A Good Restaurant In Ba? Yes, It's Possible!

When in Montevideo visit Man vs. Food resto on Williman 6xx St. supposed to be American Food

My son is visiting from Uruguay (as stated above) and we were laughing as I read your comments. He said if you think there isn't much variety here, you need to go to Uruguay for a week and when you come back to B.A. you'll thank your lucky stars that you live here--by comparison B. A. is the smorgasbord of variety.

I went to parrilla in Colonia (the one next to the mill) and was so unsatisfied that - for the first time in my life - made an official complaint to the manager of the restaurant. They told me they refund me some, but I didn't want their money. Still they gave me 25% refund (although it should have been more).... But I love Colonia, I'd love to live there, just not eat out.

I have to respectfully disagree with your son. I could easily think of a dozen excelent restaurantes in Uruguay and the selection and availibilty of ingredients available puts BA to shame.

BA is a big ass city. There are lots of good restaurants, you just need to know where to find them.

For example -

Hong Kong Style in Barrio Chino is a great Chinese restaurant - probably the best hot and sour soup I've ever had.
Casa Bar - amazing wings. To me on par with anywhere I've been to in the states. Just damn good.
Sarkis - So many great dishes. The grape leaves, hummus, pollo al fierto. All really good.
Marfa - Great lunch sandwiches. Polo Tom is amazing, as are the soup of the day options.
Don Julio - Always on point for the ojo de bife, and great mollejas.
Siamo nel Forno - great naples style pizza.

The list could go on and on and on. Yes there are a lot of shitty places that are somehow popular (e.g. club de milanesa - HORRIBLE), but just don't go there.

Stick to the known great places and BA can be a really great food city.

BA is a big ass city. There are lots of good restaurants, you just need to know where to find them.

For example -

Hong Kong Style in Barrio Chino is a great Chinese restaurant - probably the best hot and sour soup I've ever had.
Casa Bar - amazing wings. To me on par with anywhere I've been to in the states. Just damn good.
Sarkis - So many great dishes. The grape leaves, hummus, pollo al fierto. All really good.
Marfa - Great lunch sandwiches. Polo Tom is amazing, as are the soup of the day options.
Don Julio - Always on point for the ojo de bife, and great mollejas.
Siamo nel Forno - great naples style pizza.

The list could go on and on and on. Yes there are a lot of shitty places that are somehow popular (e.g. club de milanesa - HORRIBLE), but just don't go there.

Stick to the known great places and BA can be a really great food city.
And that is the truth in any big city.
Nancy

Someone mentioned

La Parolacia
Rigolleto
Sotto Voce?

Tried la Parolaccia once, and they undercooked my pasta badly, it was so "al dente" that it nearly broke my teeth. I went when the place was so full we had to wait for 45 minutes to get in, though. Might be good at a non-peak hour. I doubt I'll go back.

I come to Buenos Aires every 2-3 months to visit my girlfriend and she visits the UK as often. What I would say is this:

1) She doesn't like the pizza in England - I much prefer it to the pizza in Buenos Aires.
2) When I first came to Buenos Aires I was convinced that I would be faced with countless amazing steak restaurants - sadly this was not the case. There are some great places.
3) There are some great restaurants in BA and some extremely poor ones, Club Milanesa for example. My gf loves the place, I put up with it.
4) Mubai is an extremely good Indian restuarant - the best I've been to outside the UK/India.
5) If you travel to Pinamar, stop in some of the road side parillas about an hour before you get there. I had the best lamb in one that I've ever had.
6) Kansas serves great American - with a BA twist - food. I've been to America twice and don't intend to go back, perhaps this isn't what Americans would consider 'American' but I liked it.
7) In general she loves the food in the UK but misses 'her food' after a while when she's here.
8) In general I love the food in Argentina but miss the food I can get in England when I'm there - for example at Christmas time we had some great Turkey cooked on her father's parilla but I was eating it secretly wishing I had roast potatoes, roast veg etc.

The main observation I would have is that people from different sides of the world, or indeed neighbouring towns have different tastes - it's extremely arrogant to just claim "A good restaurant in BA, yes it's possible" - I hope that I never end up having a similar outlook on life that you do.

I come to Buenos Aires every 2-3 months to visit my girlfriend and she visits the UK as often. What I would say is this:

1) She doesn't like the pizza in England - I much prefer it to the pizza in Buenos Aires.
2) When I first came to Buenos Aires I was convinced that I would be faced with countless amazing steak restaurants - sadly this was not the case. There are some great places.
3) There are some great restaurants in BA and some extremely poor ones, Club Milanesa for example. My gf loves the place, I put up with it.
4) Mubai is an extremely good Indian restuarant - the best I've been to outside the UK/India.
5) If you travel to Pinamar, stop in some of the road side parillas about an hour before you get there. I had the best lamb in one that I've ever had.
6) Kansas serves great American - with a BA twist - food. I've been to America twice and don't intend to go back, perhaps this isn't what Americans would consider 'American' but I liked it.
7) In general she loves the food in the UK but misses 'her food' after a while when she's here.
8) In general I love the food in Argentina but miss the food I can get in England when I'm there - for example at Christmas time we had some great Turkey cooked on her father's parilla but I was eating it secretly wishing I had roast potatoes, roast veg etc.

The main observation I would have is that people from different sides of the world, or indeed neighbouring towns have different tastes - it's extremely arrogant to just claim "A good restaurant in BA, yes it's possible" - I hope that I never end up having a similar outlook on life that you do.

Frio, mate, you have just about - word for word - summed up the relationship between myself, my girlfriend (Argentinean) and food. The exception is point 4 - I have never been to that restaurant, but will try and check it out. I love Indian and have heard the place above Bangalore is good, but haven't visited it.

It is certainly subjective, my girl likes to think that Argentina has the best food in the world. That is fair enough, it's her home and her opinion and the only thing I retort with is; "Have you eaten food from every other part of the world?"

Being from Sydney, I like asian food and do miss that aspect of variety here in BA. I can't find any good Thai, there is some good Japanese, have only had Chinese once (it was good) and not eaten Indian here. Whereas, back home, it is quite easy to find these (what I believe to be) very decent genres of food (locals from each of these respective countries may think differently, I'm not sure).

My girlfriend tried a lot of Thai and Japanese food in Australia and loved it (She is still learning the difference between Japanese and Chinese *roll eyes*), however claimed to a visiting friend last week that BA had the best ice cream in the world. I chipped in with the idea that there's alot of ice cream to be tried all over the globe, whereas, upon tasting my friend loved the Freddos but quietly expressed the idea that perhaps Italy's ice cream was a bit tastier and not quite as sweet. The looks were as cold as the ice cream.

Same sort of thing with pizza, girlfriend loves it here. I think its OK, but perhaps a bit breadier and not tomatoey compared to what I'm used to.

But, yeah, it's subjective isn't it and dependant largely on what you're used to / what you've grown up with. Some people might think empanadas are the world's best food. I think they're tasty, I really like them, but it's meat in pastry, and I wouldn't claim them to be in my top 5 dishes in the world.

There are some really interesting restaurants in BA, but I feel that if just walking down the street and I don't feel like a milanessa, empanada or pizza the remaining restaurants' mean average is probably not what I am accustomed to.
But I was brought up in a cultural wasteland, Australia ;) - Luckily, our saving grace is that it is quite a multicultural place and people from everywhere have brought their wonderful food with them when moving to Australia.

Back