A True Story, Tenant Versus Landlord

It is not Argentina that makes you opportunistic. You can look for tenant-landlord horror stories for both sides in any city of the world. My parents rented their house in Mexico City to the sister of Miguel de la Mardid, who was president of Mexico at the time. The nice middle aged lady, did not pay the rent in a year... My parents got into a legal fight to evict her and then when she finally left, the house was trashed. Toilets smashed with a mallet, wallpaper ripped and curse words written on the walls... very nice. Then, as a renter. I have had landlords that don't do any upkeep of the property, who just keep the security deposit -I promise it was not called for... and that was in the US. The only difference is that in the US the rent contract is very specific and there is not much the owner or the renter can deviate from. So, in our case we lost the security deposit, that was it.
People are people. What can I say?

The problem in Argentina is that if they would make it easier to evict tenants, they could take away the requirement for a Garantia, and it would be much easier for everyone all around. It's very hard to rent in Capital, and not everyone can get a garantia. I am somewhat nervous about renting my place. Hopefully, I can find some nice expats who are honest, but as Parvati points out, people from everywhere can be dishonest.

I can´t help you if you dont understand the difference.
I guess you go to a doctor in pain, besides you have internet, or not?
that was only a personal opinion

I have been renting my apartment in palermo, for the last 5 years! i started with an imobiliria because i was in Canada, and couldn't do it myself, they were great but honestly took a huge cut, of the rent money, not really for finding the place but more to pick up all my bills and have them paid, which is a pain to do.
now i live here permanently, for the last 4 years and have been renting it myself to foreigners, usually 2 or 3 months at a time, because they are just passing through, and I've honestly had amazing people (knock on wood) I've never had to keep a damage deposit and have actually ended up being super friends with all the renters in the end. I think that they definitely feel more comfortable renting from a foreigner as well. Ofcourse your going to have wear and tear from all the renting but its definitely a good investment to rent!
good luck:) oh and you definitely have to follow your gut feeling, i love having my apartment rented for income, but i definitely need to like the person and feel good about them or i won't rent to them.

The problem in Argentina is that if they would make it easier to evict tenants, they could take away the requirement for a Garantia, and it would be much easier for everyone all around. It's very hard to rent in Capital, and not everyone can get a garantia. I am somewhat nervous about renting my place. Hopefully, I can find some nice expats who are honest, but as Parvati points out, people from everywhere can be dishonest.

A funny one:
So called " garantia" in province of buenos aires ( this is olso vicente lopez olivos martinez san isidro etc.)
All property given for garantia of the province of BA, if itsthe only property it is legally as " bien de familia" and this means
not good for garantias any more, so they are not accepted any more.
It´s good for the ones dont pay taxes and others as welll
regards

Back