90 day visa EXTENSION?

NOLAchef

Registered
Hola gente-

I was told by my spanish teacher that I can apply for a "one time" 90 day visa extension as opposed to hopping over to Uruguay. She said the office is in Retiro close to Busque bus and that I wont need an appointment.

Do they issue this to everyone, or do I need some kind of "excuse" as to why i'm extending?

Who else has done this? If you could share your experiences I'd be super thankful!

Gracias

Liza aka NOLAchef

www.NOLAchef.wordpress.com

Don't do it. It is a 3 hour wait in the 7th ring of bureaucratic hell. And then they might not even give it to you. An anecdote:

These worthless migraciones workers had some internalized quota system where if they hit the number chime turn thingy every fifteen minutes then they were doing well. Well turns out a lot of the numbers either were of people who stepped out or people who got multiples or maybe someone who realized they were in the wrong place. So instead of going A23... beat... A24, they would say A23, then take a 10 minute break. I saw one guy successfully avoid helping anyone for 2 hours through this gambit.

Go eat lunch in Uruguay, it costs a little more, but one's sanity is worth it.

Personally, I'd rather spend my $300 playing on the Buquebus than sitting in some crowded bureaucratic office for hours on end.

Hia

Get a Bus to Retiro train station, you can walk from there it takes ten minutes, just be careful to look on the map and take the right crossings. Basically once you are on the right path follow everyone else. Otherwise take a taxi.

You do not have to give a reason it is a legitamate extention to the visa.

I would recommend going down there (OK with a book, catch up on your Spanish verbs).

I was down there the other day to ask about my DNI. To ask what would happen if I left the country for over two years. I am kind of used to it in immigration and my Spanish is better than average, this does make it easier and I found them very helpful. The guy, Daniel, printed off a copy of the law. If I leave the country then my DNI permanent should be removed, unless I am outside the country to in some way help Argentina (I cannot see that happening). This may be news to someone. So it is not permanente afterall, downer.

Good luck..you can do it!

Chaz said:
If I leave the country then my DNI permanent should be removed, unless I am outside the country to in some way help Argentina (I cannot see that happening). This may be news to someone. So it is not permanente afterall, downer.

Hey Chaz, can you elaborate on this at all? How did you qualify for permanent residency (wondering under what classification it can/will be revoked after an extended absence from Argentina)?

You have to be in the country for one day out of every 2 years to keep it. However if you have it through an Argentine spouse they will probably never take it from you.

syngirl said:
You have to be in the country for one day out of every 2 years to keep it. However if you have it through an Argentine spouse they will probably never take it from you.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but do you know about if you got permanent status via a relative? My guess is that it might take a little extra paperwork, but it would never be truly revoked...

NOLAchef said:
Hola gente-

I was told by my spanish teacher that I can apply for a "one time" 90 day visa extension as opposed to hopping over to Uruguay. She said the office is in Retiro close to Busque bus and that I wont need an appointment.

Do they issue this to everyone, or do I need some kind of "excuse" as to why i'm extending?

Who else has done this? If you could share your experiences I'd be super thankful!

Gracias

Liza aka NOLAchef

www.NOLAchef.wordpress.com

well yes you can but my ex BF preferred not do so ´cause you get it only once and then you have to leave the country.
We used to travel to Uruguay every three months.

In response to the question above. I asked in immigration about the spouse link (as I am married to an Argentine). By law they can take away your DNI Permanente if you are out of the country for more than two years. It makes no difference how you got your DNI. He showed and photocopied a copy of the law for me. How the law is adhered to I do not know.
Thats me done on the topic.

As you said: "By law they can take away your DNI Permanente"

they CAN, but they wouldn't.
In the worst case you can came back or do some 'tramite' at the argentinas embassy?

Back