8 Things Americans Can Learn From Buenos Aires

To be honest its a lot of these things could be said about a lot of Europe too.

http://youtu.be/QPKKQnijnsM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QPKKQnijnsM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Some things I have learned from living in Argentina.

1. I have learned to be infinitely more patient in general. You will not get everything in life immediately.
2. I have learned how to be more efficient with my time (the part I control), because after all your time that gets wasted in Argentina, you manage what you do have better.
3. I have learned how to value friendships more.
4. I have learned how to be better on the phone (but I still hate the phone).
5. I learned how to cook better, but that might just be my wife's guidance.
6. I learned how to fix a lot of stuff on my own, since it's so hard to find good help
7. I learned how to be a much more aggressive and self defensive driver.
8. I learned that I took a lot of things for granted I had before, in general.

Some things I have learned from living in Argentina.

1. I have learned to be infinitely more patient in general. You will not get everything in life immediately.
2. I have learned how to be more efficient with my time (the part I control), because after all your time that gets wasted in Argentina, you manage what you do have better.
3. I have learned how to value friendships more.
4. I have learned how to be better on the phone (but I still hate the phone).
5. I learned how to cook better, but that might just be my wife's guidance.
6. I learned how to fix a lot of stuff on my own, since it's so hard to find good help
7. I learned how to be a much more aggressive and self defensive driver.
8. I learned that I took a lot of things for granted I had before, in general.
Nice post. When a country forces you to submit to a more simple life (at least materialistically), it is important to also understand the immaterial benefits that such a reality may have. And you do.

I thought I would follow up and put 8 things that Argentina can learn from my own country, the USA (that weren't already listed):

1. Learn the golden rule: treat others as you wish to be treated (this seems to also be going out of style in my own country lately, but I think it used to be very important).
2. Sometimes, flying by the seat of your pants just does not work. A little planning and foresight can really make things go much more smoothly (as opposed to 'lo atamos con alambre')
3. Be kind to the elderly. They might be grumpy, surly, and mean, but I would be too if I had lived in Argentina my entire life.
4. Teamwork is very powerful. If you learn to do it right, what you produce will be much better.
5. The public space belongs to everyone. Have some pride in it for goodness sake!
6. Bureaucracy is a waste of time and distasteful. And it does not help the system be any more honest than it already is.
7. Trying something new and breaking your traditions can truly be an enlightening experience.
8. Objective moral values really do exist.

Lasting Construction?? A third of the jobs I do involve repairing things done 10 to fifteen years ago, if not less...
My general sense of things is that there are really quite a lot of very old homes here, more common than what I experienced in the US, especially in your basic working-man's home. The brick and concrete general basic style here outlasts, in my opinion, the common construction style of wood in the US. And regarding new homes needing repair - ever heard of toxic mold? New construction in the US is not faring so well either.

Back