2 tourists shot outside Faena Hotel P. Madero

Nice to find a fellow Trekkie in this board....!

Now, to clarify my post. The two women I mentioned were being forced into their own homes, where the muggers could do whatever they pleased - torture, rape, murder, you name it - with total impunity. So they decided they stood a better chance of survival if they resisted.

I will not fight over a watch, or a phone, but I think I would fight against letting thugs into my home.
Ah, I understand and agree. I think the FBI advises people to never simply allow an attacker to take you to a second location (house, car, another place) because it almost always results in death or sexual attack (especially for young girls). As unsavoury as it is I have told my daughter to kick, bite, fight, and scream on the street if it looks like she's being abducted.

My brother in law was in his van with his son sitting outside Saenz Pena train station when a woman came running to his van hitting the windows and asking for help. Within seconds three guys followed her, grabbed her and took her into a car and drove off. He was stunned and affected by it.

I received the following message from the US Embassy about security during the holidays.

Below are some holiday-specific tips to help reduce your vulnerability to crime.

In your home

· Verify the identity of the visitor through the peephole, an intercom, or other means before opening the door. If you know the person, ensure that no strangers are forcing your visitor to have the door opened. If anything feels wrong, trust your instincts and do not open the door.

· Be aware of persons loitering on your street or in your neighborhood – they may be criminals conducting surveillance.

· Ensure that you are utilizing your locks and any security systems throughout your home.

· Do not place holiday gifts where they can be seen from outside the home.

In your car

· Do not leave valuables in your vehicles neither in the seat nor in the trunk. Return home to drop off your purchases rather than leave them in the car. A parked vehicle full of gifts/groceries may be a target of a follow-home robbery.

· Ensure your doors are locked while driving. We recommend that you leave your windows rolled up -especially at stoplights – as thieves often reach inside stopped vehicles to take belongings.

While on the Street

· Keep your cell phone in your purse or pocket. If you need to check your phone or make a phone call, go inside a store or restaurant.

· If you are talking on your cell phone or checking messages in public, stay aware of your surroundings.

· If you are carrying a purse, wear the strap across your body and maintain positive control of it at all times.

· Try not to wear flashy clothes or jewelry in public; it can make you an attractive target for criminals. Expensive / high end watches are highly sought after and often raise the owner’s profile and make them a target for robbery.

· If you are carrying a wallet, carry it in your front or an inside pocket.

A personal tip for women drivers. Carry your handbag on the floor, between the back of your legs and the car seat. That makes it not only invisible from the outside, but also hard to reach if the "chorros" guess it is there.

Same goes for laptops, etc. - whatever fits in that space. Thins placed flat against the car seat don't interfere with the pedals.

We once got surrounded by several teenagers while leaving Mater Dei (our newborn twins were just a few days old and still in neonatal). We handed over all the pesos we had because we couldn't be sure they didn't have knives and if they did, and they were kids, it wasn't like they were scared of repercussions if they stabbed us.

We once got surrounded by several teenagers while leaving Mater Dei (our newborn twins were just a few days old and still in neonatal). We handed over all the pesos we had because we couldn't be sure they didn't have knives and if they did, and they were kids, it wasn't like they were scared of repercussions if they stabbed us.

wise decision, teen agers stab you, spend one hour at the station and go Scott free..!

wise decision, teen agers stab you, spend one hour at the station and go Scott free..!
When I first arrived I got saved from being robbed/stabbed due to not processing what was happening fast enough. I was walking past Hospital Infantil Ricardo Gutiérrez right when it was starting to get dark. There was an old broken down mini bus on the side of the road. I went to walk past it and right before I got to the bus I saw a kid sitting there. He said something to me but I didn't really hear it and kept walking. He whistled as I passed him and another kid jumped out of the bus right in front of me with a knife. I walk fast and am a big guy. The kid was 13 or 14, smaller. I didn't really realize what was happening for a few seconds and just kept walking fast as normal. It took me another few seconds to realize what happened before I took off at a run. My friends say the kid was probably just surprised I didn't react and due to my size (kid with the knife couldn't see me until he jumped out, his friend signaled him that I was coming). Complete dumb luck.

i walked by faena this morning. felt odd to know that someone was shot and killed there just a week ago.

i did notice a police officer standing guard on the corner.

Yesterday the bronze doorknob on our building entrance bars was missing. Stolen, of course, to sell for whatever they can get.

A personal tip for women drivers. Carry your handbag on the floor, between the back of your legs and the car seat. That makes it not only invisible from the outside, but also hard to reach if the "chorros" guess it is there.

Same goes for laptops, etc. - whatever fits in that space. Thins placed flat against the car seat don't interfere with the pedals.
A bad idea. An item in the footwell can move unexpectedly and get lodged under the brake pedal.

Back