30 Days To Leave -- My Result Of Trying To Get Citizenship

la_guachita

Registered
I went to migracions to get a piece of paper they had from when I did my two-year residency that the secretary in the juzgado said I needed for my citizenship (even though online it doesn't say that I need it: http://www.pjn.gov.ar)

Instead of giving me the original document I needed that they had in my file, they tried to give me a notice that I had 30 days to leave. I said I was going to make a phone call and left.

Today they tried to deliver it to my house but, erm, luckily I wasn't here.

For some background, I had two year residency which I processed on my own in 2004. The problem came when I tried to renew the residency after two years. They had made the process more difficult by that point and kept asking for more and more things that they didn't ask for the first time around. They wanted a copy of my parents marriage certificate and my dad's birth certificate, which I had to eat some humble pie to get from my father as we had been estranged for 12 years at that point, but I got it.

Then they wanted a copy of my mother's birth certificate but as I recall Canada doesn't send them overseas, so I couldn't get it. She is long dead, grandparents too and I didn't have anyone in the small town in nowhere Canada to get it and send it to me, and if I recall correctly it has to be a family member that requests it.

The irony is that I would just as soon leave. But as discussed in another thread, I am involved in a lawsuit involving my property and due to that cannot sell or rent my apartment until it is resolved, and meanwhile it is causing me financial and health difficulties.

It would have been better to just fly under the radar and never do the residency because being in the system is what is causing problems. I would say there is a crackdown but I am the only person I know of who they are trying to throw out, and I know people who are permatourists from all over the world and even few African refugees that got here by sneaking onto cargo boats.

Time to pay a coima I say!

Or have a kid here and get residency that way.

Are you going for permanent resident or the full citizenship?
When I did my perm res I don't recall my parents details entering the equation, but then that was 2006.

Citizenship. Yes, I was trying to renew in 2006 as well, I think perhaps they were trying to make it difficult for me in order to get bribes. I don't even know how to bribe really and the dishonesty here is the number one thing that bothers me about Argentina. When I lived in India during university I had to give out baksheesh a few times but it is requested in a more obvious manner that I find easier to decodify.

As mentioned above I've been destroyed financially here and am involved in a lawsuit concerning that so no $3000 handy at the moment. I've recommended him to others though. And anyway I qualify for citizenship just that they are making it difficult for me, just like in immigrations. Like they say my apostille is no good, I go to the apostille office and they tell me it's fine, I go back to the juzgado and they tell me it's no good again, so I hit a wall.

As mentioned above I've been destroyed financially here and am involved in a lawsuit concerning that so no $3000 handy at the moment. I've recommended him to others though. And anyway I qualify for citizenship just that they are making it difficult for me, just like in immigrations. Like they say my apostille is no good, I go to the apostille office and they tell me it's fine, I go back to the juzgado and they tell me it's no good again, so I hit a wall.

I had no idea how much were his fees. $3000 US covers the whole process? Maybe you could ask him to do something to stop the deportation procedures, negotiate a payment for that alone and proceed with citizenship once your lawsuit pays off (I'm assuming you're trying to collect money). That is if you even want the citizenship. I'm no expert but if they gave you a 30 day notice you will have to fly under the radar after that and they already have your home address. I'm not trying to scare you, I wish there was something that could be done that wouldn't require spending money. The thing is you need (want?) to be here and if you were to show up in court after the 30 day notice (regarding the lawsuit), maybe someone could give you a hard time?

It's so unfair to be treated that way... I'm real sorry. I just suggest you find at least a temporary solution.

sorry to hear all these. Cheer up: you're not the only one; the other day I was seeing a flat of an expat who dropped the price by 25% just to sell it as soon as possible and be gone before the 30 days expires. I wander if he gets his flat sold, it's in bad condition.

Im so sorry to hear that! I'm no expert, but is it possible that they just saw your status was irregular and they weren't aware that you were in the process of getting citizenship? It's been my understanding that they accept an irregular status as long as you are en tramite. I hope you can get everything figured out!!

hey guachita what do you need?i might know somebody as far as bribes i got a degree on that lol .is it citizenship or prem res ?

Hey Peony no I told them I was doing citizenship and even cited article 20 of the constitution, since the whiz kids in migrations have no idea that going direct for citizenship is possible. When I refused to sign for the 30-day notice they acted like they were going to detain me on the spot and then just said 'well then it's going to be worse if you don't take this!' Luckily the kid sort of allowed me to sneak away without taking the notice.

Migrations doesn't recognize the [background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]citizenship process, they don't want people doing it that way b/c they'll lose out on money I suppose. The two offices dont work together at all. Honestly I think they purposely put me in legal limbo on purpose by sending me to immigration to get that document I needed, because I don't think it was really necessary following the requirements listed on the website above. The secretary in the juzgado just wants to give me a hard time. She would not let me make a copy of the page that has my numero de expediente, so I don't really have any physical proof anyway. I politely told her that by law she has to let me make a copy and she still didn't let me. My friend has the same judge and thus the same secretary. Her case is being handled by CR and she says they're very nice to her! [/background]

Back