31 Years Ago Today The Belgrano Was Sunk.

camberiu

Registered

31 one years ago today, the ARA Gral. Belgrano was sunk by the Royal Navy's submarine HMS Conqueror. Over 320 Argentine sailors died on the ice cold waters of the South Atlantic, paying with their lives for the folly of the Argentinians generals.

If this ship wasnt sunk, the numbers of dead argentinians in the war would have been almost the same than the UKs. With this tragedy, Argentineans deaths doubled the Uk.

(If Im not wrrong the ship belonged to the US in WWII)

If this ship wasnt sunk, the numbers of dead argentinians in the war would have been almost the same than the UKs. With this tragedy, Argentineans deaths doubled the Uk.

(If Im not wrrong the ship belonged to the US in WWII)

Thats a bit like saying if Bayern didn't score all those goals they would have drawn with Real Madrid.

The biggest [background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]tragedy is that Argentina invaded the islands and caused the death of so many. [/background]

Yes, the ARA Belgrano was originally a US ship - the USS Phoenix, Light Cruiser Class I believe.

Contrary to what some people want to think the Belgrano was a legitimate military target. Argentina's Naval command,and the Captain of the Belgrano, later agreed. It should have been sunk. Just like the HMS Sheffield, HMS Coventry, the Atlantic Conveyer, the RFA Sir Galahad, and the HMS Fearless.

Most of us who go / have gone to war operate from a code of honor. We have the highest respect for our adversaries who conduct themselves likewise. We understand that the other guy didn't pick the war, either. They went also out of a sense of duty to their country and their people.

RIP, gentlemen.

Yes, the ARA Belgrano was originally a US ship - the USS Phoenix, Light Cruiser Class I believe.

Contrary to what some people want to think the Belgrano was a legitimate military target. Argentina's Naval command,and the Captain of the Belgrano, later agreed. It should have been sunk. Just like the HMS Sheffield, HMS Coventry, the Atlantic Conveyer, the RFA Sir Galahad, and the HMS Fearless.

Most of us who go / have gone to war operate from a code of honor. We have the highest respect for our adversaries who conduct themselves likewise. We understand that the other guy didn't pick the war, either. They went also out of a sense of duty to their country and their people. RIP, gentlemen.
h50766.jpg

Incidentally, she a was survivor of Pearl Harbor, along with another another USN hand-me-down, the ARA 9 de Julio (ex-USS Boise). Both were veterans (in their Argentine lives) of the Revolución Libertadora in 1955. The above image is the then-Phoenix getting underway during the attack on Pearl Harbor, with the West Virginia and Arizona on fire in the background.

Below is the Boise, aka 9 de Julio, which was decommissioned and scrapped in 1978. Courtesy Naval History and Heritage Command.

n89077.jpg

We had a very somber and dignified remembrance ceremony in my little maritime corner of the Pampas today. God rest their souls.

h50766.jpg

Incidentally, she a was survivor of Pearl Harbor, along with another another USN hand-me-down, the ARA 9 de Julio (ex-USS Boise). Both were veterans (in their Argentine lives) of the Revolución Libertadora in 1955. The above image is the then-Phoenix getting underway during the attack on Pearl Harbor, with the West Virginia and Arizona on fire in the background.

Below is the Boise, aka 9 de Julio, which was decommissioned and scrapped in 1978. Courtesy Naval History and Heritage Command.

n89077.jpg

We had a very somber and dignified remembrance ceremony in my little maritime corner of the Pampas today. God rest their souls.

As if "God" and "souls" were anything other than figments of the imagination.

Back