airport to the hotel.
This wasn’t a random act of violence. There were two back up cars involved.
Apparently the thieves were interested in the man's laptop and the information that was in It.
The plot thickens...

Could you expand on the laptop thing? The whole set up looks fishy - too many thugs to rob just a cell phone....

Comon lets not clutch at straws 4 to 16 in one year is a huge increase do you not think ? Puerto Madero is safer definetely than other neighbourhoods in Buenos Aires but the crime figures of 2018 show a general increase of crime.

4 to 16 is statistically very insignificant in a metro with 15 million people.

Feel free to name me a few European cities where you are more likely to be murdered for a mobile phone than Buenos Aires. Bearing in mind this happened in one of the richest parts of the ENTIRE COUNTRY. You would never get that in europe. South London council estate, Parisienne banlieue etc etc, small posibillity. But who would go to those areas? In Buenos Aires you are safe nowhere. Incomparable to Europe

I suppose BA is still safe enough for you to still want to be here...

I’m equally bewildered by the reflexive defensiveness every time something like this happens in Argentina. And let’s be honest, the inside job-motochorro robbery is a very Argentine style of robbery. Yes, the US, Australia and Europe all have shocking incidents of violence, particularly the US with mass shootings. I just don’t see how deflecting to other countries is helpful. Clearly, the robbery rate in BA is off the charts, and is massively underreported. Probably half of my friends in Argentina have been robbed, whether with a gun on the street for an iPhone or being locked up in their bathroom while their house was ransacked. That is not the case in other countries where I have family and friends. I’d never heard of people having two safes in their house (one for the robbers and one with the good stuff) until I moved to BA. That’s the reality. Best to face it and use that info to be careful and respond appropriately if you’ve ever in that situation. No material item is worth your life or your child’s life.

I just don’t understand the brigade of expats that will defend Argentina tooth and nail when it comes to this stuff. So overly defensive and in denial

Back