A New Yorker With A Few Questions

JamesMynd

Registered
Hi! I am looking into living here for three or more months. I have been traveling in Brazil and Uruguay for a few months and arrived a week ago. I am staying in Palermo and like it. I am interested in doing some writing and studying Spanish. My simple questions: 1. Crime? Even though I am from NYC (which has really changed!), I have heard many things about crime here, what are the recommendations, walking late at night etc.? I have rented a nice place for another two weeks but would like to rent a room in a flat with other people, any leads? What is your most important advice for living here? Thanks!

JamesMynd said:
Hi! I am looking into living here for three or more months. I have been traveling in Brazil and Uruguay for a few months and arrived a week ago. I am staying in Palermo and like it. I am interested in doing some writing and studying Spanish. My simple questions: 1. Crime? Even though I am from NYC (which has really changed!), I have heard many things about crime here, what are the recommendations, walking late at night etc.? I have rented a nice place for another two weeks but would like to rent a room in a flat with other people, any leads? What is your most important advice for living here? Thanks!

Avoid the pizza, it's terrible.

It's not as safe here as in NYC but take reasonable precautions and you should be alright. For example: NEVER EVER take your eyes off of anything (jacket, mobile phone, camera, etc.) when you are in public or it will disappear as if by magic. Thieves are quick and stealthy here (well, the thieves that don't just hold you up at knifepoint and demand all your shit, that is).

Don't hand cab drivers very large bills, particularly if they can tell that you're a foreigner and/or drunk. This is the best way to end up with counterfeit change.

As a general rule, keep your expectations low and you won't be disappointed too much. Particularly when it comes to food and customer service. Think it's difficult to get something fixed in your apartment in NYC? Just wait until you run into some problem here that requires someone to get off their ass and help you.

Above all, though, avoid the pizza. It's really fucking bad.

Personally I love it here, however, I would not live in Palermo. That is where most of the tourists and expats go and the thieves know it. It also floods a lot when we get any substaintial rainfall (which you probably have already realized since you got here a week ago...).

Criagslist is a good place to look for roomated or shared apartments or houses in the city. I have had some luck there.

As far as crime goes, you do have to watch out for yourself a lot here. I know all the tourist guides tell you that its still safe, and to a point, it is, but it can be dangerous. Most of the crimes are petty theft like pick-pocketing. They love to operate in crowded places such as buses and the subway so keep a good eye on your belongings and the people around you. A big thing is to blend in with the locals. Criminals love to target tourists here.

Night is just quieter and you have to keep your wits about you to stay safe. If you see someone how looks shady, just stay clear of them. It´s also a good idea just to take a casual glance behind you every know and then.

SSR is not completely wrong about the pizza, it can be pretty bad sometimes...But there are a few great restaurants in the center that have excellent pizza. For the most part, if you order food to your apartment, don´t order pizza.

And yes, the customer service here is appauling. I waited tables in the states and I can not stand eating out, especially at places where I´m forced to pay for a tip when I saw the waiter 2 times.

My best advice is to have fun and don´t sweat the small stuff here.

Don’t walk around looking like your rich. In Palermo especially there are so many people to choose from who are wandering around with there whole jewelry box on or their iphone sitting on the table. They’ll get robbed a lot quicker!

It really depends where you are in Palermo, in my opinion up from santa fe between scalabrini Ortiz and Fitzroy are safe to walk at any time as long as your following the above advice.

I second Craigslist. It’s excellent especially if your Spanish is bad.
Oh and be prepared for every 1 and a half people you meet to be writers!

ssr is exaggerating. Sure there is crime, but it's not that bad. Just be street smart and you should hopefully not have a problem.

Hello to a fellow NYer. Don't walk alone at night. It's just a bad idea Street crime is definitely higher here than in NYC. Keep your wallet in your front pocket or better yet, don't take a wallet out - just carry some cash. If you're carrying a camera, blackberry, iphone, etc - don't use it on the street. If you have a laptop and want to use it in a cafe - don't sit outside. Take precautions and you should be fine.

Personally, I just eat a lot of the local pizza- it acts as a crime repellent.

Works great- I havent had a single problem, and my wife dropped her wallet, full of money, credit cards, and more- within 2 hours someone emailed to return it, untouched.
She eats a lot of pizza too... :D

I'm so happy that you seem to be acting as a magnet for all the thieves. I can walk everywhere and probably they look at me and say, "bah, its a local, let him be"

Back