20" Imac on the plane

Correct.!! If nobody checks your luggage here in BA (green light), then no problem anyway. But if they stop you, just produce the document, and they've got no legal recourse to dispute your claim that you will be taking it back with you. It's a win-win. Make sure you have enough time to locate the customs officials at Heathrow. You may need to walk a long way. They may be situated BEFORE ENTERING the gates and restricted areas.
Cheers, Joe

Customs is not your problem. Damage & theft are your problem. People don't steal clothes because they are hard to sell & they won't get any money for used clothes even if they are designer. They will make money selling used laptops. Beyond that, I see a very high risk of it getting damaged. Wrapping it in clothes is not a good idea. It is the pressure the clothes pressing on it that could also damage the screen. Do you have the original packing box & Styrofoam?

Another thought - I have *never* had my carry-on bag checked for weight limits. If it will (and it sounds like yes) fit in your carry-on, just put it in there. I doubt anyone will comment on the weight.

This reply might be too late but I brought my 20" imac last year. I bought an ilugger bag (designed to carry an imac) and carried it on. It fit into the overhead bin with no problem. I didn't get asked anything about it except... is it new? I said no and they didn't bother to check. And I would say checking an imac is a pretty bad idea... they aren't designed to travel (laptops are much hardier and I wouldn't check my laptop). SO I hope this helps and I hope your computer safely makes it to Argentina and through customs!

And in case anyone is interested.... (it also works for carrying small flat screen tvs or computer monitors)

i lugger
http://www.ilugger.com/page/detail.cfm?page=imac-carrying-case

Thanks for all the info.

I will try and get baggage contents / travel insurance for a few days to cover the flight before I leave and put the Imac- in a bubble wrap and clothes around it, in a box then in a suitcase, will see Customs at Heathrow before I leave. I won't get more than 7-800 USD if I sold the computer here, so probably not a huge deal. TAM has a strict 5kg hand luggage policy and it is imposed as far as I know. Airline may pay some money towards the total contents of luggage and better if I get insurance.

I am leaving London on 29 March.

Just an update:

I got here yesterday with the Imac in good condition. Customs didn't seem to care.
But what the heck is this 15.60 peso ATM fee per withdrawal!

Oh I quite like Buenos Aires so far.

anatolie said:
Just an update:

I got here yesterday with the Imac in good condition. Customs didn't seem to care.
But what the heck is this 15.60 peso ATM fee per withdrawal!

Oh I quite like Buenos Aires so far.

So? Did you put in your luggage or carry it on?

In luggage, locked it - wasn't opened... asked Customs in London, they told me not to worry about it, got travel insurance for a couple of days as well.

The suitcase that had the Imac weighed about 32kg, guess it was too heavy to throw around : ) I also gott a Samsung R580 before I left in case Imac doesn't make it here in one piece as they cost twice as much here, might sell one of them at some stage.

anatolie said:
In luggage, locked it - wasn't opened... asked Customs in London, they told me not to worry about it, got travel insurance for a couple of days as well.

The suitcase that had the Imac weighed about 32kg, guess it was too heavy to throw around : ) I also gott a Samsung R580 before I left in case Imac doesn't make it here in one piece as they cost twice as much here, might sell one of them at some stage.

Fantastic!!! As you know I would never ever have thought it would arrive safely like that. I'm so glad it worked out though!
Welcome to BA!!!

that is great news!

Yesterday husband came back from the US together with his argentine socio, this guy had stuffed his suitcase full of electronics, (laptop, xbox, ipods,...) and was counting on his gringo looks to pass. (that's how he said it)

Turned out they are working in Ezeiza, the arrival is not in the old building next the the 'normal' one. There are only few Xray machines, and they pick you out if your luggage must go through. They could just pass next to the machines...

Unfortunately I have no idea how long this situation will last...

Back