5 Most Common Excuses Argentines Like To Use

Esta lloviendo.

If you have invited 10 people to dinner and you look out your window and it is raining, assume that maximum 3 will come.

My SIL tried to give me that after 3 hours of cooking and 30 minutes from the set hour. I made sure she understood she had to come. She arrived more than one hour late, empty handed.
Hey, that was also the last time she came here. Let's keep it this way forever!

Don't forget the most common one: "tengo un cumpleaños".

I reality it seems they have one those just about everyday in reality. When we lived there I as getting so tired of those it was like every week or two times a week.But my wife's family in total was over 300 people.

Best excuse I ever heard was not in BA but in LA. As a professor, I had assigned a paper to my class and gave a firm date for it to be delivered to me. A day after the deadline, a student came to see me and told me his paper was in his computer at work, and he was unable to retrieve it. The excuse: he had gotten laid off two days earlier. I had to give him credit; the excuse was too original, and sadly, perhaps very true!

The one that pisses me off is when they say "well, we made the plan but then never spoke of it again, so I assumed it wasn't happening" to explain why they made new plans on the night they said they'd come to the dinner party I cooked for taking their headcount into consideration, this has also happened to my husband with a work meeting. Apparently making the plan (with a set date and time) a week in advance is too much, I must also walk this girl by the hand to the event to make she makes it, after reminding her every day that YES, the plan is STILL on.

The one that pisses me off is when they say "well, we made the plan but then never spoke of it again, so I assumed it wasn't happening"

Well, to be honest, here like also in my home country, we utter a number of courtesy exp<b></b>ressions who shouldn't be taken literally.

Some examples are:
  • "Come by whenever you want" - WHAT IT ACTUALLY MEANS: "You are welcome" WHAT IT DOESN'T MEAN: Ring my bell on Sunday afternoon for a coffee / Pop up in front of my door at 1 AM because he left you / Show up for lunch uninvited
  • "We should plan a dinner out together" - WHAT IT ACTUALLY MEANS: "Goodbye" WHAT IT DOESN'T MEAN: Call me tomorrow to pick up a date and a place
  • "Consider this your home" - WHAT IT ACTUALLY MEANS: "Welcome into my house" WHAT IT DOESN'T MEAN: Take off your shoes and lie on the sofa while I cook for you
  • "It was so fun today, I can't wait to repeat this. Maybe next Saturday if it works out..." - WHAT IT ACTUALLY MEANS: "Goodbye, it was fun" WHAT IT DOESN'T MEAN: Mark in your schedule that on next Saturday we will be going out together again

So who throws the invitation has to repeat it twice to make sure it is an actual invitation and not just some polite talking.

Well, to be honest, here like also in my home country, we utter a number of courtesy exp<b></b>ressions who shouldn't be taken literally.

Some examples are:
  • "Come by whenever you want" - WHAT IT ACTUALLY MEANS: "You are welcome" WHAT IT DOESN'T MEAN: Ring my bell on Sunday afternoon for a coffee / Pop up in front of my door at 1 AM because he left you / Show up for lunch uninvited
  • "We should plan a dinner out together" - WHAT IT ACTUALLY MEANS: "Goodbye" WHAT IT DOESN'T MEAN: Call me tomorrow to pick up a date and a place
  • "Consider this your home" - WHAT IT ACTUALLY MEANS: "Welcome into my house" WHAT IT DOESN'T MEAN: Take off your shoes and lie on the sofa while I cook for you
  • "It was so fun today, I can't wait to repeat this. Maybe next Saturday if it works out..." - WHAT IT ACTUALLY MEANS: "Goodbye, it was fun" WHAT IT DOESN'T MEAN: Mark in your schedule that on next Saturday we will be going out together again
So who throws the invitation has to repeat it twice to make sure it is an actual invitation and not just some polite talking.

I understand a vague "let's meet for coffee" isn't literal, but a "I'm cooking dinner on Friday, come over at 9" that is set in stone, especially when the other person responds yes, that they'll come. That's not "polite talking". That's a commitment.

Classic ones from California 1 Can't make it today, my glands are swollen, 2,i have no clean clothes , i got locked out of the laundry room, 3 I won't make it today, i was arrested last night for no reason :)
Haha we must run indifferent crowds! I'd get "something came up" my babysitter didn't show" "in law is sick" or "car broke down" "had to take my mother/kid to the......."

Back