A year in a Slum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the closest I've come to an experience similar was staying a month with my wife's family on their land in Paraguay.

I understand the poverty you're talking about, Tom, though I didn't need to spend a year living with them to understand how completely mired in not only poverty but complete ignorance most of the poor in the world are. I found places like Angola, India (at least 15 years ago) and Tunisia even worse...

The problem is, short of rolling in with our tanks and jets and changing governments around the world, there's not much that can be done. And that doesn't work either because it has to come from within, from the people themselves. Embargoes against government don't hurt the leaders usually, but rather the very people you're trying to help.

The best way to deal with poverty, in my opinion, is education.

My wife's family, until fairly recently, lived with no electricity, dirt floors, in a tiny house made of hand-cut rough timbers, gaps in the walls, grass roofs. A hand-dug well. No appliances, little furniture. About 8 years ago my wife and her older sister came to BA to find work and lived with rich Argentines cleaning their houses and washing their clothes and taking care of their children.

They managed to send enough money home to build a (small) brick house with a tile roof, over two years. I met my wife just about the time they had completed the house. It had no glass windows, rough wooden shutters and doors. Still no bathroom. They used a quite unsanitary outhouse and bathed with cold well water (even in the winter) on a small concrete slab outside, closed off (mostly) with the same rough planking their old "house" was built of (they still use the old house - 12 brothers and sisters requires a lot of space).

They also got electricity about the time they finished the house. My wife, when she arrived here (so she tells me) could barely speak any Spanish, and when I went there, only a few of the younger ones (including my younger 16-year-old sister-in-law who lives with us) had learned any Spanish in school. to this time, I have to have conversation with her father translated. Everyone there speaks Guarani. I haven't learned it yet, unfortunately.

They saved up enough money while my wife and her sister were getting the house built to have a 150 meter well drilled, and bought a pump to get the water out. The water table that is accessible by hand-dug wells dries up in the summer and they had to go to a small stream, about half a kilometer away, to bring water to the house for cooking. Baths didn't happen very often in the summer.

The new well and pump were going to help them get away from purely subsistence farming as well. Mandioca and sesame are about the only crops that can be grown there without irrigation.

My father-in-law planted strawberries and tomatoes soon after getting a rudimentary irrigation system implemented. They got off one crop of each before the pump was stolen. They guarded the pump night and day, but one of the kids, who was on guard duty at the time, came back to house for about half an hour for a piece of birthday cake during a celebration and when he got back, the pump was gone.

They found out later that one of their neighbors had stolen it. Sold it for about $50 USD - it was worth around $2000 USD. Not only did they want the money ($50 was about a month's salary for that family), but the rumors were that it was also targeted because the family of the guy who stole it were jealous that my wife's family had managed to move ahead just a little bit from others around there.

They suffered for four years because they lost that pump.

After I met my wife, I went to meet the family and got married there. Absolutely great people. But ignorant. My father-in-law never finished 3rd grade. My mother-in-law finished high school with her first daughter two years old. She's considered fairly highly educated.

Before I left, we made a deal with a local builder to build them a bathroom. I couldn't believe how they were living.

They never told me about the whole pump thing until fairly recently. They're very proud people, which is not very common there. Most people who live around them do anything they can to take advantage of others, particularly if they are seen as having money. They couldn't imagine asking me for help, thinking that I'd think their daughter married me just so they could take advantage of me.

At first my wife wanted us to send $50 a month to their family to help them survive. As I started understanding a little more the dynamics of their situation and started thinking how to help them, I realized that 1) sending $50 a month was just helping them buy a few essentials every month but wasn't doing anything substantial and 2) giving people money to live does absolutely nothing to help them get out of their predicament.

I bought them a small herd of cows, pigs, chickens and sheep. They started selling milk and cheese from the cows, eggs from the chickens. The animals reproduce and are eaten and sold at times. Their standard of living and their ability support themselves soared. We've helped out with a few things here and there afterward, but not emergency, dire things.

When I found out about the pump, I knew we had to figure out a way to get them another one. This was about a year ago. We still had to get a better irrigation system installed, but up until now, they've been selling crops other than sesame and mandioca.

I recently found out that they had gotten themselves into "share-cropper's" debts with a local sesame company and a bank who take advantage of the ignorant poor to get the farmers' crops at just about cost. It's a long story how my father-in-law got so in debt, but he thought he was being smart and buying wholesale for the company with loans from the bank and got totally screwed by them and also by the farmers he was buying harvest from.

We have brought 4 of my wife's brothers here, helped them get legal and find decent jobs and decent places to live (it's all relative) so they can help pay off the debt.

In the meantime, we got a new pump purchased and this time had it buried a few meters underground so it can't easily be stolen. We're now working on plans to finish up the irrigation system and I'm working with one of the sons, who has had some post-high school training administrative and agricultural training, to figure out the best rotation of crops to get the most out of their investment. At the end of the year the debt will be paid off and a plan in action for them to be able to plant at least 2 hectares with decent crops, maybe more if we can swing it.

I write all of this not to attempt to preempt Tom's unique story, but rather to try to answer a fundamental question beyond his "why" into "how."

Governments, particularly here, sure as hell ain't going to do a damn thing about any of this. Nor should they. They should get the f__k our of the way and let people do business, and treat everyone under the law equally. Until then, people have to be taught that they can do things for themselves. In the process, grow a grass-roots movement for real change.

The people themselves have to understand that they don't have to live in this kind of poverty. It's a choice, in the long run. It's a tough fight, and it takes more than getting up in the morning and lamenting the fact that they are poor and then demonstrating in the streets when things get bad (to them). The knowledge has to come to them in some fashion, confidence must be built, examples of how it is to be done actually put into place.

I decided five years ago when I visited my wife's family in Paraguay that I'd found my mission in life, as late as it is coming to me. My wife's family is an experiment in how to proceed, but I plan to move to Paraguay in some years and plant myself right there, in the midst of the poorest "departamento" in the country and start showing people slowly but surely how they can make things better. Until I die from natural causes or someone kills me :) (of course, I'm hoping the latter doesn't happen, but I'm not an idiot - this will upset a lot of people's horse carts).

But it requires capital to accomplish anything on any kind of scale. I'm working on various business projects that I hope in the not-too-distant-future will give me that capital.

Poor people need access to low-interest loans. They need to be taught some basic principles, such as reading and writing and how to think in a more logical, deliberate manner. They need to be taught that with a little cooperation amongst themselves they can start helping each other instead of helping to do the rich people's work of keeping each other down.

They need to be taught how to understand money and use it, not wish for it, steal it, or try to win the lottery. They need to be taught basic agricultural concepts. The list goes on and on.

A lesson that comes from a book from an organization that I don't particularly care for, but is included with many other good lessons if you read it the right way: don't give them fish - teach them how to catch their own.

I've seen such completely asinine, stupid and needlessly deadly things come out of this extreme poverty. But I've also seen these poor, ignorant people having been handed money and blow it on fancy food and clothes and have nothing left for it afterward. It doesn't work.

There ARE enough rich people around the world to do things like this, but that's not what it takes. What it takes is one-on-one compassion and people to get off their asses and spread a bit of their knowledge and know-how to individuals.

Sending money to a "feed the world" campaign you saw on TV ain't gonna do the trick, that's for sure. Neither is governments taking money at gunpoint from their citizens so that those governments can give it to other, even more corrupt governments, going to do anything but exacerbate the problem.

And BTW - I've been poor in the States (not literally dirt poor, but spent years wondering where my next meal, often, would come from). Most of the poor in the States, and those who think they know poor, have no idea what actual poverty is. It includes the inability to grasp ANY kind of opportunity because that opportunity just doesn't exit.

steveinbsas said:
This is a fascinating story.

Did you spend the entire year in deprivation?

quote]

No, here I am right on the edge of that but not totally in it. I could have gone all the way in but being almost 50 I do not think that would be wise.

but I am as close to that as you can get. In fact I am surrounded by it on every block. The area is a disaster, actually it looks like it was bombed in WW2 and never rebuilt. Some strange mix of the prosperity that was here a hundred years go and the poverty that exists now.

Deprivation.. occasionally they burn their garbage with their waste in it and when they do the smell is something I cannot describe to you.

One thing I would like to add all this.. These Argentines have been so good to me I do not have words. They have treated me like family. They have embraced me no matter my condition even in this place. And not because I have something from the first world but because they are Argentine. Outside of BA you will see the real Argentina.

Tom, do you mind telling us the area you were in? I notice that, as far as I could find in this thread, you didn't mention the area.

ElQueso said:
Well, the closest I've come to an experience similar was staying a month with my wife's family on their land in Paraguay.

I understand the poverty you're talking about, Tom, though I didn't need to spend a year living with them to understand how completely mired in not only poverty but complete ignorance most of the poor in the world are. I found places like Angola, India (at least 15 years ago) and Tunisia even worse...

The problem is, short of rolling in with our tanks and jets and changing governments around the world, there's not much that can be done. And that doesn't work either because it has to come from within, from the people themselves. Embargoes against government don't hurt the leaders usually, but rather the very people you're trying to help.

The best way to deal with poverty, in my opinion, is education.

The people themselves have to understand that they don't have to live in this kind of poverty. It's a choice, in the long run. It's a tough fight, and it takes more than getting up in the morning and lamenting the fact that they are poor and then demonstrating in the streets when things get bad (to them). The knowledge has to come to them in some fashion, confidence must be built, examples of how it is to be done actually put into place.

I decided five years ago when I visited my wife's family in Paraguay that I'd found my mission in life, as late as it is coming to me. My wife's family is an experiment in how to proceed, but I plan to move to Paraguay in some years and plant myself right there, in the midst of the poorest "departamento" in the country and start showing people slowly but surely how they can make things better. Until I die from natural causes or someone kills me :) (of course, I'm hoping the latter doesn't happen, but I'm not an idiot - this will upset a lot of people's horse carts).

But it requires capital to accomplish anything on any kind of scale. I'm working on various business projects that I hope in the not-too-distant-future will give me that capital.

Poor people need access to low-interest loans. They need to be taught some basic principles, such as reading and writing and how to think in a more logical, deliberate manner. They need to be taught that with a little cooperation amongst themselves they can start helping each other instead of helping to do the rich people's work of keeping each other down.

They need to be taught how to understand money and use it, not wish for it, steal it, or try to win the lottery. They need to be taught basic agricultural concepts. The list goes on and on.

A lesson that comes from a book from an organization that I don't particularly care for, but is included with many other good lessons if you read it the right way: don't give them fish - teach them how to catch their own.

I've seen such completely asinine, stupid and needlessly deadly things come out of this extreme poverty. But I've also seen these poor, ignorant people having been handed money and blow it on fancy food and clothes and have nothing left for it afterward. It doesn't work.

There ARE enough rich people around the world to do things like this, but that's not what it takes. What it takes is one-on-one compassion and people to get off their asses and spread a bit of their knowledge and know-how to individuals.

Sending money to a "feed the world" campaign you saw on TV ain't gonna do the trick, that's for sure. Neither is governments taking money at gunpoint from their citizens so that those governments can give it to other, even more corrupt governments, going to do anything but exacerbate the problem.

ElQueso, thank you for sharing this. I don't know you at all, but the last time you wrote about the conditions your wife's relatives were living in (here in BA!), I talked about it with my partner for days--how do we help people here? Giving money isn't the answer.
We want so much to be part of the solution, but not by paying thousands to "volunteer" with college students, or by putting ourselves or our family into a dangerous situation.
Thanks for shedding some light on that solution.

El Queso, I absolutely LOVED your post. It's almost enough to make me cry. You even have the philosophy right. You found a way to do what you should do. You showed them how to help themselves. This is what we need to do. Not just give a handout. You did provide animals, but that gave them an opportunity to work AND to have self respect. AND they were willing. Making people dependent destroys them and the families! You are so on target it makes me proud!

tomdesigns said:
I decided as part as part of my experience in Argentina that I would spend a year in a slum or chantey town. When I came here the first time, the poverty so shocked to me it was breath taking. What intrigued me more is that I could not understand it.

Sure you can look them over as the poor, but coming from the first world I wanted to understand this. Partly to understand them and also to understand why we the prosperous would let such thing as poverty prospers around us.

My 4rth day here I was walking in the street and some large garbage bags were on the curb, as I stepped over one, it started moving. Scared I jumped to one side.. Oh God.. what is that? A few seconds later second later an obviously handicapped child crawled out of the garbage bag with returnable bottle one hand and eating the meat off of some chicken bones from the garbage bag in the other hand.

To be honest with you.. Everything in my world and understanding changed in that moment, as I stood there in shock. But in the same moment I realized this is something I do not understand I cannot comprehend. And this was in the center of the city. Sure I could have just written off and walked on with the day.

That night in my hotel room I was overwhelmed thinking about this event. How it is that humanity could tolerate this. How is it that so many can walk past these things day in and day out and do little or nothing about it.
So I thought the best place to start to understanding was to live among the most poor. Granted, I am not poor but the only place to understand poverty is with the poor. Take a premier first world education and put in slum for a year. Most of you could not bear this and I certainly have not handled it well.

Hot water is very limited here.. The first thing I had to get used to was cold showers no matter the temperature. In the summer, that is not a problem but in winter it is pure suffering. So much so, that I would avoid bathing when it was cold.

So you start to get covered in filth not because you want to, but because you do not want to freeze for a few minutes. For me this was very depressing, I knew I was filthy but I did not want shower because I knew I would freeze my ass off. And I even started shaving less for the same reason. So here I am dirty cold and wondering. Then you start forcing yourself to shower in the cold only because you know you have to.

I did not let my nutrition go and I have eaten well here, because of my age that is not a risk I was willing to take here. But.. I see the poor with diets that are so sad and the inflation dragging their diets down. Bread, eggs, potatoes and not much more, it is rare that they eat meat, because with the inflation they simply cannot afford it.

I have been surrounded by suffering for almost a year. They suffer lack, nutrition problems and have metal health problems. The mental health problems are the most significant challenge they face. I believe most of that comes from a combination of lack of nutrition and lack of education and opportunity.

Now let’s step over to the dark side…

At about 1 AM on several occasions I have seen the young men and other men heading to the center of city dressed like women coming from to the poorest areas here. I will end this here.

I have seen my best friend’s father trained in or bye the USA arrested for crimes against humanity relating to the Juntas in the midst of all this poverty and suffering.

I have seen my country invade other countries bringing about the deaths of hundreds thousands. But nothing has changed my thinking more than a year in slum.

It has angered me that we with our educations and understanding would let these things go on. It has made me question what we first world people are. And you have seen it my posts here. If I offended you in my posts, I am not sorry, frankly, I am ashamed of us.

Soon I will leave this place, but I will never be the same after a year in slum in Argentina.

I can see you really integrated 100% into the slum life!
Hope your bed was not to hard/soft.....

steveinbsas said:
Does this include the reality that the OP's OP may be just a dramatic story?

Please prove me wrong, Tom.

How can we believe your story while you continued to post here during the past year without any comment about your life of deprivation?

It seems he is in Corrientes according to his location.
Also he has many times posted about living in deprived conditions, which is one of the first things that struck me.

Gringoboy said:
It seems he is in Corrientes according to his location.
Also he has many times posted about living in deprived conditions, which is one of the first things that struck me.
Exactly!

I am impressed that Tom has the courage of his convictions.

The most shocking thing in this thread though is the "pompous" and rather ignorant criticism. How do such closed-minded people end up venturing out to live in a foreign land?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back