A friend bearing gifts.

soyyoandrew

Registered
Hola a todos. I just got a quick question. I have a friend coming in a few weeks and it couldn't be at a better time. My computer is about to die, my cell phone hates me and the iPad looks like something I can't live without. So I was gonna buy the whole kaboodle and have him bring it with his luggage. If I decide to get a regular computer, not a notebook ( I was thinking an iMac REFURBISHED) I was wondering if you think he is gonna have problems coming in through customs? I need to order the stuff sooner rather than later so if anyone could give me the lowdown that would be fantastic. I tried a search for what one could and couldn't bring in without problems but didn't find much. Two years ago I came in with two cameras, two mp3 and two laptops ( you know how your friends treat you like a packmule when you go back home) and I didnt have a single problem, but I am just worried about it, cuz 35% customs on an iMac is no joke.

Just get your friend to take it out of all it's packaging and there's nothing they can prove is there?- so leave the boxes at home and bring paper work in luggage going in hold or whatever.

if it was me i would go for a laptop... easier to sell here also if you want to later on, and to travel with etc.. plus not so much for you friend to bring, and customs wont have any reason to suspect it isnt for him.

We just came in with an imac for a family member among other things. We did get stopped and they wanted a bribe in customs but I believe that is because I now have my residency and can´t claim I am a tourist. They basically said we can charge you or, you can help us out with a little cash.

We also kept it in the original packaging and just put the apple box in another cardboard one (which is really obvious) because we thought it would be safer to get it here without damage that way.

Beware of the airline workers in the U.S. too. A lady from American told us not to write fragile or, anything on the outer box because she said some workers she knows have the tendency to throw things that say fragile around a little because they get upset people try to move things that way instead of paying for shipping them.

Hey guys thanks for the info. I think if i get the iMac ill buy a carrying case with it. Or yes a Macbook Pro.

Back