A year in a Slum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think i could go live in a slum for a year. I'd love to know more information about your time too.

scotttswan said:
I don't think i could go live in a slum for a year. I'd love to know more information about your time too.

Especially when he was able to post here during the past year...with what appears to be a couple of breaks of two or more months each...but never said anything about living in deprivation in a villa...with access to the internet.

Anyone who is interested can search all of his previous posts to see what I mean.

I won't delete my original post, but after thinking about it more, I retract some of the things I wrote. Perhaps if everyone had to spend even a week in a villa or similar conditions the world would be a much different place.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Original post

Definitely an interesting and though-provoking story.

Though, I have to say, without knowing more details, part of me finds it kind of condescending and voyeuristic. Not based on anything you said, but the fact that you CHOSE to live in a villa. What did the people you lived with think about you being there? It's one thing to live in a villa when you know you can leave at anytime.

I kind of admire your balls for being able to live in a Villa and would like to hear your stories. But at the same time, I'm not sure what value it has beyond semi-voyeurism. The poor in any country generally aren't lacking understanding, solidarity, or sympathy. Your and all of our energy would be better spent trying to find ways to make their situation better.

tomdesigns said:
I decided as part as part of my experience in Argentina that I would spend a year in a slum or chantey town. When I came here the first time, the poverty so shocked to me it was breath taking. What intrigued me more is that I could not understand it.

<snip>

It has angered me that we with our educations and understanding would let these things go on. It has made me question what we first world people are. And you have seen it my posts here. If I offended you in my posts, I am not sorry, frankly, I am ashamed of us.

Do you seek answers?

Start with this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAfuRSOr4p8

The majority of minds that happen to watch it will miss the truth and will merely see it as “interesting”, witty or “arty” and will completely miss the fact that it is an accurate description of current reality – a reality to which they are “blinded”.

TrevorCito said:
Do you seek answers?

The majority of minds that happen to watch it will miss the truth and will merely see it as “interesting”, witty or “arty” and will completely miss the fact that it is an accurate description of current reality – a reality to which they are “blinded”.

This pretty much sums it up.

TrevorCito said:
Do you seek answers?

Does this include the reality that the OP's OP may be just a dramatic story?

Please prove me wrong, Tom.

How can we believe your story while you continued to post here during the past year without any comment about your life of deprivation?

tomdesigns said:
It has angered me that we with our educations and understanding would let these things go on. It has made me question what we first world people are. And you have seen it my posts here. If I offended you in my posts, I am not sorry, frankly, I am ashamed of us.

We are lucky - that's what we are. Who would have thought living in a slum is terrible? :rolleyes:

And what is the solution? What can "we" do? You do realize that the poor outnumber those that have, yes? That we can't give... that systems and governments need to be changed so that people can stand on their own two feet?

I wouldn't be ashamed, I'd be outraged :mad: that there are governments that keep their people down by terrible policies and creating a population dependent on handouts because they have few other alternatives. I'd be angry that the slums are filled with immigrants while there's plenty of Argentines suffering. (Not that I don't feel for the plight of these people as well, but resources aren't exactly plentiful. Have you seen state schools?) I too was shocked at the kids begging on the street, the ones standing sometimes alone on busy medians washing windshields or juggling. :( Or 7 year olds traveling on the metro or bus alone and collecting money during school hours. It's sad and it shouldn't happen, but there's no magic solution except to create a more prosperous country through industry, innovation, education, and hard work. In other words, a lot of sacrifice... but it's just easier to vote for "futbol para todos!" It's the same ones that suffer that vote for crooked governments that make silly promises that don't really do anything to help them get ahead long term. These changes must come from within.

I don't know what villa you were in, but I live in an area surrounded by poor... they live however they can. Many do have electricity and water. By the way, you can shower with as little as two buckets of water... it's tough in the winter for sure, but I've done it. If you can boil a gallon or so (over a fire or on a stove) and pour it in a bucket mixing it with cold water to bring to a comfortable temperature, you can sponge bathe or at least spot clean. Europeans figured this out centuries ago. Actually I think their situation could be much improved if they put a little more effort into their standard of living. You don't have to be rich to gather your trash and not spread it out in huge piles alongside the road, either. :p

There might not be "villas" in the US or other first world nations, but there's always poor neighborhoods. It's just a lot more widespread in Argentina. In a country rich in natural resources and a relatively educated population, I wouldn't place blame elsewhere except on the governments here.

Eclair said:
but resources aren't exactly plentiful.

The resources are there. There is enough food to feed the entire planet. There is enough energy to power the entire planet. We humans have a long way to go... This film is excellent. "What is money??"

Interesting, but not really sure of the substance of the post. As someone who has actualy worked in youth and children education programs within villas, I would love to know what you did during your year of villa living. Do you have a blog or any other supporting documentation?

walkingtwig said:
Interesting, but not really sure of the substance of the post. As someone who has actualy worked in youth and children education programs within villas, I would love to know what you did during your year of villa living. Do you have a blog or any other supporting documentation?

Do you have a blog walkingtwig? Would be interesting to hear about your experiences too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back