A Shitty New Years Eve.. and the Porteño Attitude

I am sorry to hear what happened to you. I do not quite understand your description of the girls reaction. As a side note I would say that it was a really bad idea going to Plaza San Martin at night. You would get robbed there any day of the week, and even more before a big holiday. Any porteño knows that that park is only 2 blocks from villa 31, I am surprised your friend didn´t know this. Nobody will kill you ar stab you there, but it is a place to get robbed for sure at night.

nikad said:
I am sorry to hear what happened to you. I do not quite understand your description of the girls reaction. As a side note I would say that it was a really bad idea going to Plaza San Martin at night. You would get robbed there any day of the week, and even more before a big holiday. Any porteño knows that that park is only 2 blocks from villa 31, I am surprised your friend didn´t know this. Nobody will kill you ar stab you there, but it is a place to get robbed for sure at night.
EXACTLY! Well said.

ghost said:
ditch the bitch

Ceviche said:
They (Portenas) rather support a criminal on the street if he is a local than support the robbed/ mugged/beaten expat bf. Believe me, I have seen expats experience this with 3-4 different Portena girls in last 4-5 years.
Amazing...

dennisr said:
That is pure unadulterated BS. Have been around the block a few times and find your evaluation offensive. Cannot count the times my GF and AR friends have helped me and gone the extra mile to gurantee my safety. They are always appauled and embarrased whenever they hear of a tourist/expat is the victim of an assault, crime or gouged by a merchant. They take it very personal. You need to find a new circle of friends and change your playground.

Everyone is a different individual with different set of experiences.

What might seem utter bullshit to someone may actually be another person's actual experience.

I would again say to newly arrived vulnerable English speaking expats first time in BA..enjoy BA , it's culture, date the local women , be optimistic overall but don't expect the local girls to take yr side if it involves their countrymen.

Now the veterans of this forum can take out their keypads ( mightier than a real sword) and continue ridiculing me. I don't give a f$&k!

The whole experience really sucks and I'm so sorry you had to go through it, rcmedia. I'm wondering what insurance you have, so that the rest of us can protect our stuff too?

nikad said:
As a side note I would say that it was a really bad idea going to Plaza San Martin at night. You would get robbed there any day of the week, and even more before a big holiday. Any porteño knows that that park is only 2 blocks from villa 31, I am surprised your friend didn´t know this. Nobody will kill you ar stab you there, but it is a place to get robbed for sure at night.

I was thinking the same thing. I live two blocks from this plaza and won´t take my kids to play there because of the amount of dodgy people who hang around / live there now - and that's during the day.

Really sorry to hear what happened, and that was really stupid of porteña girl to go telling anyone where you're from, especially given where you were at the time!!

Thuraya said:
The whole experience really sucks and I'm so sorry you had to go through it, rcmedia. I'm wondering what insurance you have, so that the rest of us can protect our stuff too?

I hope the coverage applies to a robbery in the street/park etc. Perhaps a traveler's insurance policy will cover the loss, but few (if any) Argentine issued policies do.

I have Mapfre insurance for my house and contents. Loss from robberies and burglaries are only covered if they occur inside the house. If I get mugged elsewhere its my loss.

I recently asked my agent if I am covered for storm damage...such as a tree falling on the house in a strong wind. She said no...that's "clima" and the structure (mostly brick with a tile roof) is only covered for fire damage.

How well do you even know this girl? From the description you gave it sounds to me like she may be in on the scheme. First of all, I don´t think a genuine porteño friend would take you there at night. Porteños are often very protective of their foreign friends. I imagine a lot would feel embarrassed if someone had an experience like that on New Years. They take pride in their country and would want to show you the best of it.

Just wondering. Did this happen on new years eve with huge crowds of people around and no one came to your aid? Or was this some other night in a mostly empty park?

mhenna11 said:
Do you know her well? Maybe is involved in mugging you, you never know, she sounded too detached to care about you. Or is this a trait of the traditional upper middle class porteno?

And how often does a "traditional upper middle class porteño/a" become "friends" with an English speaking foreigner who has been in BA for one month and go out with him on a night traditionally spent with their closest Argentine friends?

Back