90 day visa

clucking said:
This thread is a bit old, but I came in on May 21 and my flight out (back to the US) is on August 20. There are 91 days in between these two dates. Am I ok or do I need to pay the US$250 fee to bump up my flight one day to August 20th?

If your flight out is on August 20th why would you want to change it to August 20th?

Is it possible that your flight out is on the 21st?

I think that if your departure date is numerically the same as your arrival they won't make you pay the fine.

If they say you must pay, I'd strongly object and tell them you were told your dates were acceptable by the airline and by the consulate in your home country before you ever bought the ticket! You have nothing to lose and might save $300 pesos. I certainly wouldn't pay $250 dollars to change the ticket!

lol

Ill pretend I didn't know this.

syngirl said:
Legally in most countries one is only allowed to stay for a maximum of 180 days out of every 365 days on a tourist visa -- ie you're only allowed a maximum of 6 months out of every year. As far as I know there are no "180 day visas", there are only 90 day visas, that can be extended once for a total of 180 days. Then technically you are supposed to exit the country and not enter again until another 180 days have passed. In places such as the UK you get a bunch of stamps in your passport specifically stating the dates you entered and if you try and enter again they will turn you away. Although Argentina stamps your passports, so far I've never come across an agent that has enforced this.

After 180 days your country as well as the other country that you have been staying technically can argue your residency status. ie "Snowbirds" -- Canadians that head to Florida for the winter -- know that they've only got a max of 180 days in the States or they may have to pay taxes as well as have problems the next times they head back in. Also in terms of trying to switch to non-resident status for your home country (and thereby save some taxes) the 180 day rule really has a large say in the opposite direction -- ie you cannot stay more than 180 days in your home country if you have non-Resident status, or you'll suffer by way of your taxation.

Argentina in the past has never cared too much about all this. If Argentina operated the way Canadian or American Border Services act there wouldn't be nearly as many foreigners down here. The official rules in Argentina are the same as other countries, it's just that the border agents don't enforce them. However, perhaps these increases in visa fees are signs that that may change -- but really I doubt it -- I think what's happened is that they've finally clued in that it's a good money-making scheme so more than likely they will allow the continued abuse of the 90 day visas as long as people are happy to pay increased penalties.

clucking said:
This thread is a bit old, but I came in on May 21 and my flight out (back to the US) is on August 20. There are 91 days in between these two dates. Am I ok or do I need to pay the US$250 fee to bump up my flight one day to August 20th? I am, by the way, living here on a tourist visa for hopefully the next 2 years, so I don't want to get on the bad side of migraciones.

Lol,
:rolleyes:

I would just pay the 300 peso fine for overstaying as long as you don't plan on overstaying again in the near future. I've heard it's three strikes you're out.

Please Alex don't scare the entry source of foreign exchange to the country...;)

AlexfromLA said:
Lol,

Seriously. :rolleyes:

Deadly serious it can produce a stampede of perm-tourist and their dollars to go abroad, the country economy could collapse completely in very short time, we can't afford nor we want for that to happen...right? :(

When we came back to BA on Buquebus last weekend after our vacation in Uruguay, the immigration officer asked us if we had residential papers for Argentina. It seemed to be no big deal that we didn't, but it appears they are paying closer attention to all those visa stamps.

If I may I would like some info... I am a Canadian citizen and have been residing in Argentina since April 8 2009 and have been renewing my visa at immigration and doing the Colonia thing in between the immigration renewals. But today entering Argentina ..was not given the 90 days but rather said something about residencia and that was it... so my question is why was I not given the 90 Day Stamp on my passport... Was it because i entered colonia before my last immigration visa was expired or because i have used this method too many times and there is a new limit to how many times i may use this method . My last immigration renewal will expire on the 27th of august and I entered colonia on the 23rd yesterday and reentered Argentina on the 24th... If this is the reason then what are my options... would going to immigration here in Argentina help or could I just reenter colonia again on the 27th... and hope for a new stamp of 90 days... I have entered colonia 3 times in all and renewed my visa at immigration 3 times in alll .Thank you....

I don't understand ?

You didn't get any stamp ? There is nothing on your passport saying you legally entered Argentina ?

Please clarify.

rockinkaj said:
If I may I would like some info... I am a Canadian citizen and have been residing in Argentina since April 8 2009 and have been renewing my visa at immigration and doing the Colonia thing in between the immigration renewals. But today entering Argentina ..was not given the 90 days but rather said something about residencia and that was it... so my question is why was I not given the 90 Day Stamp on my passport... Was it because i entered colonia before my last immigration visa was expired or because i have used this method too many times and there is a new limit to how many times i may use this method . My last immigration renewal will expire on the 27th of august and I entered colonia on the 23rd yesterday and reentered Argentina on the 24th... If this is the reason then what are my options... would going to immigration here in Argentina help or could I just reenter colonia again on the 27th... and hope for a new stamp of 90 days... I have entered colonia 3 times in all and renewed my visa at immigration 3 times in alll .Thank you....

Back