20% Surcharge For Travel

I agree Mike, although I actually reckon it will be more interesting to see what happens after the elections *shudder*.

Blue rate is up around 10% in two days. I hear people attributing it to temporary demand prior to semana santa + new AFIP regs. Sounds exactly like the predictions of the blue heading back down to 7, 6.5 after the vacation season here due to "seasonal demand."

I'm sure the gov't will do everything in their power to keep this economy together and not devalue the currency before the October elections. Should be interesting to see what happens between then and now.

The currency is already devalued. The economy is only held together by bubblegum (and soja).

@trennod - I agree, it will be far more interesting after the election. I heard reports that the gov't has enough cash to get through 2013, but in 2014 they may not. Not sure how true that is...

@LostinBA - Your right, the free market has devalued the currency, but I was referring to an official devaluation which would still have a big effect on the economy, especially for large foreign investors, who receive 5 pesos per dollar vs 8 pesos for money they bring into the country. i.e. The recent pull out of Vale.

Yesterday I bought an airline ticket in cash pesos from EZE to CDG (Paris) at the air france office. I paid the flight cost + us$50 (at the official exchange) fee for paying at the office. I walked to the bank and paid by direct bank deposit i.e. I paid cash into the Air France account) The chap that served me said about this new 20% and that he had no idea what would happen. Potentially at the airport AFIP could ask me to pay the 20% before boarding the plane. Travelling on a foreign passport I find it highly unlikely that they will even think to question me and if they do the normal "no hablo espanol" will work as well as it always does. Therefore I did not pay this additional tax and I believe it is unlikely I will. I suspect though that in the near future they will toughen this up and all agencies will be forced to charge it directly at point of sale. Make your purchases before they do.

The currency is already devalued. The economy is only held together by bubblegum (and soja).

Do not count too much on soja for this year. While the international price is holding quite well, the first estimates show that the soja (and maize) harvest will be significantly lower this year in Argentina...

I think we can be confident that the government will continue to make things up as it goes along. That's universal in Argentine politics, but this government seems to have turned it into performance art.

@trennod - I agree, it will be far more interesting after the election. I heard reports that the gov't has enough cash to get through 2013, but in 2014 they may not. Not sure how true that is...

@LostinBA - Your right, the free market has devalued the currency, but I was referring to an official devaluation which would still have a big effect on the economy, especially for large foreign investors, who receive 5 pesos per dollar vs 8 pesos for money they bring into the country. i.e. The recent pull out of Vale.

How long will the large institutional investors tolersate this before deciding on greener pastures for their investment?

I'm no economist but it seems so many people are missing the point maybe for all the noise and smokescreen put up by the current dickheadtatorship. If the market were allowed to determine the value of the peso we wouldn't have all this nonsense and restrictions. It would be priced someplace between the official and blue and AFIP could get on with doing what they should be doing. Things would just return to normal...am I incorrect? Please won't some brilliant soul out there let me understand the fallacy of this belief??!

dickheadtatorship © all right reserved 2013.

If they declare free for all and and lift all restrictions on dollar purchases.... it would be a disaster, chaos all peso deposits would vanish from banks and mattresses would be inflated with dollars, The dollar equilibrium price is over the current value! IMO Perhaps $15!! At some point the demand would drop and stabilize the price. However in the short term the price may drop for a while

Its a defacto devaluation like 2001? may get to the ratio in Venezuela 1:4 gap?

If the blue dolar has shot up to 8,7 why is dolarblue.net still showing 8,27?

Back