36 Hours In Buenos Aires By Way Of The New York Times...

The introduction was especially appropiate," No matter how soap opera-like its politics,or exaggerated its inflation,Argentina's capital never loses its charm". I would add,"If you have hard currency to spend"..If you only have "funny money" AR$,it's not quite as charming.Even more so if you want to enjoy the type of life described in the article.

The introduction was especially appropiate," No matter how soap opera-like its politics,or exaggerated its inflation,Argentina's capital never loses its charm". I would add,"If you have hard currency to spend"..If you only have "funny money" AR$,it's not quite as charming.Even more so if you want to enjoy the type of life described in the article.

this is true- however, it is unlikely that people living in Moron who earn 5000 pesos a month will be reading the travel section of the New York Times.
Even in the USA, the New York Times is aimed at the upper class- it frequently discusses hotel rooms that are $500 a night, $300 meals, and if you look at the real estate section, they have articles every week such as "What $1.5 million dollars will buy you" in three different cities.

The NYT is NOT going to show you a Buenos Aires for people who live on $20 US a day. This is a tourism article for people who will spend $5000 US to come for two weeks, including airfare.

this is true- however, it is unlikely that people living in Moron who earn 5000 pesos a month will be reading the travel section of the New York Times.
Even in the USA, the New York Times is aimed at the upper class- it frequently discusses hotel rooms that are $500 a night, $300 meals, and if you look at the real estate section, they have articles every week such as "What $1.5 million dollars will buy you" in three different cities.

The NYT is NOT going to show you a Buenos Aires for people who live on $20 US a day. This is a tourism article for people who will spend $5000 US to come for two weeks, including airfare.
The video did not show the real Buenos Aires , what's it like for an average person

ceviche: As a former resident of Staten Island and a native New Yorker,I can tell you it's a very pleasant place to live and work.Now if you had said," Manhattan or Woodhaven,Queens "maybe I would have agreed with you. Let's see how many ex Queens residents we have reading this forum.

The video only had the effect of making me really hungry and my mouth started watering.
Apart from that, it should have been called Where to Eat in Buenos Aires.
Wasn't earthy enough for me.

ceviche: As a former resident of Staten Island and a native New Yorker,I can tell you it's a very pleasant place to live and work.Now if you had said," Manhattan or Woodhaven,Queens "maybe I would have agreed with you. Let's see how many ex Queens residents we have reading this forum.

The New York Times HAS been writing about Staten Island, as well as Buenos Aires.
They had a big article a while ago about the drug addiction problem there-
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/05/nyregion/heroins-new-hometown-in-staten-island.html?_r=0
and lots of articles about the police choking Eric Garner to death.

not much about the restaurants and dance clubs, though.

Again- the average reader of this is somebody who will buy a $2500 round trip ticket at Christmas time, stay in a 200 dollar a night hotel like Home, in Palermo, and take taxis everywhere.
Of course its not about real ordinary day to day life for working Argentineans, just like the NYT is almost never about ordinary day to day life for working New Yorkers.

A comparison between Staten Island and Queens is irrelevant. No tourist would come to New York to visit either Queens or Staten Island.

Silvie: I meant it as a joke. However,if you are Argentine or Colombian with family in Jackson Heights or Rego Park you very well might.These 2 areas of Queens have the largest resident Latin population in the U.S. from the 2 aforementioned countries.

Silvie: I meant it as a joke. However,if you are Argentine or Colombian with family in Jackson Heights or Rego Park you very well might.These 2 areas of Queens have the largest resident Latin population in the U.S. from the 2 aforementioned countries.

Average tourist in NY is not visiting relatives. Just like average tourist in BA is not visiting relatives.

Back