A True Story, Tenant Versus Landlord

Guys;
If you rent and have a contract in dollars and cant pay, show up with the banco nacion price of the foreign currency ( official price) and that is what you have to pay.
any further talking is useless.
the law says this is fine to do.
As a matter of fact this is the only legal way to pay.
Get good advice
Fredd

What about going directly to a good relocation & rentals real estate?
I work in one, in La lucila and the have been in this bussines from 46 years now.
If you have a pain in your body you go to a medic.
If you have problems in your car, to a mechanic
In rentals everyone has an opinion!!
its really amazing
You were very lucky she didnt get some " piqueteros" for free in the flat,
Then, you would really have a nightmare
Fredd
Guys;
If you rent and have a contract in dollars and cant pay, show up with the banco nacion price of the foreign currency ( official price) and that is what you have to pay.
any further talking is useless.
the law says this is fine to do.
As a matter of fact this is the only legal way to pay.
Get good advice
Fredd

Fredd:

First quote here was an advice for me, to use a serious real estate agency......next quote you made is how it is 100% legal to pay at the official dollar rate, even that the contract specifies dollars...I do not need a real estate agency to help me get screwed......pointless....I manage on my own!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear. I must warn you that the pre signed eviction means jack s**t. She can get " sick " etc and you will end up screwed up anyways. You should have payed a couple thugs to go into the apt, dump her stuff outside and change the locks. That is the way to go.
There you go, I was thinking exactly the same, you were trying to evict her in American way and she is a Realtor and knows " her right".
Thugs are right and effective way to do it in Argentina. I am not joking, that's exactly what I will do when I have an arse like that.

Anyone have some good advice and tips if you are planning on renting to Expats? I am planning on renting my apartment because I want to start living in Zona Norte, but I don't want to sell it at this moment in time to buy in Zona Norte. I am planning on renting to Expats in dollars. Any sort of tips would be appreciated.
I always rent my in dollars. The tips are: always make your apartment very attractive, set a reasonable price, have several candidates, you can find out a lot about your
future tenants by knowing him/her a little bit more, I can smell an ass*hole from miles away, choose a nice reasonable person. If the reasonable person turns into
an ass (which never happens to me), you have to be tough, thugs are more effective than lawyers, jungle law is the law in Argentina.
Also always takes care of the issues in the apartment, never delaying fixing the problems. Do not give your tenant excuses not to pay you. You fulfill all your landlord's
duties, and expect your tenants to do his/her part. Once you get it going, and convinced that your tenant is a nice reasonable person, you can relax a little bit.

@Fredd, you can get good advice about the way the law is WRITTEN, but what foreigner wants to get into a quilombo fight with their landlord over an apartment rental, an apartment containing their few possessions in the country, to which their landlord probably have extra keys? And how much good will that advice do if it is extralegal thugs coming to your apartment to evict you? : ) If someone is so unethical as to not accept your payment when dollar purchasing becomes too difficult, I would either make good or get the hell outta there. If they are that much of a sinverguenza, who knows what they are capable of. But that’s just me.

So yea, I guess it’s not just unethical but ILLEGAL to rent in dollars. And maybe it is illegal to ask for rent paid in dollars but when did obeying the law stop people here if the judicial process takes years? Just stating it’s not legal doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. every day. all over this city.

I still think it is not only illegal, but slumlord sh**ty, to ask for rent paid in physical dollars on long term rental contracts unless people have a way to transfer them to a bank. Buying dollars is only going to get more difficult.

Sorry to hear. I must warn you that the pre signed eviction means jack s**t. She can get " sick " etc and you will end up screwed up anyways. You should have payed a couple thugs to go into the apt, dump her stuff outside and change the locks. That is the way to go.

That's pretty much the only way to do it, unless you have the time and money to sit out years with lawyers. My brother-in-law's brother was building a place in Caballito a few years ago, he had been checking on it everyday -- one day he got there and in the 15 hrs or so since his last visit a couple of families had installed themselves and barricaded the door. He called my brother-in-law, his dad, a few cousins and they all went over there with some bats and even a chainsaw and basically stormed the castle and took it back. Lucho says he felt pretty bad about it in the end because it was only 2 families and the women each had a few young kids, but if they hadn't done it that way, they would have been years in court because trying to get a woman out who has a kid -- forget about it, you have small chances of winning that easily.

Terkild ha ha ... Im only comenting about it, not ordering someone.
Just be aware of facts in buenos aires.
Maybe you will need a good real estate to manage your property next time.
Its a fact you had a problem before.
A trained person will do a better job. Perhaps you can continue renting yourself and save ( save?) some money.
reduce risks if possible.
Chao
Fredd

@Fredd, you can get good advice about the way the law is WRITTEN, but what foreigner wants to get into a quilombo fight with their landlord over an apartment rental, an apartment containing their few possessions in the country, to which their landlord probably have extra keys? And how much good will that advice do if it is extralegal thugs coming to your apartment to evict you? : ) If someone is so unethical as to not accept your payment when dollar purchasing becomes too difficult, I would either make good or get the hell outta there. If they are that much of a sinverguenza, who knows what they are capable of. But that’s just me.

So yea, I guess it’s not just unethical but ILLEGAL to rent in dollars. And maybe it is illegal to ask for rent paid in dollars but when did obeying the law stop people here if the judicial process takes years? Just stating it’s not legal doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. every day. all over this city.

I still think it is not only illegal, but slumlord sh**ty, to ask for rent paid in physical dollars on long term rental contracts unless people have a way to transfer them to a bank. Buying dollars is only going to get more difficult.

Is it really illegal to rent a property, US bank account to US bank account? That does not sound like it's illegal to me.

@Fredd, you can have good advice and facts about the way the law is WRITTEN, but what foreigner wants to get into a quilombo fight with their landlord over an apartment rental, an apartment containing their few possessions in the country, to which their landlord probably have extra keys? And how much good will those facts do you if it is extralegal thugs coming to your apartment to evict you? : ) If someone is so unethical as to not accept your payment in pesos when getting your hands on dollars becomes impossible, I would either make good on the dollars or get the heck outta there as soon as possible. If they are that much of a sinverguenza, who knows what they are capable of? But that’s just me. I also don’t think the simple solution is to recommend every tenant to go with an inmobilario/real estate agent because that can be way more costly and carry other kinds of risks; there’s just as many bad inmobilarios as good, if not more.

So, I stand corrected, Freddo. It’s not just unethical but ILLEGAL to rent in dollars. And maybe it is illegal to ask for rent paid in dollars but when did obeying the law stop people here if the judicial process takes years? Just stating something is illegal doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. every day. all over this city.

Lots of things are illegal when it comes to buying/charging in/transacting in dollars nowadays, but I still think it is more slumlordish than usual to set up a contract in dollars, unless your tenants know the risks and have a way to transfer the dollars. Obtaining dollars is only going to get more difficult in the short term.

Terkild ha ha ... Im only comenting about it, not ordering someone.
Just be aware of facts in buenos aires.
Maybe you will need a good real estate to manage your property next time.
Its a fact you had a problem before.
A trained person will do a better job. Perhaps you can continue renting yourself and save ( save?) some money.
reduce risks if possible.
Chao
Fredd
What training does a Real Estate Agent have that I don't, besides an Escribano? Personally, I think Real Estates Agencies in Argentina are a crock and virtually useless now with the Internet.

Back