$200 Limit Now Includes Card Payments

You buy pesos from WU on your AR debit card at 130, then you buy stuff in the states at 90. I can't believe I didn't put this together before now.

You buy pesos from WU on your AR debit card at 130, then you buy stuff in the states at 90. I can't believe I didn't put this together before now.
I'm sorry I'm kinda slow, I don't understand this system, care to elaborate? Thanks

Open an account on western union. Transfer money from the USA to Arg, you get approx the ccl dollar rate at ~130ars/usd. Then if you are in the states (or on your Amazon account from Argentina) you an use your Arg debit card for purchases, the conversion from ars/usd will be the solidarity dollar at approx 110 or so. So basically you've just gotten a ~20% discount on your stuff.

Arg has about 6 dollar conversion rates. Does it make sense? No. Does it allow the government to play games, yes. So for now is one of the advantages of their poorly thought out games. Good for people with accounts in both countries, bad for Arg citizens without access...

The next stage would be to offer 10% discount on anything to friends where you buy/ship the item with your Arg debit card and they pay you the price minus 10% in usd in the USA.

You could make 10% on anything.

Open an account on western union. Transfer money from the USA to Arg, you get approx the ccl dollar rate at ~130ars/usd. Then if you are in the states (or on your Amazon account from Argentina) you an use your Arg debit card for purchases, the conversion from ars/usd will be the solidarity dollar at approx 110 or so. So basically you've just gotten a ~20% discount on your stuff.

Arg has about 6 dollar conversion rates. Does it make sense? No. Does it allow the government to play games, yes. So for now is one of the advantages of their poorly thought out games. Good for people with accounts in both countries, bad for Arg citizens without access...
I did this for 3 months. Yes you’d save 20%. But this is over now that you are charged 130 pesos per every dollar spent which is more or less what you get from wu/blue rate. So the arbitrage has closed.

I did this for 3 months. Yes you’d save 20%. But this is over now that you are charged 130 pesos per every dollar spent which is more or less what you get from wu/blue rate. So the arbitrage has closed.

Yeah I missed this opportunity. Oh well I'll wait until the next monetary rate game. There will be another.

I've been doing this for the past 6 months or so as well (in Europe) - using my Argentine credit cards and getting the "discount," and it's all perfectly legal. It's not the first time this happens, as I remember this being the same at one point during the previous cepo, in 2013 or so.

Not sure if it's due to the euro getting stronger at one point or because I've been using credit rather than debit cards, but in my case the discount has generally been a bit higher, 25 to 30% most months. At the moment, the contado con liqui / WU rate seems to be going up again and even with the new 65% tax, the difference is now already 10%. Definitely still worth it to use your Argie cards abroad.

I've been doing this for the past 6 months or so as well (in Europe) - using my Argentine credit cards and getting the "discount," and it's all perfectly legal. It's not the first time this happens, as I remember this being the same at one point during the previous cepo, in 2013 or so.

Not sure if it's due to the euro getting stronger at one point or because I've been using credit rather than debit cards, but in my case the discount has generally been a bit higher, 25 to 30% most months. At the moment, the contado con liqui / WU rate seems to be going up again and even with the new 65% tax, the difference is now already 10%. Definitely still worth it to use your Argie cards abroad.

Hmmm, I wound't bother at the current rate. Even at ~10% I'd much rather use my US credit card, get the points and all the protections and perks that come with that, as oppose to using an ARG debit card. Dealing with moving money thru WU and the exchange rate (fluctuation) risk. Now a 20-30% off is a different story. If it goes back to being that much, sure.

Hmmm, I wound't bother at the current rate. Even at ~10% I'd much rather use my US credit card, get the points and all the protections and perks that come with that, as oppose to using an ARG debit card. Dealing with moving money thru WU and the exchange rate (fluctuation) risk. Now a 20-30% off is a different story. If it goes back to being that much, sure.

Yup, you're right that that probably makes more sense in the US. European cards unfortunately don't have points, protections and perks :D so it's still worth a shot.

Today for funsies I bought a coffee tool from amazon in the states with my arg debit card. The total was $21.64usd.

My arg account reflected:
debito Tarj BA: -1709.56
Impuesto Pais: -490.72
Perception RG: -572.51 <---- Don't know what this is...

For a total of 2772.79ARS with final exchange rate of 128.13ars/1usd

Back