A True Story, Tenant Versus Landlord

I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you. It sounds like a pain in the a$$ dealing with this unethical woman. Just out of curiosity, why not just totally out this thief? I assume this woman's name is Jennifer (per your post) but why not just post her details with first and last name so everyone avoids her. With the power of Google, she would probably not only never get another chance to screw someone over but if she did something like this to me, I'd not only post her details but I'd post details of HER rentals as well.

I would post details of HER on every scam website out there and post links to all her rental properties. With the power of the Internet, people really need to spread the word and warn against people like this.

It doesn't sound like there is anything she could do either.

Is it really illegal to rent a property, US bank account to US bank account? That does not sound like it's illegal to me.

I believe yes, it is illegal to write contracts for rentals in dollars now due to the "pessification" of all rental agreements. And I suppose not technically illegal if you were getting the pesos converted to dollars at official rate and paid to a US account and declaring that income to AFIP but I'm guessing that may not be the case ;)

Also, keep in mind that if your utility bills show the apt was being used, AFIP is going to assume you rented it out and if you aren't paying taxes on that income, you may be in a world of hurt.

Talk to rental property owners here though for the best info.

@Jaredberryman, not a lawyer. But at first glance of the , it looks like the government still allows rental contracts to be established in dollars and "allows" Argentines to receive them but also seems to gives debtors the option to pay on a contracted debt written in any foreign currency in pesos. From the article: "El tratamiento de esta cuestión de fondo fue además acompañado con otros dos artículos referidos a la opción de que cualquier obligación que se estipule en dólares u otra moneda extranjera pueda ser cancelada en pesos al cambio oficial."

I guess what may be seen as illegal is to DEMAND dollars or else the rental contract is cancelled, but doesn't this sort of defeats the point of CONTRACTING payment in dollars if the other party can back out at any time? Pero que sé yo. We only rent por dueño, en pesos, to argentinos who are gente de confianza.

Hello,
I guess I do not fit in.

I want to buy and sell properties within laws that protect me and the buyer (including fraudulent escribanos, abogados, inmobilarios, contadores, architectos, y employeados.. (sorry for mispelling...)-
I read the vein of people looking after their own interests...
I am afraid that is why I am victim of fraud, theft, embezzlement and extortion...
by escribanos, abogados, architectos, inmobilarios (from New York USA, JM), and employees....)
I have always believed in the good and honesty of people
until I have learned that I my beliefs have been broken...

people replying before me
sometimes are guilty of opportunistic actions
some are only out for themselves...

that is the challenge faced by honest people, with honest intentions
and
people who choose to take advantage of the immediate situation..
no matter who suffers from their actions.

so sorry about this..

The worst are the American or European real agents operating in the city . The dupe newbie, naive expats quite often. The best way is to rent directly from the owners of the apartments.

Webmistress, so sorry to hear your experience. You sound like my kind of person!

One question, are there ways to check things like credit, past references, criminal records, etc? My son had a rental business in Montana (U.S.) and I helped him some with the clerical side. He checked all those things, took applications from interested prospects, asked for references of former landlords (which he checked) then chose from among them and it was amazing. He never really made a mistake with a tenant. He turned some down just because he felt their income wasn´t enough for them to actually pay. He was always really nice to them.

Is anything like that possible here? From what I hear, landlords really do have disadvantages. I must say, learning to do business in Argentina is an . . ummmm . . . . interesting experience to say the least.

Strange - I answered this and my post didn't show up.

I believe pessification requires rental contracts in pesos. And if you are getting paid external/external accounts, you *should* be declaring that income to AFIP. And they do check utility bills when selling and if they show use, it's not your principal residence, they will assume you received rent and should have declared income and paid taxes on it.

The worst are the American or European real agents operating in the city . The dupe newbie, naive expats quite often. The best way is to rent directly from the owners of the apartments.

too much vinegar and lemons or limes or spicey peppers,,
the owners can be the most fraudument with NO protection for the renters...
estate agents, rental agents offer no protection! NONE.

Please write if there is an Argentine Professional organisatio with standards,
meeting laws, about renting, rental agreements, in detail...
I have been unable to find one...

I have been unable to find an organisation where inmobilarios must meet requirements
in their advertising, checking out and documenting property details,, including
whether they have city plumbing, the costs and also if they have "black water..."

this kind of thing is what the buyer needs to know
and
it seems there is no organisation ensuring that inmobilarios are honest and forthcoming,,,
what do you say?
I am dying to make a sarcastic comment.
but, will not.

I cannot believe it.,,
you are the spittin image of a potential, face to face friend from Argentina!

I love your vitality, goodness, serenity and happiness in your foto!
LOVE IT
thank you so much for your time and your goodness.
mx

Yes, rent directly from the expat owners, that's how you get the best deal.

Back